Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

BookBuddie.com

[ Edited ]

I recently tried a trial subscription for two days with an internet based business called BookBuddie.com.  They sell ebooks for considerably less than  traditional book sellers. They told me that since their ebooks are sold in bulk, they can pass along this fabulous savings to the buyer.  Subscribers can redeem their purchased ebook credits whenever they want. 

I have not been able to find out a lot about them. From what I have learned, they have been in busines for two years; they are based in India; their server is in Sweden. Does anyone out there have a subscription with them? I have located new releases on their website for $2.00 (whereas Barnes and Noble and Amazon are charging considerably more for the same newly released books). 

I downloaded one book for my Nook Simple Touch and another book for my Kindle (2nd generation reader).  The formatting was excellent.  I am just wondering if this site is legal? It seems too good to be true.

When you change your focus, you will change your results.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: BookBuddie.com

You're right. It does seem too good to be true, offering books for a net far below the publisher's wholesale price. Somehow something seems wrong with this picture.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Concur... Quetzalcoatl is being squeezed into jars as medicine.

How does one do "bulk" sales of an ebook? After all, they only need one raw copy to reproduce; it's not like they bought a truckload of identical copies.

Baron Wulfraed
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Urban_Casey wrote:

I recently tried a trial subscription for two days with an internet based business called BookBuddie.com.  They sell ebooks for considerably less than  traditional book sellers. They told me that since their ebooks are sold in bulk, they can pass along this fabulous savings to the buyer.  Subscribers can redeem their purchased ebook credits whenever they want. 

I have not been able to find out a lot about them. From what I have learned, they have been in busines for two years; they are based in India; their server is in Sweden. Does anyone out there have a subscription with them? I have located new releases on their website for $2.00 (whereas Barnes and Noble and Amazon are charging considerably more for the same newly released books). 

Their site can be accessed at www.bookbuddie.com.  I downloaded one book for my Nook Simple Touch and another book for my Kindle (2nd generation reader).  The formatting was excellent.  I am just wondering if this site is legal? It seems too good to be true.

It's a scam. They are selling  pirated copies. (They have "To Kill a Mockingbird", which is not legally available as an ebook for any platform.)

If you have provided a CC number, you should cancel it immediately, as there is a good chance they have already sold it to other criminals.

roustabout
0 Kudos

The servers are in sweden, and the registrar is in Louisiana, a private domain registration.  

I do not know swedish copyright law, in particular how long copyright lasts there - it is possible that  TKAMB is out of copyright there.

However, the Hunger Games books for $1 apiece means you are probably buying books found on the pirate bay and converted in calibre.

Should the website be prosecuted, at least some of its customers will probably be billed for the books that were given to them, plus legal fees.

You should review some of the RIAA awards and budget accordingly.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Wordsmith
KingAl
0 Kudos

Good point about the servers. I believe copyright in Sweden is Life + 70 years, so the copyright on TKAMB is probably still in effect.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

It's a scam. They are selling  pirated copies. (They have "To Kill a Mockingbird", which is not legally available as an ebook for any platform.)

If you have provided a CC number, you should cancel it immediately, as there is a good chance they have already sold it to other criminals.

I hadn't caught that.  You're right.  I was trying to find a copy of that some months ago, and Harper Lee has never agreed to digital distribution.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It's funny though, because they don't have other books that aren't in ebook form but were in hot demand. 

I have no doubt that if they are not breaking the law they are bending it to within an inch of its life. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

It's funny though, because they don't have other books that aren't in ebook form but were in hot demand. 

I have no doubt that if they are not breaking the law they are bending it to within an inch of its life. 

If they're selling you bestsellers at a net price of a dollar apiece, there's no way they're doing it legitimately.  I'd be curious about the quality of the downloads, whether they're copied from digital editions or scanned and OCR'ed.  TKAMB would have to be the latter.  Are they even DRM'ed or have they unencrypted from some vendor?

They don't really have that many books in total.  If you check by category you'll find many of the same books listed as adult and science fiction and mystery.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

MacMcK1957 wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

If they're selling you bestsellers at a net price of a dollar apiece, there's no way they're doing it legitimately.  I'd be curious about the quality of the downloads, whether they're copied from digital editions or scanned and OCR'ed.  TKAMB would have to be the latter.  Are they even DRM'ed or have they unencrypted from some vendor?

They don't really have that many books in total.  If you check by category you'll find many of the same books listed as adult and science fiction and mystery.

At first it appears they are DRM'd as the instructions for loading an ebook to your Nook involve Adobe Digital Editions, but then goes on to mention a few other methods to load them on. 

I'm not about to give them any information in order to test out if the ebooks are protected. 

You'll also find some YA fantasy mixed in with adult fantasy, it does make you wonder just how many books they have in total. 

Checking a few books I also noted that they did not seem to directly have a nook version, though I imagine any of the non-amazon ones would work. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

They are probably buying legit copies and stripping DRM.

Frequent Contributor
Urban_Casey
0 Kudos

Thanks to all who replied to my post. My gut instincts are correct. I am cancelling my CC even though I have not seen anything charged to it yet. I would rather be safe than sorry.
When you change your focus, you will change your results.

Wordsmith
h2oskierc
0 Kudos

Wow, that is a nice looking website.  Are criminals getting that good these days?  Scary...

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

Wow, that is a nice looking website.  Are criminals getting that good these days?  Scary...

You can set up a really nice-looking website very cheaply with freely available open-source tools.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

h2oskierc wrote:

The more you look at it, the more issues you'll find.

On the surface it's a very polished glossy look.  But just looking through the how it works, and the how to get books on a device section should raise some red flags in terms of the inelegance displayed.

It's like the salesmen who go around with little trinkets.  Those trinkets may look nifty, but they've got a fairly high failure rate, and by the time they do fail the guy is long gone never to be seen again.

New User
Love22Step
0 Kudos

I took the bait and downloaded a couple of books for my mother-in-law.  I prepaid for about 18 more books, but the website has been shut down. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

I hope you didn't enter any valid credit card information. If so, you may be pre-paying more than you were expecting!

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez
0 Kudos

I seem to recall a Nook app store app called "Book Buddy" by 5ivedom, but I think it was changed to "Free Books" recently. Probably not associated with this website, though. And I never saw anything mainstream except for out of copyright books. They have a similar app called App Buddy. 

Inspired Correspondent
moony3424
0 Kudos

The website is now closed.  The message when you go there is:

The wesite has been closed, for any issues please contact us

at support@greatbooksupport.info