Contributor
kenborg
0 Kudos

Re: Boot from SD Card on my 8GB Nook Tablet

A thought strikes me, could one of you who have successfully created a SD that works flawlessly post the web addess for the download of the xda file? or did you use the link from the liliputing?

Ken

Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

The link I posted earlier will take you to liliputing, the link in that article will take you to the xda site where ou can get everything you need to write the card.
"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Contributor
kenborg
0 Kudos

That's the route I took. I figured maybe there was another source of the image file. Thanks.

Ken

Distinguished Correspondent
Reisnice
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

On the AndroidForNook site, in the FAQs, he says that he's hit several NT16s that require either being plugged into the wall charger or a PC to boot into Android. So far, he hasn't found any differences between them and others which work. He also hasn't found a way to get any of them to boot to Android without being plugged in. Sounds sort of like a hardware or firmware change to me. It would be interesting to know when those were manufactured compared with the ones that boot 'normally'. On the other hand, one would think that, if that were the case, all of the NT8s would act that way unless they discovered the 'fix' after the NT8 manufacturing run was ordered. It does make me lean more toward doing it myself or paying AndroidForNook $10 than spending $50 or more on N2A, only to find my NT 'fixed' on the next update that I don't block.

New User
suobs
0 Kudos

OK, this might seem basic, but before I do this, can someone help with terminology? 

I just want to get a Nook Tablet so it can run Android apps beyond what's on the B&N site  - is "booting" from an SD card the same as "rooting the device"?

What is CM7?

What is Android for Nook?

Are these procedures going to be undone when the software gets updated?

Tom51
0 Kudos

Tom51 wrote:

perry0718 wrote:

I seem to be having the same problems that Kenborg is having.  I posted this in the comments section of the instructions page:

I was able to boot from the SD card, but ONLY when my Nook Tablet was plugged in to the power cord. Once I removed it and went to battery, it would boot into the usual NT environment.  Also, the 'Reboot Into Recovery' for gApps installation didn't work, either.  The Nook would halt the startup and ask me to try rebooting.  

Any suggestions?  I'm running a Nook Tablet 16GB, OS 1.4.2, with a 32GB Class 10 SD Card.
Thanks!
I've also tried the suggestions on this board, and have gotten the 'factory reset' message, but no booting into CM7.

Yes, mine too boots into Android when plugged in to power cord.  Without it, it boots into NT. 

I did this yesterday but on a new Sandisk c4 8GB MicroSD (the previous card is 1 16GB from another manufacturere).  It worked this time.  So I'm convinced that this card changed the outcome.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

[ Edited ]

suobs: OK, this might seem basic, but before I do this, can someone help with terminology? 

I just want to get a Nook Tablet so it can run Android apps beyond what's on the B&N site  - is "booting" from an SD card the same as "rooting the device"?

What is CM7?

No, "booting from an SD card" and "rooting the device" are not the same. Booting from an SD card means you're running an entirely different operating system on the Tablet via the card. Rooting the device means you've changed the internal coding of the device to make it do what you want it to do.

CM7 is a popular (maybe the most popular) operating system the rooting community uses on the Nook - either through rooting or a bootable card.

Android for Nook provides files for making your own bootable SD card.

I think bootable SD cards are usually still usable after a software update. Rooting is usually undone.

And if I'm wrong on any of the above, I'm sure someone will come by and let us know. :smileyhappy:

Contributor
smarcin

TnTexas wrote:

suobs: OK, this might seem basic, but before I do this, can someone help with terminology? 

What is CM7?

No, "booting from an SD card" and "rooting the device" are not the same. Booting from an SD card means you're running an entirely different operating system on the Tablet via the card. Rooting the device means you've changed the internal coding of the device to make it do what you want it to do.

CM7 is a popular (maybe the most popular) operating system the rooting community uses on the Nook - either through rooting or a bootable card.

Android for Nook provides files for making your own bootable SD card.

I think bootable SD cards are usually still usable after a software update. Rooting is usually undone.

And if I'm wrong on any of the above, I'm sure someone will come by and let us know. :smileyhappy:

A couple of additions. When you use a bootable SD card for the Tablet, at least, you will have to/be able to shut down your Tablet completely, remove the card, and be able to then boot into the original B & N operating system. 

If you root, you may or may not put a different operating system, such as CM7 on your Tablet. If you put CM7 into the memory of your Tablet, you will no longer be able to boot into the B & N operating system, unless you flash it back to original.

Android for Nook also sells SD cards with CM7 on them. You can then boot from them. Or, you can buy the download from Android for Nook and make your own.

As for updating a bootable SDcard, with the Nook Color we could do that. So far, I don't think anyone has come up with an update for the Tablet SD card.

I think that the bootable SD card is a great convenience for someone who doesn't want to lose the B & N native operating system, but wants to be able to use the Tablet as a "real" Tablet.

I made my own bootable cards for my Nook Color, and have made my first one for my 16GB Tablet. The same process will work for the 8GB Tablet. All the cards I have made have worked fine. I used directions from XDA, but I've been a member there for over 4 years, having rooted all my Android phones. The directions from liliputing are more clear for a beginner. Also, the latest file I used from XDA included the Market. I think I had to use the Market to download the Google Maps and Gmail apps. Gtalk showed up at some point, not sure if it was included originally or if it came along with Gmail. When I first went to the Market, it updated to the newest version, which is now called "Google Play." It also changes the icon in the app drawer to "Play."

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

smarcin: When you use a bootable SD card for the Tablet, at least, you will have to/be able to shut down your Tablet completely, remove the card, and be able to then boot into the original B & N operating system. 

Really? You don't have to do it that way for the Color. All you have to do is turn it off, back on, and choose which operating system you want to use  - at least with the N2A cards. Maybe you have to do this if you make your own card and don't buy one from N2A. I'm pretty sure you don't have to do this with one of those for the Tablet.

Contributor
smarcin
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

smarcin: When you use a bootable SD card for the Tablet, at least, you will have to/be able to shut down your Tablet completely, remove the card, and be able to then boot into the original B & N operating system. 

Really? You don't have to do it that way for the Color. All you have to do is turn it off, back on, and choose which operating system you want to use  - at least with the N2A cards. Maybe you have to do this if you make your own card and don't buy one from N2A. I'm pretty sure you don't have to do this with one of those for the Tablet.

Well, you learn something new everyday. I had just made my card last night, and was going by what I had read. When in CM7, I held the power button until I got the shutdown menu. If I choose reboot, it will boot into the Barnes & Noble operating system. If I am in either B & N or CM7 and completely shut down, then turn my Tablet back on, it boots directly into CM7. No option to choose what to boot. I used the directions from XDA in the CM7 thread to make my card. 

As an aside, on the Nook COLOR, I made my own card that could boot either CM7 or CM9. With the card installed on booting it defaults to CM7. However, if you hold both the volume buttons while pressing the power button, it will boot into CM9. (I tried this on the Tablet. It makes no difference. It still boots into CM7, with no menu choice.)

Contributor
ts_hunter
0 Kudos

I created an micro SD bootable card according to the instructions on liliputing.com.   In step 3 it mentions that Win32DiskImage may only write a 4gb partition.    I have a 8gb card and I reformatted it so it would show 8gb available.   After I write the Team-B-CM7SD-Alpha_final.img image, the SD card shows that it is a 200mb card.   Is there a way to make it be 8gb again and still have the image on there?

Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

ts_hunter wrote:

I created an micro SD bootable card according to the instructions on liliputing.com.   In step 3 it mentions that Win32DiskImage may only write a 4gb partition.    I have a 8gb card and I reformatted it so it would show 8gb available.   After I write the Team-B-CM7SD-Alpha_final.img image, the SD card shows that it is a 200mb card.   Is there a way to make it be 8gb again and still have the image on there?

It shows a 200 MB card because the Windisk32 imaging program creates 4 partitions on the card and the first partition is only 200MB:

The first partition is the boot partition which just has a few startup files.  This is the only partition that you can see in Nook mode or when the card is in your cardreader, plugged into the PC.

The second and third partitions are hidden and contain the Android operating system.  Don't even mess with them :smileyhappy:

The fourth partition is your available space to use for downloading and storing files.  Since you have an 8GB card and the image you downloaded is created for a 4GB card, you have some unused storage you need to claim:

1.  Download a free program called Minit Tool Partition Wizard from download.com and install it.

2.  Insert your micro SD into a cardreader and plug it into your PC.

2.  When you start the partition program, you will see a couple drives.  One will be your hard drive (maybe you have more than one) and one will be your micro SD card.

3.  You will notice the micro SD card has 4 partitions, as mentioned already - you are looking for the unallocated space to the right of the 4th partition.  That is what you want to claim.

4.  Click on the 4th partition to highlight it.  Then go to the menu at the top and click "resize".  I am doing this from memory, so I might not have the commands exactly right.

5.  Click on the up/down arrow in the box to increase the size of partition 4.  Max it out and make it as large as you can.  Click OK or Save, whatever the option is.

6.  Go to the top of the menu and click "APPLY".  None of your changes will be committed until you click "apply".

7.  After it is complete (wait for a dialogue box to appear saying the actions are complete), close the program and eject your SD card properly by right-clicking on the drive letter in Windows and select "eject".  Do not remove the SD card from the PC until Windows says it is safe to do so, otherwise you could corrupt the files on the card.

8.  Insert the card into your Nook (power is off!) and turn it on.  It should boot right into Android!  To boot back into Nook mode, you have to be in Android mode.  Press the power button and select "reboot".

Have fun with your Android Tablet!

Dean

"AndroidForNook" will make your Nook a true Android tablet!
Inspired Correspondent
Niteryder
0 Kudos

Dean, Thanks for the info on partitioning the SD card. I did just as you said and it worked perfectly, I now have full use of the space on my SD card. Thanks Again for your great post!!
"Keep me, Protect me, Share me, and I Will Live Forever"
From the Kodak Gallery, A powerful & Moving Commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdWwqAI6x9A
Contributor
BNColorTablet
0 Kudos

Niteryder wrote:
Dean, Thanks for the info on partitioning the SD card. I did just as you said and it worked perfectly, I now have full use of the space on my SD card. Thanks Again for your great post!!

Niteryder, you're welcome - glad my instructions were clear enough!

"AndroidForNook" will make your Nook a true Android tablet!
New User
APFO
0 Kudos

I think it is the class 10 card - I tried with a class 10 and the same happened to me - I also tried to use the class 10 as a simple sd card - no good either does not show in settings although I got a card removal message when I removed it - tried a class 4 as an extra card and it worked fine - I have not tried the dual boot on the class 4 sd card yet - I can't seem to get the disk image when I unzip the CM7 file from the xda site - the file I originally used is on my currently unbootable desk top - computers are such fun -

New User
lylone71
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I highly recommend getting a card/file from android for nook.com.  Just make sure that you use the SanDisk care as recommended or puchase one from him already loaded.  His prices on 32gb card was cheaper than what I coulc get for one locally.  You do have to have some knowledge on the Android OS, but mine works like a dream and haven't seen a reason to go back to Nook, yet.

Wordsmith
PJLLB
0 Kudos

APFO wrote:

I think it is the class 10 card - I tried with a class 10 and the same happened to me - I also tried to use the class 10 as a simple sd card - no good either does not show in settings although I got a card removal message when I removed it - tried a class 4 as an extra card and it worked fine - I have not tried the dual boot on the class 4 sd card yet - I can't seem to get the disk image when I unzip the CM7 file from the xda site - the file I originally used is on my currently unbootable desk top - computers are such fun -

As I read it, the NT user guide says that the device only supports class 2, 4 and 6 cards (not class 10).   

Czechboy
0 Kudos

PJLLB wrote:

APFO wrote:

As I read it, the NT user guide says that the device only supports class 2, 4 and 6 cards (not class 10).   

It may be that the user guide says that, but I'm using a 16G class 10 in my NT and I've never had a problem with it.  I have noticed however that if you intend on downloading the AndroidForNook OS image, that site recommends using a class 4 card.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Reisnice
0 Kudos

I've been using a Sandisk 16gig class 10 since November and it works fine. There have been some bogus ones offered online, though. Class 10 cards are designed more for video, moving large, sequential files quickly. But trying to run an operating system from the card requires loading smaller, more random files, and seems to work better with class 4 cards. Several people have reported that they show videos fine, though. Actually, the class designation is more concerned with the WRITE speed than the read speed, so higher classes are recommended for video and D-SLR cameras.
Contributor
kenborg
0 Kudos

I followed your instructions for repartitioning and it appeared to work. However, when I check the microcard using Windows Explorer, it still only shows the nominal 190 mb. When I try to copy to one of the folders, it says insufficient space. How do I make Windows recognize the additional space?

Ken