Contributor
jahhuit
0 Kudos

Bought a blacklisted Nook tablet

Seems I have bought a blacklisted nook tablet. It was a Christmas gift for my daughter, so you can imagine I'm quite upset. I'm not too worried because I bought it on ebay via paypal for $215.00 so I can get my money back. I won't know for sure what will happen until tomorrow the 26th; I have to call back to speak to a senior analyst. They wouldn't give me the reason but I figured it out. One support rep asked if I wanted to unblacklist the device but when I gave her my name she said I had to call back. Guess she thought I was the original owner who had it blacklisted. I can't wait t see where this will go. Any comments will be appreciated.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Re: Bought a blacklisted Nook tablet

Ouch. 

From discussions of NCs in the past, the issue you may run into is that BN policy requires access to the original owner to sign off on the un-blacklisting.  The instance or two where folks had seen this was stolen devices.  Hopefully yours is listed for some other reason and the Ebay seller can get it delisted for you. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Reader 4
JohnBachmann
0 Kudos

Just curious about the location of the guy who sold you the device. I had one stolen in Yosemite, (California), on Nov. 19.

Contributor
jahhuit
0 Kudos

According to his status he's located in Brooklyn New York. That's where the item was shipped from.
Reader 4
JohnBachmann
0 Kudos

It would be interesting to know how many of these blacklisted devices are floating around. Is your NT useable at all or is it completely dead? I wondered how much of my e-mail, Netflix, etc. the person who took my Nook was able to access.

Contributor
jahhuit

I was able to get this device unblacklisted. I guess a senior rep had to be the one or at least approve that action. All they really asked was where I bought the device and my B&N email account. It took lest that 10 mins to get it done. I was transferred once and put on hold twice. They were very nice and professional about the whole thing. They never said why it was blacklisted and I never really asked. When I did ask on Christmas day I was told that that information could not be released. After it was unblacklisted I had to wait an additional 20 minutes before I could register the device. I did contact the seller and all he could say was that he was sorry and that he didn't know. He did offer to give my money back. Maybe he bought it off someone else for very cheap and sold it on eBay to make a profit......just saying.
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv

Kudos to BN for handling the situation so well.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Yep kudos to B&N as they didn't have to do squat.

And tho I buy from craigslist,ebay. When it comes to the Nook I buy new at at the store. As just worth the extra $50-$75 savings for no questions on full warrnaty. Hand holding if required.

I would have done the ebay B&N refrub's they had in nov. for $119. But by the time I had the money the sale was finished. And just went to store and paid the $199 as still very much worth that price.

As would always worry on 2nd or 3rd party used when it broke if I was going to be able to get it covered or not. And then the possiblity of not being de-registered and linked to other account.

So if you buy used. Make sure they due a factory restore on it and that it is de-registered before buying. I even seen them being sold with B&N content books like comes with 80 books. Sorry that is ignorance on the part of the seller. As soon as it is restored or de-registered those books are no longer available.

And if they leave them and don't bother with closing the B&N account then the new owner would be able to charge and download all kinds of books for free. And you holding the charges.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
New User
Book_fiendPH
0 Kudos

Well, having just left my Nook in a theater bathroom by mistake and having it gone and not turned in by the time I got back less than an hour later and by the time theater personnell checked for it in even less time than that, I certainly hope it isn't THAT easy to get it reinstated.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

If it is, it should be reinstated under a brand new name and credit card with no ties to you or your account. I realize that doesn't help you get your device back, but it does at least keep you from being charged for someone else's books.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Book_fiendPH wrote:

Well, having just left my Nook in a theater bathroom by mistake and having it gone and not turned in by the time I got back less than an hour later and by the time theater personnell checked for it in even less time than that, I certainly hope it isn't THAT easy to get it reinstated.

Did you try and report it to B&N as stolen?  I would hope they would have some process to record the serial numbers of stolen devices and prevent them from being used again.

New User
denisenj
0 Kudos

Im with you.  I would hope it wasn't blocked because it was stolen.  Mine was stolen last night at the Houlihan's in Holmdel, NJ.  I pulled up to my house 5 minutes later and told them I left it on the tavle and was coming back.  It was already gone!!!  We were there pretty late so no other people were even around us.  Bunch ok crooks work there.  I blacklisted mine and hope they never can turn it on and use it!!!

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Book_fiendPH wrote:

Except not every blacklisted device will have been blacklisted because it was stolen. Indeed, a possible reason it would tak a supervisor level or higher to un-blacklist it would likely be that access to the reason why it is blacklisted is restricted to supervisor level or higher.

New User
NanoEther
0 Kudos

You can always send the seller a message requesting the serial number, then call 1-800 the book (843 2665) and check to see if it's been blacklisted. You might miss a deal, but at least you won't get stuck with a brick.