New User
BruceMiller

Browse Web even after 1.1.0 update

You can still browse the web a bit despite the 1.1.0 update.

1. Press the "n" hardware button

2. Tap "settings"

3. Tap "Social"

4. Tap "Link to Facebook, Twitter, Google"

5. Under "Google" tap "Link Your Account"

6. Tap "Can't Access your account?"

7. Tap "Google Home" to bring up mobile Google home screen

You now can use Google to access limited web features and pages.

Dragging in any direction scrolls the screen.

Tap any link to follow it. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Jadjuka
0 Kudos

Re: Browse Web even after 1.1.0 update

This is going to sound dumb but I just got my N2E yesterday; there's a feature to surf the net?! T_T I got this thing because I found the net surfing to be a useless feature. That's what smart phones and computers are for.

In any case I do have a question on the Social feature. When I connect my nook to Facebook does it keep me logged in and take extra juice cause it's running in the background? I didn't know if it did that or not so I chose not to use any of the social features and just keep my Wi-Fi off if I'm not going to buy books.

Correspondent
Byteguy

[ Edited ]

Jadjuka,

No, the NST is not designed to surf the net.  They used to have a limited browser that B&N did not mention or support but they turned it off with the update (or, tried to).

Facebook doesn't run in the background. B&N links your accounts so you can post what you're reading and share with friends.  That bit of program only runs when you are using the appropirate screens.  Wi-fi is OFF when you turn it off and doesn't draw power.  Personally, I keep my wi-fi off almost all the time.  I love going 6 weeks between charges.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

Thank you!

The only reason I want to access the web from my NST is to look up words that aren't in the NOOK's onboard dictionary.

Now I can! 

Dave
Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger

OK.  I can get to the Google page, but cannot get the keyboard to come up so that I can do limited browsing. I have tapped the screen, touched it firmly, fussed at it and stared at it--none of that worked.

What am I missing?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

whiteginger wrote:

OK.  I can get to the Google page, but cannot get the keyboard to come up so that I can do limited browsing. I have tapped the screen, touched it firmly, fussed at it and stared at it--none of that worked.

What am I missing?

This has been an issue since the N2E was released - sometimes the keyboard comes up, sometimes it doesn't.  A restart helps... sometimes.

Inspired Wordsmith
whiteginger
0 Kudos

Thanks, keriflur.  I'll try again after a reboot.  It's not that I really need to browse the web--or even that I want to--on my NST.  I'm just curious.  :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

BruceMiller wrote:

You can still browse the web a bit despite the 1.1.0 update.

Tap any link to follow it. 

Thanks for posting this. It seems to work, but only up to a point. Whenever I've tried to use this method, after some small number of links I tap to follow, it simply stops following them. It just stays on the current page. The number seems to be around 4 or 5 -- which makes a certain amount of sense, as this browser was meant to be used only for one very limited task, one that probably takes that many clicks.

Clearly B&N would prefer to eliminate the browser entirely, but they've had to keep a limited version to support a few promised features. At this point I believe it's just the social features and the ability to log into some wifi hotspots. I wouldn't be surprised to see even more restricted apps appear for these purposes in later software releases.

On the other hand, I, for one, hope that they decide to move in the opposite direction and include a more functional browser as a supported feature. I don't consider this essential to my enjoyment of my NST, which I bought for reading and like very much indeed for that purpose. But there are occasions while I'm reading when I'd like to be able to look something up online without pulling out my phone or running to the computer. A browser would come in handy.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

I've a new NST with 1.1.2 firmware and seem to be able to use Wiki, Google or the weather radar loop with few problems.  If the Nook freezes, I very slowly shuffle my finger along the sides or bottom (or press twice the Nook button) to awaken the screen and restore the internet - most of the time.

Since there is no back button, I'm forced to stay on just the one web site, which isn't really too bad.  Google kindly prompts me for likely search strings, and I find this a passable form of bookmarking.  Of course, patience is essential.

While browsing the web, I think, I did on one occasion bring up a menu at centre of the screen, which had Copy among the five entries.  I have not been able to repeat it.

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

While browsing the web, if you touch a text entry area for 5 seconds, an Edit Text menu appears at centre of the screen, which initially has 6 options: Select all, Select text, Cut all, Copy all, Input Method and Add to Dictionary.  If you chose a select option and later touch again, a Paste option appears in the same menu.

Distinguished Correspondent
LastSilmaril
0 Kudos

swiping in the middle of the top bar from right to left in effect gives you back functionality. older versions of opera mini will also work once you root.
Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

"Swiping in the middle of the top bar from right to left in effect gives you back functionality"? 

I wish it did. Unfortunately, swiping while accessing the internet just returns me to the Settings | Social screen.

As for rooting, I will wait at least until my warranty expires at Christmas.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Joydeck wrote:

As for rooting, I will wait at least until my warranty expires at Christmas.

There's a reasonably well documented way to back up and restore an entire NST. I rooted mine some months ago and, after deciding I preferred it stock, restored to its pre-root state with no difficulty.

I'm not trying to convince you or anyone that it's 100% safe. Just pointing out that if you're careful and curious, you can experiment without voiding your warranty.

Frequent Contributor
Joydeck
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote: ...I rooted mine some months ago and, after deciding I preferred it stock, restored to its pre-root state with no difficulty.

Thanks for the link. I am most interested to learn why you preferred your Nook stock.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Why did I revert to stock?

1. I didn't find a reader/library I preferred to the stock version, even with its horrendous dictionary and shelving.
  2. Web browsing just doesn't work very well. Too much refreshing, too hard to get good contrast, too hard to resize even with the multitouch enhancements.
  3. Ditto for news apps. My favorites -- Currents and Pulse -- I couldn't find versions compatible with such an old Android OS. My favorite newspaper app was useless due to navigation and refresh issues.
  4. I tried getting Calibre to grab news feeds and convert to epub, with less than satisfactory results. (And of course you can do this and read the epubs with an unrooted device as well.)

All in all, even though I vastly prefer reading an e-ink screen compared to a backlit one, and even though it's heavier and harder to hold, I prefer my Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus for light browsing and news.

One of these days I'll re-root the NST and try some more experiments. I know more now and may be more successful. At the moment it's not worth the time since I'm reasonably content with the status quo.