New User
loljohn
0 Kudos

Buyer Beware of Nook

BN does not stand by the Nook.  I had my Nook Tablet for less than 18 months of limited use and it went totally dead.  BN staff agreed that is was defective as buttons did not register, the screen was jittery and it often had a mind of its own.  Today's technology products should last longer than 18 months.  BN support said that the unit was past warranty so too bad.  No credit towards a new unit or buy back credit.  If that's the way BN supports the Nook I guess it's Kindle from now on.  Just beware of buying a Nook.

Inspired Wordsmith
Swamprat

Re: Buyer Beware of Nook

loljohn wrote:

BN does not stand by the Nook.  I had my Nook Tablet for less than 18 months of limited use and it went totally dead.  BN staff agreed that is was defective as buttons did not register, the screen was jittery and it often had a mind of its own.  Today's technology products should last longer than 18 months.  BN support said that the unit was past warranty so too bad.  No credit towards a new unit or buy back credit.  If that's the way BN supports the Nook I guess it's Kindle from now on.  Just beware of buying a Nook.

Your description doesn't sound like it is "totally dead."  There are solutions that you could try if you want ot get it working - if not, gool luck in getting support for an out of warranty kindle, ipad or any other of today's technology devices.

Wordsmith
KingAl

Sorry, B&N has no obligation to give you a replacement device since it didn't fail in the first year (12 month warranty.)

A small percentage of any gadget will fail within 2 years.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

I'm not getting the validity of the complaint. It failed after warranty expired. And is irreverent how much you used it during the warranty period.

If it was truly defective which is quite possible. Then actually using it consistently during the warranty would probably have showed it's defective and you could have gotten a replacement then.

But don't get the why you are entiled to a replacement 6 months after warranty expired.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Contributor
nb814

If you purchased it with a major credit card, many of them extend the warranty another year.

My Nook Color died and I was able to get a replacement backed up by American Express. I have now had that one over 18 months. It is getting tired and I am planning to an HD during the holiday sale.

It will also be bought with the same credit card.

Inspired Contributor
Michael_the_Writer

It's unfortunate your product failed but it is not indicative of a problem with the entire Nook product line. I have a first generation Nook, a Nook Tablet, a Nook HD+, and a Nook Simple Touch. The first three were day one purchases. The last was a whim I'm glad I chose to pursue. All of these devices are still in operation today and work as well as when they were brand new. The first gen suffers from the button crack issue some have experienced and for less than $30 I can fix that if I really wanted to. The others are perfect. No complaints that would prevent me from future Nooks. Certainly none that would prompt me to badmouth the Nook line to others. Again,sorry for your experience but just because you are out of your warranty by six months and the manufacturer says they can't help doesn't mean they aren't standing behind their products. If it had failed within the warranty, they certainly would have. If it had been just outside the warranty,they might have helped. At this point, you are on your own. If you're anything like a number of us Nook patrons, you have your library of Nook books and perhaps side-loaded epubs. If you get another Nook, the library will still be there once you register your product. With a microSD card you can easily transfer any side-loaded materials. Switching to Kindle is, of course, your perogative, but you should think of that before you go.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Amazon's not going to replace a device that's 6 months out of warranty either.

Distinguished Correspondent
lochnez

When I see a post like this, I look at the OP register date. If it's the same date as the post, one word immediately comes to mind...troll.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,947
0 Kudos

lochnez wrote:

When I see a post like this, I look at the OP register date. If it's the same date as the post, one word immediately comes to mind...troll.

It is interesting that once every couple of months there's a post here with the subject line "buyer beware" (or something close to it) by a poster who never returns.

Wordsmith
KingAl

orb9220 wrote:

And is irreverent how much you used it during the warranty period.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^

So this is what auto-check suggests for "irrelevant"? :smileyvery-happy:

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

:smileyfrustrated:
KingAl wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

And is irreverent how much you used it during the warranty period.
          ^^^^^^^^^^^

So this is what auto-check suggests for "irrelevant"?

Picky..Picky..Picky Not My Fault as B&N Website is out of warranty! :smileyvery-happy:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Bibliophile
bklvr896

loljohn wrote:

I don't get people who think that they deserve special treatment.  The device has a 12 month warranty, your device is out of warranty and you didn't buy an extended warranty.  Why do you think BN needs to honor the warranty.

No one, not even Amazon, has to do anything about a device that is out of warranty.  And, it really annoys me when they do.:smileymad:  Because, if I'm really concerned about it, I'll fork out the money for the extended warranty when I buy so.  So I pay for the extended warranty, you don't and the retailer treats us the same when the original warranty is over.  How is that fair?  Does that make me a fool for paying for the extended warranty?   And somehow they're going to cover that cost, probably by charging more for something else, making everyone else cover the cost of you not buying an extended warranty.  

Distinguished Scribe
gb18

Get back under the bridge.
Freedom is not free.
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,247
Solutions: 18

keriflur wrote:

Amazon's not going to replace a device that's 6 months out of warranty either.

No, but the two deserve each other.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.