Frequent Contributor
nekoz
0 Kudos

CM7 noobie storage question

I have been running CM7 on my nook color for about a month and think I may be getting app happy. I was wondering if someone could teach me a little about the storage capacity.. internal vs external and apps.  I 

Under SD card it says I have total space of 5.88GB and available space of 5.84 GB

Internal space 0.93 GB total space and 690mb of available space

then additional storage/mnt/emmc total space 5.0 GB and 4.5GB available space.

In the future I want to get a larger SD card to run CM7 and store articles on the same SD card, maybe 16GB

I wanted to know when adding android apps where does it take up memory, internal/external?  Approximately how many apps can one get?  I also have apps on the nook color side but I am mostly on the CM7 side. 

If someone could explain how all this works, it would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Contributor
GardenNookGuy
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 noobie storage question

I've found that when you install an app when running CM7 it installs it onto your NC's internal memory.

When in CM7 if you go to Settings / Manage applications / you'll see tabs across the top of the screen.  The 1st tab is all your apps and you'll see the internal storage memory that is used and how much is left at the bottom of the screen.  If you select the SD Tab at the top, again you'll see at the bottom of the screen how much space is used on your SD card.  When on that SD Tab scroll down through the listing of apps and any app that does not have a check mark by it is still on the internal memory.

Select an unchecked app and you'll go to another screen which gives you the option to move that app to your SD card.  Once that is complete you can select to move it back to your "phone" (ie internal memory), if you so choose.  On that screen you can also force close an app that won't shut down or clear it's cache.

Back arrow to the listing of apps under the SD Tab and continue to scroll until you find another without a check mark.  I've successfully moved all apps to the SD card BUT I wouldn't recommend moving clock or file maintenance programs from the internal memory (As they run better there).

This should free up your internal memory as you fill up you SD card.

I had to reinstall CM7 at one point and that forced me to reinstall all my apps and move them each to the SD card again.  So this time around I'm leaving most of the apps in the cloud until I'm ready to download and install and use them.

Distinguished Correspondent
poiuy
0 Kudos

GardenNookGuy wrote:

I've found that when you install an app when running CM7 it installs it onto your NC's internal memory.

No, it doesn't, all your apps are installed on the card.  What CM7 CALLS internal storage is actually another partition on the card.  When you move an app to SD card all you're doing is moving the app from the smaller partition on the card where the apps are normally stored to the larger data storage partition.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

The OP implied that he was running CM7 on SD and still had stock on emmc.

By default, in this situation, CM7's /emmc partition is the Nook's /media partition, the /cache partition is shared with stock (both on internal memory), and /sdcard is the last partition on the SD card itself.  So, if you want more app space for CM7, you can get a bigger SD card and make the /data partition bigger.  If you've already partitioned the card, the SD install will leave it alone, so you can resize partitions the way you want before installing.

You see, after Android boots, "internal" vs "external" is merely a matter of file pathnames (/data vs /sdcard), except for hardware-aware apps like Rom Manager, which doesn't play well with SD installs.

As a side note, I moved my music from my SD card into /emmc, and the media player had no trouble with it, freeing up space in /sdcard.

Frequent Contributor
nekoz
0 Kudos

Thanks guys :smileyhappy:

I understand a little better on what's going on but I am still trying to figure out what I need to do, if anything.  I guess I am a little confused from what I interpret as conflicting info... will reread.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

Here's how SD-based CM7 lays things out on the SD card:

/boot (tiny, holds kernels, their root filesystems, recovery, u-boot)

/system (500M, holds Linux config files and program binaries, Android guts and built-in apps)

/data (1G, holds user apps and their data, and data for system apps (I think))

/sdcard (everything else, for media and large app databases)

On the emmc, you're also using the following:

/cache (350M, used by both SD and EMMC installs to hold "compiled" dalvik object code)

/emmc (5G, stock's /media partition, and treated like a non-removable SD card)

"Internal" memory is /data; this can be enlarged when formatting a new SD card.  "external" memory is /sdcard.  Some apps can be told to store data on /emmc, and the media finder indexes it.

The emmc-based layout is much like this, except that there is also a /rom partition, which holds hardware information and generally shouldn't be touched.  All of the SD partitions except /sdcard are present, and sizes vary with the stock OS installs (/data becomes 5G and /media gets shafted to 1G).

The root filesystem (/<everything not listed above>) is a read-only in-memory filesystem, and is initialized from an image in /boot.  Some of these directories are symlinks into other filesystems.

Except for /, this is all independent from the 512M of processor memory, which is transient working memory for the CPU, like any other computer.

What conflicts do you have?  There is a lot of imprecise terminology on message boards and such.

Contributor
GardenNookGuy
0 Kudos

So I learned from poiuy below that CM7 has been lying to me all this time!  Please disregard the steps above as a solution.  Apparently you can use them to guide you in shuffling apps around your SD card partitions if that floats your boat.  Kind of like my paint drying and grass growing watchers guides....

Thanks poiuy for setting me straight on what's really happening

Distinguished Correspondent
poiuy
0 Kudos

Moving the apps to a different partition isn't totally useless. The partition usually used to store apps tends to be small. If you acquire a lot of apps you can fill that partition up and not have room for any more. In that case moving the apps to the main data partition will free up more room for apps.
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

nekoz wrote:

Thanks guys :smileyhappy:

I understand a little better on what's going on but I am still trying to figure out what I need to do, if anything.  I guess I am a little confused from what I interpret as conflicting info... will reread.

I think what you're missing is that CM7 doesn't "know" it's running on a SD card. CM7 is made to be installed directly on the NC and replace the stock firmware. To make it run from SD, you divided the SD card up into the partitions that CM7 would expect to find on the NC's internal flash card and gave them the names it would expect them to have. "SD card" (a.k.a. /sdcard) and "Internal" (a.k.a. /data) are just partitions of the SD card. By default in Android, "Internal" (/data) is where any apps you download are installed. There's also a "System" (/system) partition on the SD card where certain important, deeply integrated apps like Google Play are installed, and a "Boot" (/boot) partition that checks for updates and actually loads CM7 when you turn on the NC.

The NC's built-in flash card has all those same partitions for stock to use, and CM7 never touches them. There are also a couple of partitions on the built-in card that both stock and CM7 use: "Cache" (/cache) and "EMMC" (/media). You'll never interact directly with the cache, but EMMC is where you'll store any files (books, music, movies) that you want to access from both systems, stock and CM7. It serves the same purpose as /sdcard: plain storage. 

Based on the numbers you threw around in the OP, I don't think you have to worry about running out of app space any time soon. You have almost 1GB, which is quite a bit by Android terms. I'm up to around 800MB with a couple hundred apps after running CM7 for a year. If you do start running out of space, there are lots of system management apps that can move many of your apps to the /sdcard partition (I use Elixir 2). You might even be able to do it from CM7's built-in App Manager. You can't move apps to EMMC without getting into more complicated territory, but chances are you'll never even need to start moving them to /sdcard.

Frequent Contributor
nekoz
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I was mostly conflicted because I didn't really understand everything written.  CM7 on the nook color is my first time using an Android system and I wasn't familiar at all with it.   I am trying to familiarize myself with the terminology but it's taking me awhile.  Thanks everyone for taking the time to explain, it is much appreciated

Frequent Contributor
nekoz
0 Kudos

Thanks taosaur..

Reader
Kevin86
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Hi, I have another question about the SD card... if I partition the SD card with 10G for the boot/Nook side and 20G for the CM7 side (non boot) - Can CM7 share or use any part of the 10G boot/Nook side?

I understand that the /emmc is the internal memory of the Nook and that I could put music and photos there, but I would like more room than /emmc offers.  So I would like to use the SD card... it makes sense that the Nook could not see or use the CM7 partition but shouldn't the CM7 OS be able to use all of the SD card?

Thanks

New User
DustiiWolf
0 Kudos

Hey... im new to this stuff, and i saw this topic was related to a question i have, but is it possible to share APPS between stock and CM7? As in sideload apps to the stock os using cm7? (i know you cant sideload apps directly anymore due to the os update, and you cant roll back the 8gb version tablet { loading the stock 1.4.0 rom on an 8gb nook tablet bricks it, for the stock rom is for the 16gb version, which assumes it has more ram.}) I actually love the stock os, but i really would like a few apps on it that are unavailable in the nook store. Any ideas?