Reply
Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

CM7 (sd card) questions

[ Edited ]

Good afternoon,

 

When running CM7 from a card, are you are able to sideload data (books, music, video) onto the card? I thought I had read that Windows 7 has problems recognizing the sd card after CM7 was put on it.

 

Also, can the CM7 card be reformatted to be used normally again or is it a hassle? If it's a 1-time-use sort of thing, I may reconsider using CM7 at all.

 

Lastly, do programs in CM7 crash often?

 

Any info would be appreciated.

 

Thank you.

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎04-05-2011

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

I think some people are having problems with CM7 SD cards being recognized by windows.  So sideloading requires creative solutions (like dropbox, emailing book files to yourself, installing linux, using a mac). 

 

That being said, its not a 1 time use things.  I've used a couple of different versions of CM7, PHIREMOD and HONEYCOMB and just wipe my SD card each time.  Its worked fine for me so far.

 

Finally, the crashing.  It takes a little getting used to in order to get things running well.  I'm still playing with it and deciding what to use myself.  Sometimes apps crash but fiddling with the software and apps that you have installed will clear things up.  If you have an SD card lying around and want to try it out, you can always erase the card - no harm no foul!

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

Thank you so much for the reply. It was very helpful!
Frequent Contributor
cristiansmom
Posts: 61
Registered: ‎11-27-2010

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

I can't answer the first question but I do think that it was answered on one of the previous posts.. I think this on...

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOKcolor-General-Discussion/Rooted-on-mSD-0-Dual-Boot-for-du...

 

As far as crashing, I have not had any crash yet... The only thing is my video on websites is kind of choppy but is in on regular 1.2 stock also...

 

As far as the sd card, I just reformated on today and it's fine for use.. I downloaded a free tool when I did the sd card cm7 install and just used that.. it's called sdformatter and you can find it here...

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/sd/download/index.html

 

Works really well...

 

Good luck.. I love my rooted to sd card nook but still go to stock for reading and such even though I downloaded the nook app...

 

 

 

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

Wow, great info! Much obliged, cristiansmom :smileyhappy:
Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎01-09-2011

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

[ Edited ]

Lots of incomplete/speculative stuff in this thread. See below for specific answers to your questions.

 


MaluhiaKana wrote:

Good afternoon,

 

When running CM7 from a card, are you are able to sideload data (books, music, video) onto the card?

 


 

Yes. A bootable SD card will be partitioned differently than a standard card so you will have to connect the nook to the USB cable and mount the SD card to copy files between it and the computer.you will not be able to slap just the card in a USB stick type reader and modify the contents, though, the nook becomes your "SD card reader". This is probably what you were reading about wrt "problems with windows". Many people likely do not understand this when they image the SD card and freak out.

 

 


 

Also, can the CM7 card be reformatted to be used normally again or is it a hassle?

 


 

Yes it can but it can be a hassle to refomat a card if you use a size specific sd card image that does not match the physical memory size of the card, so make sure you use a size agnostic image or use an image that is sized to the same size as your card, (i.e. 4gb, 8gb, etc). I've had cards get messed up in such a way that no windows based format tool could fix them, I had to basically boot to a Linux boot disk and run gparted to edit the partitions and straighten out the card.

 

 


 

Lastly, do programs in CM7 crash often?

 


 

 

It depends almost completely on the performance of your SD card. It MUST have good small block burst read/write performance for an OS to run well from external SD storage. The best way to find out (besides just loading the SD card and trying it out) is to run Crystal Disk BenchMark on your SD card and check the performance of your specific card. If your card's performance is poor, your user experience with the OS will be poor. It's extremely stable when flashed ot internal memory, though (eMMC).

 

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
Posts: 188
Registered: ‎04-23-2011

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

When running CM7 from a card, are you are able to sideload data (books, music, video) onto the card? I thought I had read that Windows 7 has problems recognizing the sd card after CM7 was put on it.

 

--> Yes. From my own experience with Windows 7 (64-bit), I can sideload data to SD card as easily as I do to the Nook itself via USB cable. Maybe some people say that their computers do not recognize the SD card because they didn't do one more step that's needed.

After you connect the USB cable to the Nook with the SD card inside of it, go to CM7 screen, open up the "notification bar".

There'll be a message saying something like "connected by USB".

Click that notification.

Then, you'll see a different screen with that green android guy with "USB connected".

Click "Turn on USB storage" button on the bottom of the screen.

Click "OK".

After a few seconds, on your computer, you'll see a "Removable Disk" with a total disk size of 13Gb (in my case, my SD is 16Gb), and "MyNOOKcolor" showing about 5Gb total (for mine, at least).

Then, you can create folders (e.g. Videos, etc) in "Removable Disk" and start transferring your files there.

 

 

Also, can the CM7 card be reformatted to be used normally again or is it a hassle? If it's a 1-time-use sort of thing, I may reconsider using CM7 at all.

 

--> I hear that you can reformat the card and use it as if it's new. I know cristiansmom has done it and suceessfully!

 

 

Lastly, do programs in CM7 crash often?

 

--> As for me, I haven't experienced any crashes yet. But then I'm keeping only those apps that I like. After I install something and if I don't like it, I unstall it so that my CM7 doesn't get cluttered.

 

Hope this helps~!! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
Posts: 79
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

zanexe,

 

Could you be more specific about what you stated here:

 

"Yes. A bootable SD card will be partitioned differently than a standard card so you will have to connect the nook to the USB cable and mount the SD card to copy files between it and the computer.you will not be able to slap just the card in a USB stick type reader and modify the contents, though, the nook becomes your "SD card reader". This is probably what you were reading about wrt "problems" with windows many people likely do not understand this when they image the SD card and freak out."

 

I have both a 4 GB class 4 and a 16 GB class 4 which I have tried working with.  With both disks, after I made the boot disk, I was not able to get to the remaining space to store my music and video on.  I was trying to do this using an SD reader with Windows 7.  I also tried getting to the space available with the Nook plugged in.  When I go to Storage on the Nook, all the size information looks correct.  When I check properties on the boot disk in Windows 7, it shows only about 115MB as the capacity.

 

It makes no sense to me.  I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on the topic?

 

Thanks!

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

More helpful info. Thanks, UrSunshine!
Frequent Contributor
suvlady
Posts: 79
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

UrSunshine,

 

Thanks so much!!  That issue had been driving me nuts all day!  It worked like a charm.  What is that, top secret information or something that they were hiding?

 

Anyway, I am alot less frustrated now! :smileyhappy:

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
Posts: 188
Registered: ‎04-23-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

Thanks so much!!  That issue had been driving me nuts all day!  It worked like a charm.  What is that, top secret information or something that they were hiding?

 

Anyway, I am alot less frustrated now!

 

-----------------------------------------------------

 

suvlady:

 

a big LOL~ :smileyvery-happy:

 

That's exactly what I thought at first, too!

At a stroke of luck, I kind of strumbled upon it.

I mean, I "mis-tapped" the notification bar and saw that message!

So I guess it was more of a moment of serendipity?

 

:smileyvery-happy:

Frequent Contributor
TLHsc
Posts: 31
Registered: ‎03-28-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

Need a little help.  Cm7 is running very well, except that it will start to crash programs after an hour or so use--finally will completely freeze.  Clear cache and/or kill apps and improves but still not solved.  Reboot will solve this problem until the next time.  I am using a Patriot micro sd 8gb class 10 card.  Crystal disk gave results:  on 100 mb, seq R 18.2, W 8.9; 512k W 17.97, W 1.23; 4k R 3.7, W .011; 4 k qd32 R 3.99, W 011   I could not find any guide as to these numbers, and any feedback would be appreciated.  I have ordered another card 8gb class 6 by another manufacture to see if this solves the problem.  REALLY like andorid and the nook as a tablet.

 

Another question--if I hard root the nook to cm7 do these problems go away?  If so, are there any recent methods of doing this with cm7?  Has honeycomb reached a point that it would be feasible to use this android edition?

Thanks very much for your time and information.

Tim 

 

Inspired Correspondent
UndeadPoet
Posts: 105
Registered: ‎04-24-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions


UrSunshine wrote:

When running CM7 from a card, are you are able to sideload data (books, music, video) onto the card? I thought I had read that Windows 7 has problems recognizing the sd card after CM7 was put on it.

 

--> Yes. From my own experience with Windows 7 (64-bit), I can sideload data to SD card as easily as I do to the Nook itself via USB cable. Maybe some people say that their computers do not recognize the SD card because they didn't do one more step that's needed.

After you connect the USB cable to the Nook with the SD card inside of it, go to CM7 screen, open up the "notification bar".

There'll be a message saying something like "connected by USB".

Click that notification.

Then, you'll see a different screen with that green android guy with "USB connected".

Click "Turn on USB storage" button on the bottom of the screen.

Click "OK".

After a few seconds, on your computer, you'll see a "Removable Disk" with a total disk size of 13Gb (in my case, my SD is 16Gb), and "MyNOOKcolor" showing about 5Gb total (for mine, at least).

Then, you can create folders (e.g. Videos, etc) in "Removable Disk" and start transferring your files there.

 

 

Hope this helps~!! :smileyhappy:


I successfully created a mSD card with Phiremod 6.1 and Honeycomb v.4 (here is the link: http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1045018), but when I plug my NC into my Windows 7 (64bit) PC, it recognizes my NC, and then says I have to format my mSD card. I am afraid if I do that, it will erase my ability to boot into Phiremod or Honeycomb.  ANy helpful ideas? I am just dangerous enough with this stuff to destroy my equipment. Many thanks!

(Undead)Poet / Wizard / Teller-of-tales
Frequent Contributor
suvlady
Posts: 79
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

For what it is worth, I created the same SD card and had the same issues.  I had previously created an SD card with CM7.  It works fine with that RoM.  I have included the link that I followed.  Many have had success with this:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nenR-mNo0

 

Be sure and click "show more" at the top for the detailed instructions!

 

Also, it's just my opinion, but Phiremod isn't much different than the CM7 version above and the CM7 version is much more stable.  I had many issues with Honeyomb crashing on me all the time and it wouldn't run YouTube videos or play Pandora Radio.  It was cool to play with to see what it looked like, but I ended up coming back to my CM7 version and both my husband and I are very happy.

 

Let me know how things turn out!

Distinguished Correspondent
DrAstro
Posts: 134
Registered: ‎04-05-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

For what its worth, I'm running the same dualboot Phiremod/Honeycomb that some people are talking about.  Surprisingly the honeycomb part is working quite well (although there's no video which is actually something I knew going in :smileytongue:).  I love the interface of honeycomb, but not everything works which might convince me to switch back to CM7 which is more stable (as suvlady says).

 

The phiremod is very similar to CM7.  In fact, I think they're one and the same but phiremod just has a few visual tweaks built into it.  I'm torn between trying to solve the stability issues in this SD card (since I like having the honeycomb access!) and just going back to CM7. 

 

For some who are experiencing problems, sometimes a "hard reset" (i.e. don't power off through the menu.  Hold down the power button until the NC shuts off) allegedly clears things up.  I might try this. 

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

[ Edited ]

 


suvlady wrote:

zanexe,

 

Could you be more specific about what you stated here:

 

"Yes. A bootable SD card will be partitioned differently than a standard card so you will have to connect the nook to the USB cable and mount the SD card to copy files between it and the computer.you will not be able to slap just the card in a USB stick type reader and modify the contents, though, the nook becomes your "SD card reader". This is probably what you were reading about wrt "problems" with windows many people likely do not understand this when they image the SD card and freak out."

 

I have both a 4 GB class 4 and a 16 GB class 4 which I have tried working with.  With both disks, after I made the boot disk, I was not able to get to the remaining space to store my music and video on.  I was trying to do this using an SD reader with Windows 7.  I also tried getting to the space available with the Nook plugged in.  When I go to Storage on the Nook, all the size information looks correct.  When I check properties on the boot disk in Windows 7, it shows only about 115MB as the capacity.

 

It makes no sense to me.  I'm hoping you might be able to shed some light on the topic?

 

Thanks!


 

What happened is that by imaging the disk with an image that was smaller than the original card, you created a primary partition on the card that is smaller than the full capacity of the card and the rest of the space is unpartitioned/unallocated. When you reformat the card, only that smaller, primary partiiton will be reformatted. You must repartition the card to reclaim the unused space for most format tools to fully free up all the space on the card.

 

If you go into the windows "Disk Management:" tool (forget the path to it but I think it's like Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management under XP (dont' remember what it is for Vista/7)) you can see how a disk is partitioned and depending on how the hardware is configured you MAY be able to resize the microsd cards partition right there. For some reason my SDcard reader doesn't allow card paritions to be edited/resized in the tool, I don't know if that is just my reader or true for all USB drives/SD cards.

 

If "disk management" in windows doesn't work, you will have to do something like:

 

1. Find a format tool that will reformat and repartition the card automatically to reclaim the unused space.

 

or

 

2. Use a boot disk to boot into a parition editor and manually

 

#2 is what I did/do with my sd cards on my Vista box @ home. I use a GPARTED boot disk that boots a mini linux environment and boots straight into the GNU partition editor (GPARTED) to fix the disk.I don't know if there is a simple do it all tool for option one since #2 works for me.

 

This issue is one reason I posted my first post. The claims that you can just reformat an imaged card and it will be like new are not true if the size of the disk image is smaller than your card's capacity. I could easily see someone who is not very expert on this stuff being completely confused by this and convincing themselves their SD card was ruined.

 

Distinguished Wordsmith
MaluhiaKana
Posts: 364
Registered: ‎04-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

 


zenaxe wrote:

 


 

What happened is that by imaging the disk with an image that was smaller than the original card, you created a primary partition on the card that is smaller than the full capacity of the card and the rest of the space is unpartitioned/unallocated. When you reformat the card, only that smaller, primary partiiton will be reformatted. You must repartition the card to reclaim the unused space for most format tools to fully free up all the space on the card.

 

If you go into the windows "Disk Management:" tool (forget the path to it but I think it's like Control Panel->Administrative Tools->Computer Management->Disk Management under XP (dont' remember what it is for Vista/7)) you can see how a disk is partitioned and depending on how the hardware is configured you MAY be able to resize the microsd cards partition right there. For some reason my SDcard reader doesn't allow card paritions to be edited/resized in the tool, I don't know if that is just my reader or true for all USB drives/SD cards.

 

If "disk management" in windows doesn't work, you will have to do something like:

 

1. Find a format tool that will reformat and repartition the card automatically to reclaim the unused space.

 

or

 

2. Use a boot disk to boot into a parition editor and manually

 

#2 is what I did/do with my sd cards on my Vista box @ home. I use a GPARTED boot disk that boots a mini linux environment and boots straight into the GNU partition editor (GPARTED) to fix the disk.I don't know if there is a simple do it all tool for option one since #2 works for me.

 

This issue is one reason I posted my first post. The claims that you can just reformat an imaged card and it will be like new are not true if the size of the disk image is smaller than your card's capacity. I could easily see someone who is not very expert on this stuff being completely confused by this and convincing themselves their SD card was ruined.

 


 

According to the instructions here:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nenR-mNo0

 

you could try this:

 

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

 

 

 

From the Youtube page:

 

"Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 5.2 to increase the available space on your SD card to the 4th FAT32 partition. This is tricky, you have to grab the last partition on the card first and move it into the free unused space at the end of your card. Keep going until you've adjusted the space to the correct partition and apply."

 

 

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

[ Edited ]

 


TLHsc wrote:

Need a little help.  Cm7 is running very well, except that it will start to crash programs after an hour or so use--finally will completely freeze.  Clear cache and/or kill apps and improves but still not solved.  Reboot will solve this problem until the next time.  I am using a Patriot micro sd 8gb class 10 card.  Crystal disk gave results:  on 100 mb, seq R 18.2, W 8.9; 512k W 17.97, W 1.23; 4k R 3.7, W .011; 4 k qd32 R 3.99, W 011   I could not find any guide as to these numbers, and any feedback would be appreciated.  I have ordered another card 8gb class 6 by another manufacture to see if this solves the problem.  REALLY like andorid and the nook as a tablet.

 


 

Your write scores look low (reads look good). Maybe something write intensive starts to happen after some significant use and things start to get interrupted/dicey.

 

 

 

 


 

Another question--if I hard root the nook to cm7 do these problems go away?  

 


 

You mean flash it to eMMC? Generally. Some software will still be unstable but that's just the nature of apps. I'm sure CM7 has a few bugs, but overall, it's pretty solid.

 

 

 

 


 

If so, are there any recent methods of doing this with cm7?

 


 

Yes. The default method for installing CM7 is to flash clockworkmod recovery and then use that to load the OS onto the internal memory (eMMC), sd card loading is actually the alternative method. :smileywink:

 

 

 

 


 

  Has honeycomb reached a point that it would be feasible to use this android edition?

 


 

Not on the nook. I think the main limitation is that some of the developers are waiting on or need more source code released under the Android GPL for the honeycomb ports to fully stabilize.

 

 

Inspired Correspondent
zenaxe
Posts: 96
Registered: ‎01-09-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

[ Edited ]

 


MaluhiaKana wrote:

 

 

According to the instructions here:

 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P4nenR-mNo0

 

you could try this:

 

http://www.partitionwizard.com/download.html

 

 

 

From the Youtube page:

 

"Use MiniTool Partition Wizard Home Edition 5.2 to increase the available space on your SD card to the 4th FAT32 partition. This is tricky, you have to grab the last partition on the card first and move it into the free unused space at the end of your card. Keep going until you've adjusted the space to the correct partition and apply."

 

 


 

That is exactly what I was saying in the post you quoted: use a partition editor to fix the paritioning of the card.

 

Those knobs are just using a different one than the one I spoke about (which is free and widely available). Here:

 

GParted

 

Frequent Contributor
suvlady
Posts: 79
Registered: ‎04-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: CM7 (sd card) questions

Thank you to everyone for sharing the information!! :smileyhappy: