Reader
06nbarnhill
0 Kudos

Can I charge/power devices through my Nook HD+?

Can I charge/power devices through my Nook HD+?

Sorry if this is in the wrong place. My brother is maving into a trailer in the boonies while building his new house and has no internet and has to run a generator for power. He is looking at a Nook Tablet, but would like to know if he can run periphreals from it.

Frequent Contributor
rfortson
0 Kudos

Re: Can I charge/power devices through my Nook HD+?

No, the HD/HD+ doesn't have a standard USB port and it's not a powered port, either.  It's not like a laptop or desktop computer that will power a small device.

Reader
06nbarnhill
0 Kudos

Thanks. That is a let down.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Even if it did have a "normal" USB port, it would be a client port that sucks power -- not a host controller port that provides power. 

Host ports are standardized on a flat, square cornered rectangle. The original client port is a D shape. Mini ports are a flat trapezoid, and micro ports are so thin it is hard to see that one sid is longer than the other. Then there is the HD/+ which fits USB and HDMI pins into one connector.

FireWire is a peer to peer protocol allowing devices to operate on each end of the chain (that is, multiple controllers can negotiate time on the bus).

Baron Wulfraed