Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

Can nook books be read on on kindle fire or visa versa?

I guess my subject line says it all.,  Can nook books be read on on kindle fire or visa versa?

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Re: Can nook books be read on on kindle fire or visa versa?

I don't think there's any way to read Nook books on a Kindle, but you can root a Nook Color and download the Kindle App for Android and then read Kindle books on the Nook.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

kcladyz wrote:

I guess my subject line says it all.,  Can nook books be read on on kindle fire or visa versa?

In the Amazon App store they have Aldiko Book Reader that reads epub.  The thing is will it be able to opent B&N epubs.  I sure hope so since, I can then place my ebooks that I have from B&N on it.

Currently, Amazon is testing all the apps in the app store to make sure they run smoothly on the Fire and have instructed new developers to submit their apps as soon as possible so that they can be included in the app store by the time the Fire ships.  Since depending on the app can take up to a week to test.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

[ Edited ]

Aldiko can read BN books, as it supports the DRM that BN uses. 

The real question is whether or not any epub readers will be available for the Fire - that's up to Amazon, and I'm guessing that at least for the first quarter and probably unless BN goes under the answer will be no, Amazon will not support epub readers or converters. 

It would not surprise me if Amazon decided to provide bridge support if BN goes under, or else chose to buy up the BN customer accounts, as BN did with Borders.  If they choose to buy up the account info, my guess is they'd convert the BN library to an Amazon library by transferring licenses, as a gesture of goodwill and to avoid antitrust action, rather than supporting epub or the BN DRM scheme.

That said, any epub which does not have DRM can be converted to Amazon-parsable format using Calibre on your computer, just as any Amazon formatted book without DRM can be converted to epub using Calibre, and then read in the native reader without rooting the NC. 

I have a discussion of what you need to do to set most of this up here:

http://nookworks.blogspot.com/2011/09/information-security-and-digital-rights.html

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Thank you for the information.  I lobe my NC. Especially now that I'm using the N2A card for times when I want fuller access, I have absolutley neither need nor desire to buy a Kindle Fire.  But at the current price and it's brand name recognition, I do fear that it might end up being a Nook killer.  In that case, I've been worried about what happens to all my Nook books.  Between free Fridays and classics and the ones I've bought, I've acquired quite a library.  I'd be pretty upset at the idea of losing them--especially those I haven't gotten around to reading.  I know my NC will not last forever, but I'd been planning on staying within the Nook ecosystem.  I'm rooting for their survival, but it's good to know that, heaven forfend, B&N goes under, there's a good possibility I'd still have access to my books. 

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

It would not surprise me if Amazon decided to provide bridge support if BN goes under, or else chose to buy up the BN customer accounts...

I know some people have speculated a possible crushing of B&N by Amazon, but is them going under a very real danger presently?

roustabout
0 Kudos

"is them going under a very real danger presently?"

Their stock is trading fairly close to where it was right after the market fell apart three years ago, not a good sign.  It would be hard, if you were a long-term investor, to have made any return on your investment over almost any length of time - also not a good sign.  They tried and failed to find a buyer - also not a good sign, as it suggests that bean counters went through the books, counted the beans, and advised buyers not to close the deal. 

The NC has been a great seller for BN (but how great is very hard to say - in March, BN had apparently ordered around 3M units and had probably sold 400,000 of them) - but the Kindle Fire sold 250,000 units in the first five days of preorder availability. That puts it into iPad territory for day 1 sales plus pre-orders already. 

This suggests that BN probably won't have an easy time wooing additional Amazon customers now, where I'm sure they did get a fair number of Amazon customers early on, just because they offered the only integrated reading platform based on a tablet, and did so at a great price. 

Right now, BN's relying on the ST and NC for a lot of their sales and sales growth.  To the extent that the Fire takes the wind out of that, it's very bad news for BN in its current configuration. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Correspondent
KrissyMarie516
0 Kudos

roustabout wrote:

Right now, BN's relying on the ST and NC for a lot of their sales and sales growth.  To the extent that the Fire takes the wind out of that, it's very bad news for BN in its current configuration. 

Fair assessment, and quiet a ray of sunshine on my day if I might add :0(

If loving my NookTablet is a crime, I will gladly do the time :0)
Frequent Contributor
kcladyz
0 Kudos

I am rather dissapointed on how the new nook tablet looks exactly like the nook color. I might as well buy lenovo A1 tablet thats a tad cheaper and then beable to read both nook and kindle books and get more functionality from it than my nook color 1st generation

roustabout
0 Kudos

Or you could root your NC and read from both shops on that.

Or you could download the Kindle app for Windows and Calibre, read up on the plugins for managing DRM on your own, convert your Kindle books to epub and sideload them to your NC. 

The A1 is a nice tab at 200.  The K1 can be had for 350 these days, and is a 10" tab with a Tegra 2 processor and 16G of storage - a pretty substantial bump up versus the A1 (which is basically the Nook Color, with the addition of a GPS unit and cameras, and probably better speakers.) 

That $350 buys you a Nook Tablet that's bigger, in essence, and has the market - the NT is very much its equal, if you aren't using GPS or speaker-driven apps and don't care about the cameras. 

If the NT is rootable, as many of us hope it will be, many folks will pick one up because it's cheap. 

I'll probably hold off and pick up a faster replacement with better sound. 

Reader 4
Brendon
0 Kudos

I know you can with conversion programs such as Calibre. I am able to take a Kindle book and convert to the .epub format for the Nook. If the covers don't load you can edit the metadata and add a cover. Sometimes there are issues with DRM managed books (digital rights management) but I haven't had any issues.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

BFCoughlin wrote:

Thank you for the information.  I lobe my NC. Especially now that I'm using the N2A card for times when I want fuller access, I have absolutley neither need nor desire to buy a Kindle Fire.  But at the current price and it's brand name recognition, I do fear that it might end up being a Nook killer.  In that case, I've been worried about what happens to all my Nook books.  Between free Fridays and classics and the ones I've bought, I've acquired quite a library.  I'd be pretty upset at the idea of losing them--especially those I haven't gotten around to reading.  I know my NC will not last forever, but I'd been planning on staying within the Nook ecosystem.  I'm rooting for their survival, but it's good to know that, heaven forfend, B&N goes under, there's a good possibility I'd still have access to my books. 

Always make a backup of your books. Never trust an online site with the only copy of your files. The great thing about the B&N DRM is that unlike Kindle DRM and Adobe DRM your books are not tied to any hardware or software ID, and you do not need an DRM server if you want to read your books on another device. Even if B&N would not exist anymore you would still be able to read your books on any hardware or software reader supporting the DRM.

The easiest way to make a backup is to install Nook for PC and download all your books to your PC. Copy the downloaded books to another location (because the Nook for PC reader will sync with your B&N libary).

If you have not too many books, you can also download the books from your B&N libary on the B&N website.

New User
arsoninvt
0 Kudos

Yes, go into the settings on your Kindle Fire and tell it to allow all apps.  You can then download the Nook app and open your books.  Just did it on my wifes.

New User
CrazySharck
0 Kudos

But how would you get the nook app for the kindle fire?  I thought it was only available in the andriod marketplace and that wasn't available on the kindle?

arsoninvt wrote:

Yes, go into the settings on your Kindle Fire and tell it to allow all apps.  You can then download the Nook app and open your books.  Just did it on my wifes.

Frequent Contributor
BeckyWC
0 Kudos

CrazySharck wrote:

But how would you get the nook app for the kindle fire?  I thought it was only available in the andriod marketplace and that wasn't available on the kindle?

You can get the nook app through getjar and the Androiddev.orkitra dot com app site.

New User
JG99
0 Kudos

I tried, couldn't do it?

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

JG99 wrote:

I tried, couldn't do it?

You are replying to a more than year old discussion ~ what did you try are were unable to do, read Amazon books on a Nook Color or read Nook books on an Amazon Fire?

If the latter, it might be a subject for general discussion in the general Nook discussion board. But if Amazon still has the 3rd party setting available, ticking it and downloading the GetJar app ought to give you access to the Nook app as long as you get the GetJar app working.

Reading Amazon books on the Nook Color only requires one of the several ways of rooting the Nook Color and then downloading the Amazon app.

Reader 2
SunlessJayHawk
0 Kudos

Kindle books can be read on Nook.  Download Kindle Amazon Kindle app then you are set up to start reading Kendle books.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

SunlessJayHawk, you're aware that this thread is 2 years old and at the time none of the Nook devices had access to the Google Play Store, right?
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716