Reader
76commish

Can't lend all the books I purchase on B&N

[ Edited ]

I purchased a Nook reader and have enjoyed it. I have also purchased several nook books through the B&N website and I was shocked to learn that all the books which I purchased, and thus own, cannot be lent through the Lendme feature. 

Before the forum police start banging on me, I know this is not a new issue, but having plopped down 200 bucks for a Nook reader, I do have the right to come here and voice my complaint about this outrageous violation of our consumer rights.

I have heard the standard "it's the publishers fault and has nothing to do with B&N" excuse. This is a pure BS response. Barnes and Noble could easily stand up for their customers and notify the publishers that they will no longer carry Ebooks that are not lendable. Barnes and Noble has serious clout, the publishers cannot get their product out without them. Do you really believe the publishers will throw away millions of dollars in profits and risk being cutoff from their distributors?

Instead B&N just stands by and does nothing to satisfy their customers on this issue.

How bout standing up for the people who pay your bills?

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

Re: Can't lend all the books I purchase on B&N

76commish wrote:

I have heard the standard "it's the publishers fault and has nothing to do with B&N" excuse. This is a pure BS response.

Well, it's not really a BS response.  It's the reality of the world of eBooks.  As I suggested in another thread:  Contact your congressman, complain to the publishers, or organize a boycot, etc.

Good luck with whatever you choose to do.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
New User
Trilby9714

I agree with everything you are saying its crazy. I am going to let my kids have my nook for entertainment and invest in a kindle and just use the library. I dont get what the difference is in lending a hard copy book with a friend and an ebook. Its a rip off!!

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

[ Edited ]

76commish wrote:

Barnes and Noble could easily stand up for their customers and notify the publishers that they will no longer carry Ebooks that are not lendable. Barnes and Noble has serious clout, the publishers cannot get their product out without them. Do you really believe the publishers will throw away millions of dollars in profits and risk being cutoff from their distributors?

Yup.  The publishers would walk away from B&N if B&N attempted this.

When the Agency Model took effect, Amazon attempted to not adopt it and Penguin just refused to sell ebooks through Amazon.  Amazon eventually folded because their customers demanded Penguin titles.  Amazon has way more "serious clout" than B&N.

Please point me to where you were told all B&N ebooks were lendable; since you won't be able to, this is a ridiculous rant.  Even a modicum of research before purchase would have revealed this.

And the library comment?  Sony and Kobo and NOOK all had library lending before Kindle, so that's a strange reason to switch...

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Ya_Ya: And the library comment?  Sony and Kobo and NOOK all had library lending before Kindle, so that's a strange reason to switch...

But Amazon has its own lending library for Prime members; the other companies don't. Maybe that's what he was talking about?

I agree with the others - rant away, but there's nothing B&N can do about it. The difference between a hard copy and a digital copy in the eyes of the publisher is that 1.) a hard copy eventually wears out; a digital one doesn't and 2.) digital copies are much easier to duplicate and spread around than a hard copy is. (Although if they're being completely honest, I'm sure they'd admit to not liking the fact that the hard copies could be sold/borrowed/given away either.)

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Trilby9714 wrote:

I agree with everything you are saying its crazy. I am going to let my kids have my nook for entertainment and invest in a kindle and just use the library. I dont get what the difference is in lending a hard copy book with a friend and an ebook. Its a rip off!!

You do know that you can check out books from the library on your Nook?  Kindle was the last to come to the game in this area.  And, not all books are going to be available.  Penguin, MacMillan and S&S and I believe Hachette, don't allow their books to be lent by libraries.  Penguin allow older titles, not new ones.  HarperCollins limits lending to 26 lends per year and then requires the library to buy a new license.  The remainder of the publishers (except for Random House) are not agency publishers and the retailers can set the price.

As was stated, Amazon has way more clout than B&N and they were unable to take on Penguin with regards to pricing.  Yes, the publishers seem willing to walk away and not sell the books through B&N or other vendors.  Right now the publishers seem to be in the drivers seat on the ebook issue.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout

Actually, you can, to people you trust somewhat

Actually, you can lend any book you have bought with your BN account to anyone you trust with your credit card #.

Give the person you're lending the book to the file and the name and credit card number you bought the book with.  They can open it on their nook device by inputting the name and card number the book was bought with. 

It's called 'social DRM' and BN doesn't exactly flog it, but it's a very flexible option should you choose to exercise it.  

The Kindle cannot do this.  The Amazon DRM platform uses a device identifier to lock down books, rather than what amounts to a person identifier.  

The LendMe books are an entirely separate avenue for sharing books and the titles lendable that way are more restricted.  It is easier for both parties, but not the only way to share titles. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

well..I have a kindle Fire as well as my Nook Color and the Nook Color beats it hands down. There is NO lending between users with the KF and the "lending library" at Amazon is for "As many as ONE book a month", adopted long after the LendMe feature adopted by BN. The Amazon lending library is also limited to the same books that are lendable here at B&N. Amazon has no more control over that than B&N does. With BN's LendMe, you can loan out several books at a time, and borrow as many at a time as you want. The ability to borrow kindle books from the public library was also adopted by Kindle LONG after the same feature on the Nook products. I think this pretty much substantiates the dozens of statements made in the dozens of discussions on the topic, that B&N has no control over the situation regarding the ebooks they cannot add to the lendme library, and is in fact, much more liberal with the lending of books that CAN be loaned and borrowed.

I won't even go into the other lack of features on the KF.

Since you know all about this from various other discussions on the topic, I'm surprised that you still think B&N has all the answers/clout/whatever. Needing to rant about it is fine...just make sure you are ranting about the actual problem and directing your anger to those at fault.

Distinguished Scribe
gb18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

76commish wrote:

I purchased a Nook reader and have enjoyed it. I have also purchased several nook books through the B&N website and I was shocked to learn that all the books which I purchased, and thus own, cannot be lent through the Lendme feature. What kind of bullshit is this?

Before the forum police start banging on me, I know this is not a new issue, but having plopped down 200 bucks for a Nook reader, I do have the right to come here and voice my complaint about this outrageous violation of our consumer rights.

I have heard the standard "it's the publishers fault and has nothing to do with B&N" excuse. This is a pure BS response. Barnes and Noble could easily stand up for their customers and notify the publishers that they will no longer carry Ebooks that are not lendable. Barnes and Noble has serious clout, the publishers cannot get their product out without them. Do you really believe the publishers will throw away millions of dollars in profits and risk being cutoff from their distributors?

Instead B&N just stands by and does nothing to satisfy their customers on this issue.

How bout standing up for the people who pay your bills?

We don't actually own these books; we jusy pay for permission to read them.  I still say a dvd/blu-ray/digital copy type format would work.  Ebooks will go the way of the music and/or movie industry and drag the current players (kicking and screaming) along.  Just give it time.

Freedom is not free.
Contributor
Scott70

I suppose if you wanted to you could always lend someone your Nook...

My postings on this site are my own and do not represent Barnes & Noble's positions, strategies or opinions.
Wordsmith
KingAl

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

well..I have a kindle Fire as well as my Nook Color and the Nook Color beats it hands down. There is NO lending between users with the KF

Not true. If the book is lendable, you can lend it to anyone with a Kindle or a Kindle app. 

Wordsmith
KingAl

... the "lending library" at Amazon is for "As many as ONE book a month", adopted long after the LendMe feature adopted by BN. The Amazon lending library is also limited to the same books that are lendable here at B&N. Amazon has no more control over that than B&N does. With BN's LendMe, you can loan out several books at a time, and borrow as many at a time as you want...

You're comparing apples and oranges. The Kindle Owners' Lending Library is completely separate from user-to-user lending, which works the same way for the Kindle as it does for the Nook. 

Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie

Yes! You are absolutely correct when you claim the Lendme program seems like a ripoff. Many books cannot be lent at all and no book may be lent more than once. So many B&N afectionados will decry "DUE DILLIGENCE!!" But the truth is the Lend deal is very misleading. Heavily advertised but after the heady joy of owning an ereader wanes you find each book may be lent One Time. Once! Due dilligence to some means you read every single word of every term of service, each word of every advertisement, search out discussion boards for details, inquire, ask and simlly be an unequaled genius at product selection. For most people though, due dilligence means reading the ad, talking to a salesperson, believing what they say and not knowing these same salespersons are the source of much misinformation. I love my NC and would be lost without it. But I do understand your disappointment.
Distinguished Correspondent
Nooksie
0 Kudos

My niece and I both have Kindles. We loan books all the time. In fact my niece bought both my NookColor and my KindleFire for me. Honestly, there isn't a dimes worth of difference between them. My NookC has an Sd card N2A and my KindleFire has the wonderful world of Amazon. Other than that they are both wonderful additions to my life.
Wordsmith
KingAl

Nooksie wrote:
 But the truth is the Lend deal is very misleading. Heavily advertised but after the heady joy of owning an ereader wanes you find each book may be lent One Time. .

It is NOT misleading. The web page specifically states it can only be lent once. If a customer is "misled", it's his/her own fault.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

KingAl wrote:

... the "lending library" at Amazon is for "As many as ONE book a month", adopted long after the LendMe feature adopted by BN. The Amazon lending library is also limited to the same books that are lendable here at B&N. Amazon has no more control over that than B&N does. With BN's LendMe, you can loan out several books at a time, and borrow as many at a time as you want...

You're comparing apples and oranges. The Kindle Owners' Lending Library is completely separate from user-to-user lending, which works the same way for the Kindle as it does for the Nook. 

I haven't had my KF for very long and I have been scouring the instructions for different things, and I haven't found it to say that yet. Doesn't mean it's not there, but I haven't found it so I "assumed" it wasn't. I have been pretty aggravated with not finding what I needed so it is entirely possible that in my aggravation, I overlooked it. Thank you to all who pointed out that I was wrong. I appreciate it.

Frequent Contributor
sailspirit
0 Kudos

I sall not enter this lively &intelligent dialog about the why. What I know is that my NOOK friends & I cannot "LendMe" books if we changed our email addresses. You cannot change the actual NOOK device registered email, without un&re-registering from scratch. In doing so, you lose all NOOK files, books, contacts, etc. Yes, I changed my B&N email (how they get my money), yet not the email on the NOOK itself.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

sailspirit wrote:
I sall not enter this lively &intelligent dialog about the why. What I know is that my NOOK friends & I cannot "LendMe" books if we changed our email addresses. You cannot change the actual NOOK device registered email, without un&re-registering from scratch. In doing so, you lose all NOOK files, books, contacts, etc. Yes, I changed my B&N email (how they get my money), yet not the email on the NOOK itself.

As roustabout pointed out, if you and your friends are willing to share your membership name and cc number, you can exchange your whole purchased libraries with each other.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Actually, you can, to people you trust somewhat

roustabout wrote:

Actually, you can lend any book you have bought with your BN account to anyone you trust with your credit card #.

Give the person you're lending the book to the file and the name and credit card number you bought the book with.  They can open it on their nook device by inputting the name and card number the book was bought with.  

Question for you, Roust. Must you enter the CC# for every book, or is it saved in the reader? The reason I ask is that I sideloaded a B&N book to read in a different reader, entered the info, and it seems to have been saved when I opened other B&N titles. I can't test this in the stock reader right now, but would it be possible for your "trusted" friend to hand you their reader, have you load a shared book and enter the DRM info (name, cc#) once and have it cached on the device? I assume the device doesn't store the actual cc#, only a hash, so this is at least safer than writing your card number down on a post-it note for them, and a reasonable solution for the OP's dilemma.

Bibliophile
bklvr896

Re: Actually, you can, to people you trust somewhat

bobstro wrote:

roustabout wrote:

Question for you, Roust. Must you enter the CC# for every book, or is it saved in the reader? The reason I ask is that I sideloaded a B&N book to read in a different reader, entered the info, and it seems to have been saved when I opened other B&N titles. I can't test this in the stock reader right now, but would it be possible for your "trusted" friend to hand you their reader, have you load a shared book and enter the DRM info (name, cc#) once and have it cached on the device? I assume the device doesn't store the actual cc#, only a hash, so this is at least safer than writing your card number down on a post-it note for them, and a reasonable solution for the OP's dilemma.

Once you enter it, it will open all books purchased with that credit card.  You are correct, it doesn't store the credit card number, just the key to open thebooks.  So yes, you could input the cc number into your trusted friends Nook.