Frequent Contributor
Zogman42
0 Kudos

Can't make SD N2A card!

I used these instructions.  Have a PNY 8 BG SD card.  http://www.androidtablets.net/forum/nook-color-technical/13156-how-cm7-bootable-sd.html

When I get to step #7 there are many, many I/O errors.  The Nook then will not fully power down.  It merely reboots.  I have tried it 4 times now without success.  I must be doing something wrong, But I can't figure out what.

Some help would be appreciated.

Jim

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Can't make SD N2A card!

If, at step 7, you do see a boot process start, and it's that boot process that throws i/o errors, it's most likely a problem with your card rather than anything else. That first cm7 boot is trying to write a ton of very small files. 

Folks tend to prefer Sandisk micro SD cards over other brands because they tend to be faster cards.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

As mentioned would try another card if available.

Also re-download the files do not open them or rename them and try steps 4 & 5 again.

4. Burn the unzipped generic-sdcard image to sd card using Win 32Disk Imager.
(NOTE: you will only see ~115MB of space on the card after doing this. This is correct and normal you are not losing the remaining space on your SD card but it will only be visable once you boot into CM7.)

5. Copy update-cm-7.1.0-encore-signed and gapps-gb-20110828-signedzip files to SD card. *Do not change the file names.*

Ignore steps 5a-5c

As these where the instructions I used with success the first time.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
Zogman42

[ Edited ]

I think I got it made.  I followed the instructions to the "T".  The other instructions I followed had me put the Gapps zip file on the SD card at the same time as the CM file.  I went through those instructions 4-5 times.  I always got the I/O error messages and no Cyanogen.  This time it loaded OK.

Now I have to figure out how to get the GApps file to unzip and load. I have copied it to the SD card. 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Yep I put the gapps.zip on root of device after it booted up to CM7. Just copy to root of device then disconnet and reboot. CM7 will unzip it and take it from there.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Correspondent
mickeyquickrice
0 Kudos

You need to use a class 4 sandisk card or you will have problems..I bought 3 cards that were not sandisk and had problems with programs shutting down..Once I went to the class 4 sandisk ..no problems since..Hope this helps.

If I had a dollar for every book I have read I would be RICH!
Distinguished Wordsmith
Rignes
0 Kudos

Yes.  I will second that you need a Sandisk Class 4 microSD card to ensure no problems.  I tried it on a Kingston and no matter what I could not get it to work.  I followed the instructions exactly twice and it would not even boot.

Then I ran and got a Sandisk and the problems all went away.  If you are careful you can find some nice sales.  I was lucky enough to fine a 32GB Sandisk at Radioshack for $20.

Contributor
PE55
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Used this method of dual booting the NC to Android without any problem.
Follow this link:

http://myraroldan.com/wp/2011/08/dual-book-your-cm7-nook-android-microsd-card/is

Distinguished Correspondent
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

Zogman42 wrote:

I think I got it made.  I followed the instructions to the "T".  The other instructions I followed had me put the Gapps zip file on the SD card at the same time as the CM file.  I went through those instructions 4-5 times.  I always got the I/O error messages and no Cyanogen.  This time it loaded OK.

Now I have to figure out how to get the GApps file to unzip and load. I have copied it to the SD card. 

I ran into the same problem.  The instructions tell you to copy both files at the same time.  I left off the GApps file, and CM7 loaded.  I am familiarizing myself with the look and feel before I go ahead and load GApps.  I did load the Amazon Market, though.  I already had that set up for my daughter's tablet.  This looks interesting.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum
0 Kudos

HumbleCorrespondent wrote:

Zogman42 wrote:

I ran into the same problem.  The instructions tell you to copy both files at the same time.  I left off the GApps file, and CM7 loaded.  I am familiarizing myself with the look and feel before I go ahead and load GApps.  I did load the Amazon Market, though.  I already had that set up for my daughter's tablet.  This looks interesting.

Makes me glad I just spent the money and bought one.  Saved myself a lot of aggravation.

Frequent Contributor
wisdombunny
0 Kudos

Have a same problem..Problem solved after reading this thread..Thanks...

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

OK, so now I have the the CM7 side working. I used a 32 gig card. But, when I boot to the stock side, it only sees 116 MB on the SD card. Is there any way to make more SD card space available to the stock side? If not, then it is not worth it to me to have a duel boot with the stock side having no additional storage. If that is the case, I would rather just stick with the stock build. Can I just reformat the card to turn it back into a normal 32 GB card, or are there extra steps involved?
That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Contributor
Sewinglady51

You can use Easus Partition Manager (free download) to gain the rest of your SD card to use as storage which the stock emmc will see: 

For Windows, we used EASEUS partition manager (free) and it's very easy: - connect your already-burned  SD to your computer - open EASEUS - select the SD card - select the SD card partition on the sd card (partition #4) - right-click, and select resize/move - drag the slider all the way over to the right to cover the remainder of the free space - Apply Now your SD card will use any "extra" space (apart from the boot/system/data files for the ROM) for traditional SD card storage!" 

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

Sewinglady51 wrote:

You can use Easus Partition Manager (free download) to gain the rest of your SD card to use as storage which the stock emmc will see: 

For Windows, we used EASEUS partition manager (free) and it's very easy: - connect your already-burned  SD to your computer - open EASEUS - select the SD card - select the SD card partition on the sd card (partition #4) - right-click, and select resize/move - drag the slider all the way over to the right to cover the remainder of the free space - Apply Now your SD card will use any "extra" space (apart from the boot/system/data files for the ROM) for traditional SD card storage!" 

Is this space seen by both the stock software and the CM7 software?  Thanks for the help.

Contributor
Sewinglady51
0 Kudos

Dear Humble......

I put my CM7 sd card in my nook this AM and found I could not acess any files in the storage part of the card while in eMMc.  However, if you have made a dual boot card it is very easy to go back and forth.  On my CM7 card I had all of the following that I have on my 16 GB SD card that I use totally for storage plus the 1.66 GB of sideloaded books.  On my 16 GB SD card I have all of my music 2.66 GB, 5 magazine collections (pdf files), one of which is 6 years worth 2.31 GB total for all, and 10 videos (mp4 format) 3.62 GB.  I still have over 6 GB left.  In the 5GB of storage I have for personal use on the eMMc side I have over 635 books sideloaded 1.66 GB.  I still have 3.33 GB left.  When B&N came out with the Dolphin Browser I found I really didn't use the CM7 card.  I  carry my dual boot card with me at all times but find for my needs the stock is sufficient.  I do prefer the android nook reading app when in CM7.  I understand they are working on improving that app.  Hope this helps you to decide if the android side is worth it.  Oh before I forget yes you can reformat your 32GB card.

poiuy
0 Kudos

It's true that you can't access the storage on your CM7 card from the Nook OS, but you CAN access the storage on your Nook from the CM7 OS. Boot into CM7, open up a file manager and inside the mnt folder you'll see an emmc folder, that's where all the sideloaded content on your Nook is stored.
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

HumbleCorrespondent wrote:

Zogman42 wrote:

To add Android Market / Google Play, copy your gapps zip file as is into the Boot partition on your SD Card.  If you boot from the NC side and connect by USB to your PC, this is your SD card's USB drive view.  This will save you from removing your SD card and having to use a card reader, as the Boot partition can't be seen from the CM7 side.  When you eject from your PC, power off.  Bring up the boot menu by holding your "n" button and the power button at the same time.  Choose to boot from the SD card, and choose to boot in recovery mode.  Then select "Boot Now".  The installer will then install the market.  When it's done, it will shutdown.  Turn it on and boot into CM7 as normal and you will begin with the Market setup.

I hope this helps.