Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

Can the touchscreen be turned off to save power?

My understanding is the NST's touchscreen uses infrared. So it would mean it is on whenever the NST is not sleeping?

For you rooters out there, can the touchscreen be turned off and therefore make the battery last longer?

Correspondent
Byteguy

Re: Can the touchscreen be turned off to save power?

This is like those extreme people that do crazy stuff with their car like put it in Neutral and turn it off when going downhill to save a tiny bit of gas.

You've already got TWO MONTHS of battery.  The screen flips needed to run any software to turn on/off the sensors would probably use up more energy than having the sensors on like normal.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

nooktwo wrote:

My understanding is the NST's touchscreen uses infrared. So it would mean it is on whenever the NST is not sleeping?

Partially correct. The IR sensors are on as long as the device is awake. The reason you have to press a button to "wake" the device is that the sensors are powered off when the screen lock is engaged. The screen doesn't "turn off" due to the nature of eink. It will retain the last image indefinitely without consuming power. In other words, they do turn off when the screen locks.

For you rooters out there, can the touchscreen be turned off and therefore make the battery last longer?

Some guys have modified it so you don't have to swipe to unlock, but that doesn't really save any battery, so much as being more convenient.

I suppose you could modify it to never use the IR touch sensors, and rely exclusively on the hardware buttons, but I haven't read of anybody doing so. I'm also not sure how much it would gain you, as wifi seems to be far the buggest culprit for consuming battery. I primarily rooted my devices to gain more control over when wifi is turned on and off.

The NST battery lasts a LONG time even without all this effort. Worry more about wifi if you really want to recognize any significant battery life improvements.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Some guys have modified it so you don't have to swipe to unlock, but that doesn't really save any battery, so much as being more convenient.

I suppose you could modify it to never use the IR touch sensors, and rely exclusively on the hardware buttons, but I haven't read of anybody doing so. I'm also not sure how much it would gain you, as wifi seems to be far the buggest culprit for consuming battery. I primarily rooted my devices to gain more control over when wifi is turned on and off.

The NST battery lasts a LONG time even without all this effort. Worry more about wifi if you really want to recognize any significant battery life improvements.

Something to note is that on the NST/G you can not select a book without the touch screen.  I'm sure you could get the side buttons, and the 'n' button to function in that way, but it would really take the ease of the device away for very minimal gain.  And I'm not sure how you would deal with turning the sensors on again, perhaps another button script.  You would basically be turning your NST/G into a N1E but without the bottom screen. 

I think the reason we haven't seen anyone offer up the scripting to enable as this is the amount of work needed added to the easy ways it could essentially lock your device up, when compared to the theoretical benefit. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

There are 6 hard buttons on a NST. Only 2 buttons are needed for turning pages. So there are plenty of options out there. With a little innovation, even the power button can be used to toggle touchscreen on-off.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

nooktwo wrote:
There are 6 hard buttons on a NST. Only 2 buttons are needed for turning pages. So there are plenty of options out there. With a little innovation, even the power button can be used to toggle touchscreen on-off.

Yes, it still involves work and the payoff is low.  No one has said it's impossible, just that the gain from it would be negligible and the amount of work would likely deter most people from even bothering.

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

Yes, it still involves work and the payoff is low.  No one has said it's impossible, just that the gain from it would be negligible and the amount of work would likely deter most people from even bothering.

If this is so important to you, nooktwo, why don't *you* go do the work to make it happen.

Report back if the payoff was worth it.

Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

If this is so important to you, nooktwo, why don't *you* go do the work to make it happen.

Report back if the payoff was worth it.

troll

Mercury_Glitch

Ya Ya is not trolling you. You have been told that what you asked about would gain little to no appreciable difference and that to do so would require some decent amount of work. Assigning buttons to functions is the least of that. Despite all that you seem to want to disable the sensors So since it is unlikely at best that others will do this and you still want it the best thing for you to do is take a look at how you could make it a reality. I'm sure it would be interesting to people here if you found it was actually a noticeable difference either positively or negatively. You may want to check the XDA forums out for help on that.
Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya

nooktwo wrote:

troll

Nope, not trolling.  I'm just sayin' 

This is very obviously important to you, (based on the fact that you keep demanding  it) but apparently not to most others (as it apparently hasn't been done yet) and those who do such things have repeatedly told you they don't think it's likely to be done because the cost vs. benefit is unfavorable.  They're not going to do it, and they don't believe that anyone else is going to do it either and X,Y, and Z are why.

Therefore, the logical conclusion is that if you want it, you should do it. Or do you truly believe that because you want something- something nobody else (seems to) wants - somebody else needs to exert the effort?

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Turning off the touchscreen capability of a product primarily marketed for its touchscreen capablility would be a very low-return effort.  Counting the OP, the total number of people who believe it would be a good idea seems to be 1.

Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

troll

This is very obviously important to you, (based on the fact that you keep demanding  it) but apparently not to most others (as it apparently hasn't been done yet) and those who do such things have repeatedly told you they don't think it's likely to be done because the cost vs. benefit is unfavorable.  They're not going to do it, and they don't believe that anyone else is going to do it either and X,Y, and Z are why.

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that I "keep demanding it"? I made a grand total of 2 posts before you. One asking the question of whether it is available and the other to discuss one technical issue raised by another member.

Ya_Ya wrote:

Therefore, the logical conclusion is that if you want it, you should do it. Or do you truly believe that because you want something- something nobody else (seems to) wants - somebody else needs to exert the effort?

Mam, if I am going to make everything that I want all by myself, I would be a very busy man. This is what a forum for, ask questions and share ideas. If you have technical issue to discuss, I would be happy to discuss. Otherwise, you are just trolling.

Mercury_Glitch

nooktwo wrote:

Ya_Ya wrote:

nooktwo wrote:

troll

How on earth did you come to the conclusion that I "keep demanding it"? I made a grand total of 2 posts before you. One asking the question of whether it is available and the other to discuss one technical issue raised by another member.

Ya_Ya wrote:

Mam, if I am going to make everything that I want all by myself, I would be a very busy man. This is what a forum for, ask questions and share ideas. If you have technical issue to discuss, I would be happy to discuss. Otherwise, you are just trolling.

Yes, you made two posts on the subject.  Lets look at the content of those posts.

1) Asking if it's possible. 

This was answered in a fair amount of depth, the summary is 'in theory yes, but the gain would not be worth the effort so no one is likely to do this without vested interest'

2) You replied to one of the issues that would have potentially been an issue, giving a way around it.

You were then reminded that no one said it was impossible, and that since you seemed to still have an interest in the matter, else why would you have replied sans 'thanks for the information, I guess I'll just not use the sensors as much as possible' or something along those lines.

You then accused the person who suggested you investigate this matter yourself of trolling. 

This is a forum, it's not here to do your bidding.  The consensus is that what you're asking for would not be worth the time and effort to achieve.  If you're still interested in it, I suggest you check the XDA forums out, those forums tend to be populated with people who may pick this up, or who may be able to give you further insight on to how to get what you want.  If you don't care enough then just don't look in to it.

Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

Mercury, I appreciate your thoughts and help on the matter.

Ya_Ya's first post does not add any value to discussion but merely try to provoke a response.

"If this is so important to you, nooktwo, why don't *you* go do the work to make it happen."

Therefore I consider it trolling.
Contributor
nooktwo
0 Kudos

As far as research goes. I have tried using a digital camera to attempt to pick up infrared signal from the NST. If it is really using infrared, the strength may be well below a typical remote control can emit because I can not pick up anything in the dark given reasonable amount of exposure. So likely it will not use as much energy as I initially thought. Therefore I decided not to pursuit further.

bobstro
0 Kudos

If you really want to get down in the weeds, get in touch with Renate over on the XDA forums. She's really gotten into the innards on the NST, and IIRC, identified a condition that can result in the sensors not turning off properly. She indicated that the sensors did consume a fair amount of power if left on, though under normal conditions, they're not the biggest power drain.

The issue Mercury pointed out is really a software one. You'd have to recode or hack the default library program, or replace it, to allow selection of a book without using the touch screen. Renate has written a text-only library program that could conceivably do this, or you could use a file browser. The menu and back buttons may also be a problem. I think you'd be looking at a reading suite of programs.

Having said all that, if most of your screen on time is spent in a book, a script to turn off IR when the actual reader is opened might work. Turn 'em back on when the 'n' key is pressed or something similar.

I am still doubtful that the savings would be worthwhile

Wordsmith
h2oskierc

nooktwo wrote:
Mercury, I appreciate your thoughts and help on the matter.

Ya_Ya's first post does not add any value to discussion but merely try to provoke a response.

"If this is so important to you, nooktwo, why don't *you* go do the work to make it happen."

Therefore I consider it trolling.

Hmm, somebody with 21 posts over a month calling someone with over 3000 posts over two and a half years a troll?  I'm not sure you know what that word means...

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

This thread reminds me of the one on the XDA forums, where someone wants to modify his Nook Touch to play music.

Note to the OP:  B&N has a history of not implementing customer suggestions, so further discussion may be cathartic but not productive.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Renate has apparently done that, Dean. She indicates that it's cumbersome, but a USB audio adapter off a hub apprently works. Other guys are trying to get video working on the NST. Not something I want or need, but who am I to criticize a hack just because they're more imaginative than I am?

Disabling the screen might be useful for using the NST in a waterproof bag for the hottub readers out there. Someone also described a disabled relative who had difficulty with touch due to palsy.

I was impressed by the guy who built a one button audiobook player for his blind grandmother. I could see a NST modified with larger side buttons being useful for the physically challenged in a similar way. The NST battery life would make it a low-maintenance solution, though the uUSB connector for charging would remain a challenge.

I wouldn't disable the screen sensors to save battery, but it might not be a completely useless exercise in the absence of any other B&N eink reader.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Experimentation or useless idea?

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

Renate has apparently done that, Dean. She indicates that it's cumbersome ....Not something I want or need, but who am I to criticize a hack just because they're more imaginative than I am? ...

Cumbersome, indeed. :smileyvery-happy:  I have a friend who, rather than use an single GPS mapping unit (eg, Garmin) in his car, had (until recently) a contraption of visible wires, multiple devices, and ugly mounting gizmos to accompish the same thing.  Knee room was scarce.  Now, it's a bit better;  he uses a 7" tablet with an integrated GPS, in a homemade (still ugly) mounting gizmo with slightly fewer wires (still all visible).  :smileyindifferent:

Yes, I have a GPS (and two two-way radios) mounted in my car, but the wires and other components are all hidden.  It was about 50 hours of work, routing power and other cables to the trunk, but it was worth it for the cosmetic result.  The trunk also contains an inverter to provide AC power if needed.  The inverter also doubles as a very quick car battery charger (dead battery to car start in about twenty minutes).  Pictures upon request ... :smileywink:

There is always the desire to experiment (and learn in the process).  One person's experiment is another person's useless idea.  I'm reminded of the guy who bought a $1000 amateur radio, which accepted internal batteries, as well as DC power from an external connector.  He modified it so that he could connect an external battery to the internal battery connectors, and proudly announced his result.  He had no answer when someone asked him, why not just connect the external battery to the DC power external connector? :smileysurprised:

When I was younger, I used to take everything electronic apart, just for the fun of it.  That was the main reason I got interested in amateur radio.  I had a very low breakage rate, and I learned a lot.  These days, I still dabble in electronics, but I choose my experiementation tasks a bit more conservatively:

1. The parts are smaller, and my vision isn't getting any better.  The average flea is bigger than the diodes I (carefully) removed from three circuit boards two days ago.
  2. With the smaller sizes and more delicate components, it's easier to break things as well.  Repair can be difficult or impossible ...
  3. With integrated circuits, there's much less to learn about electronics, but a bit more to learn about mechanical engineering.
  4. My time is more valuable, even though I have more of it available (being retired)

Just in the past week alone, I've spent over $100 on electronic parts (although that's atypically high).  However, I try to limit my experimentation to useful improvements, and (more importantly) use the right tool for the job and don't try to reinvent the wheel.  I classify getting the Nook Touch to play audio as falling into the "wrong tool for the job" category.  That doesn't make it bad, and the XDA forums are the best place to pursue that.

The OP here is a legitimate question, but probably the wrong place as well to get a productive solution.  I must say, however, that a feature to be able to disable the touch sensors (while still keeping the buttons active) and have the Nook "n" button reactivate the touch sensors, is an intriguing idea.  For a new product, that is;  B&N is certainly not going to make that change to a device that's nearing End-Of-Life.  Besides, I think B&N takes every user suggestion and makes sure it is not implemented on current devices. :smileywink:  I use shelves as my proof ...

Every Nook I've ever owned is/was being used (at least partially) for "non-B&N approved" usage, and all were rooted.  I recently ordered four "OTG" (micro-USB male to std-USB female) adapter cables (total including shipping from Hong Kong was $10.20), so that I can possibly use the two Nook Touches in USB-host mode to connect to a USB-to-serial (RS-232) adapter in a custom telnet-like portable application.  The project is stalled until I decide if the Nook Touch is an appropriate tool for the job:  Eg, what is the Nook's battery life while in USB-host mode?

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.