Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Experimentation or useless idea?

[ Edited ]

I had to smile when I read your post, Dean. I was at a truck stop in AZ and had just walked past a station wagon with a monstrous CB antenna rigged up on the back and a dash filled with gizmos. Does your buddy travel through AZ and have an affinity for A&W by any chance?

A lot of what people are doing to the NST is definitely in the borderline area. I see a lot of effort spent in "optimizing" a device with no quantifiable results. I also see a lot of claims of "smooth as glass" performance, only to find they mean "almost usable" in reality. I take all claims with a grain of salt regarding getting an $85 device to perform like a rocketship. I've also gotten good at spotting the overly-enthusiastic teens posting about results.

That said, some folks are doing some damned impressive things with the NST. The daylight readable display is still the best solution for outdoors reading I've seen. Adding USB audio to an NST in a stock case is definitely cumbersome, not to mention putting a lot of stress on that connector, but pop it out of the case and do a dash mount like some guys have done with the NC and it might make more sense. Pop it into a suitable case, and it makes a useful, self-contained streaming audio player. I'd like one as a network troubleshooting device (with the addition of a wired network connection).

Personally, I'm hoping to tinker with the NST as a offboard auxiliary display. Use it as a ruggedized, daylight display and input for a more delicate device tucked safely away in a pack or pannier, or an out-of-the-way probe. The ability to enable/disable IR input might actually be useful in such a tool. I'll be the guy experimenting with getting bluetooth going on one. With wifi, I would think it'd make a GREAT control panel for home automation buffs, what with the excellent battery life.

If I ever see a Txtr Beagle for sale, I'll definitey snag a couple for experimentation. What's the cheapest y'all have found eink touch displays going for?

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

I had to smile when I read your post, Dean. I was at a truck stop in AZ and had just walked past a station wagon with a monstrous CB antenna rigged up on the back and a dash filled with gizmos. Does your buddy travel through AZ and have an affinity for A&W by any chance?

Back in Santa Clara County someone has a white van with about 10 antennas sticking up off the roof, and a few on the back corners or bumper.

As I recall, there is no front passenger seat anymore -- replaced by a wooden frame holding about 4 large amateur rigs and a laptop.

As it is, my Jeep Cherokee in full trip mode used to look rather ominous itself. Besides the Yaesu screwdriver on the left rear corner, I used to have a mag-mount dual-band antenna on the top feeding a Kenwood D7a (2m/70cm dual band with built-in APRS/packet TNC), a mag-mount GPS patch antenna feeding a Garmin hand-held GPS unit (at the time a 12; I now have a model 76 handheld, and recently picked up a proper vehicle highway GPS unit), The GPS hand-held was patched into the D7a, so that my position would be transmitted at regular intervals (I wasn't really using it for travel directions -- it didn't have "road routing").

Radar detector on windshield.

Mag-mount CB antenna feeding a RatShack hand-held CB.

And lots of power cords going to cigarette light sockets (via 3:1 adapters).

These days the Garmin/D7a pairing is replaced by a Yaesu VX-8DR with GPS built into the microphone (trade-off: the D7a did not have internal GPS, but the packet TNC can be connected to a computer serial port for regular packet communication; the VX-8 has GPS, but the intenal TNC is only for APRS traffic using its GPS). The Garmin Nuvi does street routing and voice directions, and mounts where it is visible (the 76 does routing, but is hard to see while laying on the seat).

Baron Wulfraed
bobstro
0 Kudos

Why are you driving laying on the seat?
DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Personal FEMA station?

[ Edited ]

OK, you guys asked for it:

My humble home station

Click on the image above for a bigger image.

Tomorrow I will post an image of my mobile station. It's dark now.

bobstro wrote:

No;  fortunately, he has zero interest in RF.  His interest in electronics is solely as a typical consumer of  electronic gadgets, but he does like wires.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB, 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted; Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
Why are you driving laying on the seat?

Well, with cruise control I don't have to keep my feet on the pedals... And a Jeep Cherokee is rather angular on long drives (Seattle to San Jose with only two fuel/food stops in a single day -- it's all downhill from Mt. Shasta <G>)

Baron Wulfraed
Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

Re: Personal FEMA station?

Oooh... Envy rises...

I don't own an abacus -- just three Pickett aluminum slide rules, a plastic Faber-Castell, a laminated Faber-Castell, (Hmm, I seem to have misplaced the two Sterling), and a pair of Sama&Etana/Concise circular slide rules.

Baron Wulfraed
DeanGibson
0 Kudos

DeanGibson wrote:

Tomorrow I will post an image of my mobile station. It's dark now.

Mobile2.jpeg

Click on the image above for a bigger image.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

What's with the Apple logo on the Android device? That dash does look about right, though. Was that you at the TA truck stop at Toltec Road an hour south of Phoenix?

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

It's an iDroid !!!

[ Edited ]

bobstro wrote:

What's with the Apple logo on the Android device? That dash does look about right, though. Was that you at the TA truck stop at Toltec Road an hour south of Phoenix?

No;  I'm in Seattle, and that's in an Audi A4.

The phone is an iDroid.  It's not the usual iDroid, where you modify an Apple® iPhone™.  I mean, like, what's the point?  Sell the @#$% thing and buy a cheaper, better phone.

No sirree, this is an iDroid special edition.  You take a regular Android phone (original Motorola Droid in this case), and put an Apple® logo on it.  Not only is it a lot less work than the usual iDroid, but it's a lot cheaper as well.  When you show it to an Apple® minion, they are amazed at how cool it is, and the apps that you can get on it (usually free) that you can't get on an Apple® iPhone™.

Of course, being Apple® minion and not aware of anything outside their cloistered world (except that Steve Jobs™ helped Al Gore invent the Internet), they have no idea that such devices even exist.  Not to mention that even Windows had a very capable smartphone out at least a year before Apple® did.  Even if they did know that, the Apple® iPhone™ had to be better, because it was so cool.  All their cool friends told them so.

DeanGibson
0 Kudos

Show and tell

Wulfraed wrote:

Oooh... Envy rises...

I don't own an abacus -- just three Pickett aluminum slide rules, a plastic Faber-Castell, a laminated Faber-Castell, (Hmm, I seem to have misplaced the two Sterling), and a pair of Sama&Etana/Concise circular slide rules.

Pixs please.  This is the "show and tell" thread.

MacMcK1957

Re: Show and tell

DeanGibson wrote:

Wulfraed wrote:

Oooh... Envy rises...

Pixs please.  This is the "show and tell" thread.

I use a more traditional mathematical tool:

bobstro

Re: Show and tell

MacMcK1957 wrote:

I use a more traditional mathematical tool:

I wish I'd thought of that sooner...

Old School Math