Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Carta - New EInk Screen

[ Edited ]

So it seems that EInk has a new screen, the Carta, that is higher res and higher contrast.  It's the same screen Amazon is using in their updated KPW.

Anyone what to speculate on if B&N will release an ereader with this screen this fall?

http://www.engadget.com/2013/09/04/e-ink-new-higher-contrast-carta-display-amazon-kindle-paperwhite/

If B&N doesn't match this level of tech, I may find myself owning a Kobo or Kindle this Christmas.

ETA:

This article notes that Kobo, Sony and Kindle are all stating they have new and improved screen tech.  No mention of B&N.  I'm thinking that even if B&N does have this tech, unless they leak something or make an announcement soon, they're going to find themselves behind sales-wise very quickly.

http://www.the-digital-reader.com/2013/09/04/e-ink-announces-new-4th-gen-screen-tech-carta/?utm_sour...

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Carta - New EInk Screen

To be fair, the new screen tech in Sony and Kobos ereads has little to do with Carta, it's all about refreshes of the screen when going through multiple pages.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

To be fair, the new screen tech in Sony and Kobos ereads has little to do with Carta, it's all about refreshes of the screen when going through multiple pages.

Found that too after more digging, but... still no news if B&N will be putting out an eink nook, let alone an eink nook with the new screen refresh tech or a new, higher res screen, or this new Carta screen.

No leaks + no announcements  = no press.

Other than the Kobo article that I posted yesterday (which questioned if Kobo was making the same mistakes B&N did), there's pretty much no device-related press on B&N right now.

No press = no reason for buyers to wait to see what you do.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie

I agree that B&N has lacked advertising from the very beginning. Other companies have people anxiously awaiting a new device that has been advertised for a specific date or at least a leak stating something great is coming. B&N just doesn't make people aware that there is something coming worth waiting for.
Contributor
rbrenart
0 Kudos

I don't know, in the past B&N put out the high tech version of the e-ink devices months ahead of Amazon, and while it always won critical acclaim it never seemed to move the needle much on the sales discussion. 

I'm wondering if they're trying to a) skip a cycle or b) bring it out for the holiday and see if that helps.

Either one makes sense to me, but I'm curious to find out which it really is.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

A Fall release is pretty much the device you push for the holiday season.  Trying to release a device in the holiday season is generally less than wise.  I'd hope B&N learned this with the HD.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

A Fall release is pretty much the device you push for the holiday season.  Trying to release a device in the holiday season is generally less than wise.  I'd hope B&N learned this with the HD.

I disagee. eInk has historically released their new products (screen tech) in the early fall, so BN releasing their ereaders in May always left them a generation behind compared to the competition. By moving their eInk launch timeframe to the fall they can take advantage of the new technology and have a "brand new!" device to promote during the busiest shopping time of the year.

keriflur

flyingtoastr wrote:

Mercury_Glitch wrote:

I disagee. eInk has historically released their new products (screen tech) in the early fall, so BN releasing their ereaders in May always left them a generation behind compared to the competition. By moving their eInk launch timeframe to the fall they can take advantage of the new technology and have a "brand new!" device to promote during the busiest shopping time of the year.

Yes, except the two biggest competitors just announced their fall devices, and B&N is without even a leak let alone an announcement.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

BN's always been terrible at building hype. They got it right for the NOOK Color and the 1.2 software update, and then have been utterly inept since. We know two new devices are coming, but that's it.

As I've said again and again, it all goes back to a corperate culture that's mired in the 90's, keeping all their "trade secrets" as close to the vest as possible and running around paranoid that the managers from Borders are secretly taking pictures of the endcaps.

Still doesn't change the fact that launching in the fall is a much better idea than launching in May.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'd like to point out, I said Fall > Holiday, not Spring > Fall.

Releasing in the holiday season would not be wise, releasing prior to it when the tech is new would be.