Contributor
JamalJan
0 Kudos

Changing time on Nook?

hi..

i'm trying to figure out how to change the time in my nook. I've already set it to my time-zone, i.e. Karachi,Islamabad but the time that it gives is still inaccurate. Any idea how to change the time itself?

Contributor
JamalJan
0 Kudos

Re: Changing time on Nook?

no one knows?

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

The device syncs time over the internet. When I tried using a nook and bypassing regisration it wouldn't sync the time.

Correspondent
Byteguy
0 Kudos

You can't change the time.

You set your time zone and then hook it up to the internet (wi-fi) and it checks GMT and does the math.  There's no way to set it yourself.

It's pretty good at keeping time once you get it right.  Mine hasn't been on wi-fi since July and it's still accurate.

Contributor
JamalJan
0 Kudos

thanks. will use wifi to get the updated time :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

FYI, now that there are a gazillion forums on here it can take a lot longer to get through them all, which means it takes a lot longer to give responses.  So please be patient.  If you have a legitimate question (and you did) someone will eventually see it and respond.

:smileyhappy:

Contributor
Silfren
0 Kudos

Not true.  I've got the latest software update available, have had the Nook connected via WiFi (and it is connected via wifi right now), and the time is still wrong.  It may work for you, but I've got the same problem as the OP.  I'm on Mountain time, and that's what my nook is set to, but it literally alternates between being one hour behind or one hour ahead.  All day yesterday, it was one hour ahead, but ever since this morning, it's been one hour behind.  Go figure.  We need to have the option to change it manually.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

Silfren wrote:

Not true.  I've got the latest software update available, have had the Nook connected via WiFi (and it is connected via wifi right now), and the time is still wrong.  It may work for you, but I've got the same problem as the OP.  I'm on Mountain time, and that's what my nook is set to, but it literally alternates between being one hour behind or one hour ahead.  All day yesterday, it was one hour ahead, but ever since this morning, it's been one hour behind.  Go figure.  We need to have the option to change it manually.

Are you using different Wifi connections? In that case perhaps one of the connections you are using is supplying the wrong time?

If you are using only one Wifi connection than the time difference should stay the same (even if the time supplied is wrong), and you could adjust the time zone to get the correct time.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Your WIFI connection doesn't supply the time. The Nook reaches out to a internet time server that is programmed into the firmware. If the time is truly flopping by an hour one way or the other it is a bug that needs to be fixed.

Contributor
defter
0 Kudos

Hi!

I have the same problem. The nook doesn't show the correct time. There is +6 hour and 45 minutes difference between the correct and the showed time. When I connect to the WIFI sometimes it change the time but after that the differences is - 6h45m. It's ridiculous....

Do you have any idea what should i do?

bobstro
0 Kudos

defter wrote:

Hi!

I have the same problem. The nook doesn't show the correct time. There is +6 hour and 45 minutes difference between the correct and the showed time. When I connect to the WIFI sometimes it change the time but after that the differences is - 6h45m. It's ridiculous....

Do you have any idea what should i do?

Did you double-check your timezone settings? (Settings->Time->Select time zone -- note that there's an option to display global time zones.)

Contributor
defter
0 Kudos

Yes, I do. But it doesn't matter. If I change the time zone, the hours change on the nook but the 6h45m difference is still there. The strange thing is that if I connect to the wifi the difference is -6h45m and I get off from the wifi the difference goes back to +6h45m. 

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Where are you that you are seeing such a large difference?  I wouldn't be surprised if the Nook has problems with time zones outside the the Americas, since its target audience is the USA. Likely never tested on time zones beyond the Americas.

Contributor
defter
0 Kudos

Why sould it matter? Time zones aren't diffucult thing, you don't need to carry the device across the country/world to test it. The only differences between timezones are the distance from GMT/UTC. And then just do the math, add or substract the proper number of hour. And the user give this number.

If timezone will be the problem, the minutes can be good. 

Right now I'm in Europe, but I bought and registered the device in LA. I noticed the issue there, but I thought it's just a WIFI problem. But it isn't.  

bobstro
0 Kudos

If you set your timezone for a US timezone, does it display the correct time for that timezone? Is it only off when you've selected a non-US timezone? What timezone have you selected?

Contributor
defter
0 Kudos

Let say I choose Atlantic time (NYC). The time is there right now:17:55. My Nook shows 10:10.

Now I change to Brussels where the time is 23:55 and my Nook shows 16:10.

I'm on WIFI. The difference is always 7hour and 45 minute.  

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm not trying to challenge you here, just trying to suggest some troubleshooting steps. So, to be 100% clear, you HAVE set it to a US timezone and it still shows the same offset, correct?

Are you rooted, by any chance? There are tools to allow you to sync with a different timeserver if so.

Contributor
defter
0 Kudos

Yes, correct. The offset is always the same. 

I didn't root it yet. Could you tell me more about these tools? Or give me a link? 

And do not get me wrong, I appreciate that you want to help me. Thank you!

bobstro
0 Kudos

I use ClockSync to automatically set my time to the local timezone when I travel. I don't know that it will fix your problem, but I have to wonder if your device is using a faulty time server, or it's an internal problem. You don't want ClockSync waking up constantly and eating battery, but it might help. Of course, you will have to root to install this. If nothing else, being rooted, you'll be able to dig deeper into the device configuration. You shouldn't have to, though. Have you tried calling tech support to see if they can help? They may not, since your're not in the US, but it's worth a shot. You don't have to tell them! 

Contributor
defter
0 Kudos

Yes, I tried them and we went throught the usual deregister, erase and register again process... But it didn't help.

I found an other user with similiar issues in an other forum. His solution was to exchange the device in the store.  

I will try this CLockSync, thanks for the advice!