Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47

Charging the Nook Tablet

[ Edited ]

Yesterday I had to charge my new Nook Tablet (the 16gb version). The tablet was turned completely off when I plugged it into the charger and then into the wall socket. The tablet screen came on and I immediately pressed the "Off" button. My question is, does it matter if the tablet is on or off while it's being charged? The last time I did a recharge the screen came on and, after a few seconds, it went dark again without my pressing any buttons. Was it still on then, or did the Nook power itself down for the charge cycle?

Contributor
VegNook
0 Kudos

Re: Charging the Nook Tablet

Hi lopaka, The Nook Tablet has to be on when it charges. If it is off it will turn itself on, like yours did. When the screen turns itself dark it is just going to sleep and it will charge in that mode. Your Nook is set to go to sleep automatically after a certan period if time. You can adjust that time in your Nook settings. You can push the power button once to put it to sleep faster but don't try to turn it off when it is charging because it has to be on when charging.
Frequent Contributor
alienkid
0 Kudos

vegNook: You are incorrect I've made my NT turn off after plugging in the cable and found it charge at a (slightly) faster speed. It especially helps when charging on a .5 or 1A USB charger.

OT: If Nook is powered off (not just sleeping) plugging it in to power will power it on where if it's left alone it will go to "sleep" (screen turns off). To force it to sleep if it's on just press the power button for about .5-1 second. To off when plugged in or not, hold power until a dialog appears then tap "power off." I have found that Nook will still charge if powered off like this, but don't know if battery full detection works or not, so I wouldn't charge like this unless charging from a computer.

Contributor
VegNook
0 Kudos

Thanks, Alienkid, yeah i've never tried it I was just going by what the manual says. It says the Nook must be on during charging, so I always doing that way.

Inspired Bibliophile
deesy58

lopaka47 wrote:

Yesterday I had to charge my new Nook Tablet (the 16gb version). The tablet was turned completely off when I plugged it into the charger and then into the wall socket. The tablet screen came on and I immediately pressed the "Off" button. My question is, does it matter if the tablet is on or off while it's being charged? The last time I did a recharge the screen came on and, after a few seconds, it went dark again without my pressing any buttons. Was it still on then, or did the Nook power itself down for the charge cycle?

Usually, when you plug your NOOK Tablet into the charging cord, the screen lights up so that a brief icon and message can inform you of the current state of battery charge.  If you just leave the Tablet alone, the system will sleep and the screen will become dark after a short time.  When you remove the charging cord, you should see the same icon and message telling you whether the battery is 100% charged, or if it has charged to less than a full charge level.  This is all normal, and is a nice feature of the NOOK, IMO.

Inspired Correspondent
lopaka47
0 Kudos

My thanks to all, for your courteous and thoughtful replies. I really appreciate your help! :smileyhappy:
New User
mamoRM
0 Kudos

Dear VegNook,

I am having a problem to charge my nook. It has to be off to be charged and it takes the whole night or day to fully charge it. It can not charge while on and the green light on the cable remains on when the nook is charged on and no charging.

Please help as I cannot use my nook with the charger connected as it is not charging.

MamoRM

New User
mamoRM
0 Kudos

I have a similar problem. can somebody help???

New User
DanGeorges
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

To charge the Nook Tablet while it is powered down:

1. Attach charger cable to Nook and to electricity
2. Turn the Nook Tablet off (hold down power button until you're prompted to power it down).
3. It will now charge and remain powered down.

4. To turn it back on, push the power button for about .5 to 1 second.

New User
DanGeorges
0 Kudos

You may need a new power cable. Take it to a B&N store and have them take a look at it