Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

Color Kindle in 2012? (Rumor)

CNET is passing on data from an unreliable source that there will be color e-ink kindles with capacitive touch screens later this year.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57432320-1/amazon-likely-to-ship-color-kindles-this-year-report-...

I could see the color screens, but I'm calling no dice on the capacitive touch screen, as the color e-ink is muted at best, and Sony's past touch device shows that adding a capacitive layer reduces contrast (hence the choice for IR touch on the nooks and kindle).

Thoughts?

Correspondent
Steph0690
0 Kudos

Re: Color Kindle in 2012? (Rumor)

This sounds very interesting. I'm assuming that before Amazon launches a color Kindle it would launch one with a built in light such as the Glowlight. Or maybe they'll go straight to a color Kindle with a built in light? I wonder how that would look.

friend me on Goodreads :smileyhappy:
http://www.goodreads.com/stephanya
Distinguished Correspondent
akaCat
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:

CNET is passing on data from an unreliable source that there will be color e-ink kindles with capacitive touch screens later this year.

http://news.cnet.com/8301-17938_105-57432320-1/amazon-likely-to-ship-color-kindles-this-year-report-...

I could see the color screens, but I'm calling no dice on the capacitive touch screen, as the color e-ink is muted at best, and Sony's past touch device shows that adding a capacitive layer reduces contrast (hence the choice for IR touch on the nooks and kindle).

Thoughts?

It's quite possible that they're working on color e-ink. But the one color e-ink I've heard of actually available for sale is $500. I can't see Amazon figuring out how to sell one at a reasonable price point this year.

Wordsmith
moose_tracker
0 Kudos

Kindle already released news of an upcoming glowlight.. Showed a prototype, in what looked like a box instead of a protective shell..  It came out just days before B&N, announced the Glow light to be released in May, and they would start taking pre-orders starting now..

To me it seemed like B&N kept their new product very quiet until the release date, but Kindle already had gotten word of it, and since they couldn't jump into the market with it before the NSTG was launched, they tried at least to be first announcing they were designing one, before B&N announced theirs was ready to be purchased..

Some corporate espionage afoot?

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,244
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

moose_tracker wrote:

Kindle already released news of an upcoming glowlight. Showed a prototype, in what looked like a box instead of a protective shell. ... they tried at least to be first announcing they were designing one, before B&N announced theirs was ready to be purchased..

Some corporate espionage afoot?

Remember the rumors of a color Kindle, fully a year (right after the Nook Color was introduced) before they released one?

Same thing here.  This is a classic IBM technique ("FUD") from the 1960's, for which they were punished somewhat severely by the DoJ.  Apple does the same thing with its "rumors" (aren't we yet up to the iPhone7 and iPad 6???).  Unfortunately, sources of rumors are hard to trace, especially with fanboys making them up all the time.

That doesn't surprise me about Amazon.  What surprises me is that they sat on their (non-B&N) laurels with elevated prices for their Kindles, until B&N snuck underneath them with better readers, and now they are in a serious hardware catch-up position.  They still have a superior market position, but that can change quickly.  Notice how much more the Nook is mentioned in the lemming press, after the deal with Microsoft?  Like that makes a difference.  Microsoft owns a significant part of Facebook, but I don't see Facebook affected externally (except that the buggy web software is still there).  I'll bet the same holds true in the B&N case;  Microsoft's investment is to make sure they are not left out in the cold in the future.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Here's the actual Tech Crunch rumor article

There's a lot of I-know-a-guy and I-am-told

The device frame was hidden in a cardboard enclosure

He reports that Amazon required screen light company, but no record of that acquisition

He refers to Flex Lighting, the actual manufacturer of the Glowlight layer

Could this rumor actually have been a glimpse of the Nook Glowworm?

also, on topic, LOL color eInk. Will be nice when it hapens but I will be surprised for affordable and vibrant in 2012.

roustabout
0 Kudos

There's video from this year's CES of devices that meet neither the affordable nor vibrant criteria- and I'd add "not dog slow to refresh" to my wish list

http://jasongriffey.net/wp/2012/01/16/color-eink-demonstration-from-ces-2012/   

Available via Sears for 500 bucks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6115590001P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sk... 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
keriflur
0 Kudos

Schwa wrote:

also, on topic, LOL color eInk. Will be nice when it hapens but I will be surprised for affordable and vibrant in 2012.

Vibrant is not a word I'd used to describe the color screens that e-ink is making, LOL.

I think that Amazon would buy the screens in such bulk, and sell the readers for at or below cost, to get them into the affordable range (tho affordable is a relative term, and could mean almost anything).  They could also skimp on other aspects of the reader to achieve this.  Whether it will happen this year tho... I dunno.  Maybe they can pull it off for the Christmas rush?

keriflur

roustabout wrote:

There's video from this year's CES of devices that meet neither the affordable nor vibrant criteria- and I'd add "not dog slow to refresh" to my wish list

http://jasongriffey.net/wp/2012/01/16/color-eink-demonstration-from-ces-2012/   

Available via Sears for 500 bucks

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_SPM6115590001P?sid=IDx20101019x00001a&ci_src=14110944&ci_sk... 

LOL, there's color in those images?

Inspired Contributor
ReformedReader
0 Kudos

I just came across this topic and did some checking. 

There is one thing I see regarding the JetBook that would lead me to believe Amazon *MIGHT* be able to get an "affordable" color Kindle out by Christmas this year.  I noticed that the $500 JetBook is the size of a $379 Kindle DX (9.7"), not the size of a $79 - $139 Kindle (6").  So it is conceivable that Amazon might be able to get a 6" color device out at near the $150 price point by Christmas. 

Whether the other issues mentioned will effect sales will have to be determine when (if?) such a device hits the market.

At this point I really can't think of a good reason for there to be a 6" color e-ink device, but likely somebody will try to market one.  I can see the rational behind a 9.7" color device to be used for text books, but why would I need a color device to read novels?