Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

Re: Cover Recommendation for Nook Simple Touch

Velcro or I'd try the tape that they use to mend hems. I sew, but I'm lazy.
Contributor
SusanaSZ
0 Kudos

I love a simple slipcase to carry it, specially in my purse. I prefer a zipper to keep dust out of the screen and conectors, specially with glowlight. I don´t know if it´s worth buying a hard case or if a soft neoprene will do?

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

A soft case is probably sufficient, but I would recommend some sort of stiffener to protect the screen from errant pokes. My ideal would be a lightweight case with a thick-ish board to protect the screen, but with a notch to prevent the 'n' button from being pressed inadvertently and powering up the display unnecessarily.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

SusanaSZ wrote:

I love a simple slipcase to carry it, specially in my purse. I prefer a zipper to keep dust out of the screen and conectors, specially with glowlight. I don´t know if it´s worth buying a hard case or if a soft neoprene will do?

I've been using B&N's soft neoprene case since I got my NST. I've had no difficulties. For me it's perfect since I prefer to use the device "naked" while I'm reading. Unfortuntely, they don't seem to be offering the neoprene case for the NST any more. I see it in the catalog in several colors, but sized for the NT and NC. I know they were on sale a couple of months ago, perhaps because they were being phased out. Maybe local stores still have them.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did see the neoprene case for the NST at my local shoppe a few days ago.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

A soft case is probably sufficient, but I would recommend some sort of stiffener to protect the screen from errant pokes. My ideal would be a lightweight case with a thick-ish board to protect the screen, but with a notch to prevent the 'n' button from being pressed inadvertently and powering up the display unnecessarily.

See if Roustabout will share his pattern with you.:smileyhappy:  It involved a thin piece of plywood, corderoy, and velcro.  (I think he posted a photo at one point, but I can't find it.)

roustabout
0 Kudos

My recipe:

- length of black corduroy ~ 3x length of NST and ~ 1.2x width of NST

- piece of craft plywood small enough to rest on the bezel of the NST without pressing any of the buttons

- industrial velcro

- batting material

- twill tape

Plan on doing this twice.  You'll throw out the first one, but you'll learn how to get the second one right.

Fold the black corduroy so that you can make a pocket for the plywood, leaving about an NST length of corduroy dangling.  Measure out your batting so that you can use it to hold the ply securely (from both sides) in that pocket.  

Apply iron.  

Now, fold in that lip of corduroy so you have a hem, of sorts, and use batting to stick that down along the whole length of your project - you wind up with a cloth-covered board with a tail and hems.  The tail should be ~ the length of your NST.  

Apply iron.

Get your twill tape out and - hey, more batting - use it to dress up the open seams some.  Otherwise, you'll have corduroy going everywhere, forever.  

Apply iron.  

On the back of your NST, put down four pads of velcro hooks.  I use velcro with good adhesive on it;  alternately, you could try using batting material and ironing it, but I don't think you or your nook will be happy with the look, feel or smell of that result!  :smileyhappy:

On the 'tongue' of corduroy fabric, put down a couple of lengths of velcro fuzzies.  Here, by all means, you can use the batting and apply the iron again :smileyhappy:

When you're done, it's mostly a matter of getting the positioniong of the pads right so that your cover seats well over your bezel - not landing on the screen, and not activating the buttons.  I actually really like using black corduroy for these projects.  My nook color  / nook tablet cases are way more elaborate but do involve a black corduroy element (as well as wood, magnets and a little bit of work with a file.)   

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Over on the XDA forums, ZilverZurfan has a nice DIY slip case as well.

Contributor
Parteecia
0 Kudos

If I was actually good at sewing I would not have ended up with the two extra pockets!

For my NC case I did sandwich a heavy sheet of vinyl in the fabric to protect the screen although I'm impressed at how tough the screens are proving to be.
Contributor
SusanaSZ
0 Kudos

I´m thinking about removing the piece of foam it came with the original box and gluing it inside the case... I think it´s all that´s needed to protect the screen...

Reader 2
Arclight
0 Kudos

bobstro
0 Kudos

I've actually got the sibling of that Roocase flip cover:

The Roocase line is very nice, particularly after the price drops. However, there are a few drawbacks to consider:

1. The removable inner "bikini" case is very nice when you don't need the cover. I'm not sure, but I believe it is also removable on the flip style case. I assume since you posted that recommendation that you own one of these, Arclight. Is it removable? You can turn the NST around to face the stiff back for travel. Unfortunately, it dramatically alters the feel o f the device. You completely lose the recessed back on the NST which makes it so nice to hold. Also, assuming both are removable, the "hook" portion of the velcro is in a disc shape at the center, and does not extend to the edges. This make it wobble if you lay it flat. I put a couple of stick-on rubber feet at the bottom edge to counter this, and they provide a nice finger grip which partially makes up for the loss of "gripability".

2. I've got 4 Roocases in the house now, and really do like them. Unfortunately, my last must have been manufacturered somewhere with lax standards. The thing reeked of chemicals, to the point that I couldn't sleep with it in the room. After a week, I finally dunked it in warm sudsy water and let it sit in the sun for a day. It is finally tolerable, though a tad rougher looking now.

What I like about some of the simple, home-made cases is that they preserve the nice feel of the NST. I've put a skin on one to give some rudimentary protection and it's my favorite. I also like the silicon skin.

Distinguished Correspondent
keithlm

bobstro wrote:
1. The removable inner "bikini" case is very nice when you don't need the cover. I'm not sure, but I believe it is also removable on the flip style case. I assume since you posted that recommendation that you own one of these, Arclight. Is it removable? You can turn the NST around to face the stiff back for travel. Unfortunately, it dramatically alters the feel o f the device. You completely lose the recessed back on the NST which makes it so nice to hold. Also, assuming both are removable, the "hook" portion of the velcro is in a disc shape at the center, and does not extend to the edges. This make it wobble if you lay it flat. I put a couple of stick-on rubber feet at the bottom edge to counter this, and they provide a nice finger grip which partially makes up for the loss of "gripability".

I just got one... and yes the inside case is removable.

In addition the velcro portion is on the removable cover part... and the back of the "bikini" part that stays on the NST is made of a felt like material.

I only just got it so I can't say anything else... it feels kind of "closed up" on the sides where the page turning parts are.... but I don't think it will be a problem.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update, Keith. I wonder if they changed the velcro arrangement on both models now? The arrangement you have (hooks on the outer case, loops on the removable portion) makes a lot more sense, and matches the NOOK Color/Tablet versions. 

I agree that the inner case makes the buttons hard to use. I have to use my thumbnail, or just use screen swipes to navigate.

The Roocases are definitely my favorites, despite these issues.The inner case is a big plus in my book... er, nook.

Contributor
WideAwake
0 Kudos

I had the industrial stand case but recenetly changed it for a speck folio case, which I really like. Not sure if anyone linked it before but:

http://www.speckproducts.com/fitfolio-for-nook-touch.html

It barely adds any bulk and is comfortable to hold, and offers good protection. 30 bucks.

Reader 2
cronraptor
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have the red version of the Roocase bobstro posted the image of.  I substituted a red Trident Aegis case for the soft inner case, and used hot glue (red) to glue red velcro eyelet strips on the back of the Aegis.  The red is for higher visibility, and the Trident for extra protection, given where I use the device.  I also use screen protector film.  I just wish there was an Otterbox defender type case for extra breakage protection of the screen (which probably isn't possible given the way the NST screen works).

(on the other hand, I spent 50 bucks to protect a device I could replace for 80.  Looks pretty though...)

Contributor
bombora56
0 Kudos

I had standard hardcover case with the magnet piece that holds it shut. When I upgraded to the glowlight and wanted something different so I recently bought the neoprene slip jacket and I love it. Holding the nook the way it was supposed to be held I find a lot more enjoyable. When I'm done I slide it right back in the neoprene jacket and zipper it up and thats it. The top part where the zipper is I notice has a little "bubble" to it (probably because of the zipper) and doesn't sit totally flat against the nook like the bottom half does but its really not a deal breaker for me. It is soft, but i think enough padding that if you were to drop something on it that isn't too heavy you'd still be fine. I find it perfect for every day use and would be great for traveling also.

Scribe
Haleakala_LKB
0 Kudos

Just thought I'd put my 2 cents in on this one. GOt my NST Glow last week, started the search for a case immediately. LIke the OPs wife, I want to read it "naked", but needed something to protect to carry it in my purse, or to just have laying around the house. Never know what may happen! Wasn't finding anything that met my needs until I stopped by WalMart this morning. Bought a Belkin pleated zip case for a Kindle Touch. The width is a snug fit, but the zip does close around it without undue stretching, so no stress on the zipper.

It cushions, it is barely larger than the device, I think it will be exactly what I want.

LisaB 

Reader 4
LibraryGrandma
0 Kudos

My husband has a Nook Simple Touch with Glowlight.  He, too, was concerned  about the fact that there are only two plastic clips on the left side.  I suggested he use velcro dots on the back of the right side to stick the unit to the right side of the cover.  The velcro holds it in place and doesn't interfere with reading or with operation, yet the unit can easily be removed if needed.  Hope this helps if you, too, are concerned.