Distinguished Correspondent
AndyfromVA

Cover Recommendation for Nook Simple Touch

My wife, a huge reader, wants a Nook Simple Touch that she can keep in her purse all the time.  I told her it would be a good idea to get a cover in case she dropped the device.  She's concerned that a cover will add so much bulk that she'll have trouble fitting it in her purse.

I have a thick faux leather cover for my Nook 1E which does a great job protecting the device.  But my wife thinks it's too bulky.

Does anyone have a recommendation for a good, sturdy but compact cover to buy for the Nook Simple Touch?

Distinguished Scribe
Ya_Ya
0 Kudos

Re: Cover Recommendation for Nook Simple Touch

I really prefer to read my N1E coverless.  I'm almost certain I would feel the same way about an N2E.

I have a Hutton Envelope for my N1E and it adds almost no bulk; I can toss it into any handbag I normally carry.  If N1E is in the case I originally bought (but don't use), the Madison, it doesn't fit into many of those.

Maybe she'd be happier with an envelope/sleeve than a cover.  They add less bulk.

Sellers Botene, ElisaLou and PuppyDogsNPolkaDots at www.etsy.com all have (very cute!) sleeves that might work.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I would recommend a slip cover.  My own preference with the N2E has been to read without a cover although I did use one on the N1E.  B&N has slipcovers available for the Nook Simple Touch but I found one on Amazon that was much less expensive and does the job just fine for when I need to carry my Nook around.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Inspired Correspondent
apetit
0 Kudos

AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

Thanks for the recommendations.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

Bulk was my most important consideration when I bought my cover.  I went to the store so I could look at them all and decided against the quote cover I initially wanted because it was too bulky for me.  Instead, I bought the Industriell Easel Cover.  It is very light and adds almost no bulk to the N2E at all.  Here are some pictures I tooke right after I bought it:

I hope this helps!

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I have a case from Oberon Design for my nook color - it's beautiful and sturdy! You can look at their designs here: http://www.oberondesign.com/Nook-Touch.php - there are covers for multiple types of e-readers, nooks in particular. They have a wonderful range of designs and colors, and will keep your wife's nook well protected. It might be a little bulkier than what she wants, but I think she would love the cover enough to overlook that. I take my nook everywhere, and I don't worry about it getting damaged. 

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
AndyfromVA
0 Kudos

elaine_hf wrote:

I have a case from Oberon Design for my nook color - it's beautiful and sturdy! You can look at their designs here: http://www.oberondesign.com/Nook-Touch.php - there are covers for multiple types of e-readers, nooks in particular. They have a wonderful range of designs and colors, and will keep your wife's nook well protected. It might be a little bulkier than what she wants, but I think she would love the cover enough to overlook that. I take my nook everywhere, and I don't worry about it getting damaged. 

The Oberon cover is awesome but it may be too bulky for my wife.  I'll see what she thinks.

RJR443
0 Kudos

I bought a Kobo 1st gen padded cover. It's barely bigger than the N2E. It requirees a bit of velcro, but it's a good fit. And it doesn't add much bulk.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,238
Solutions: 4
0 Kudos

While I love Oberon and have a bunch of their products, I have not bought an Oberon cover for my N2E yet because the cover weighs more than the device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I use the quilted kindle 3 cover that Timbuk2 makes.  It provides a lot of protection without adding a lot of bulk and it's lightweight too.

Contributor
sue-321
0 Kudos

This is the one I use and I love it.  The front folds back so I can hold the Nook with one hand.  I had the same cover for my Nook 1

http://gifts.barnesandnoble.com/James-Quote-Cover-in-Turquoise-for-NOOK-2nd-Edition/e/9780594017462/

Inspired Contributor
boe0485
0 Kudos

I just received my cover from M-Edge.  I got the Executive in black and it is very nice.  It holds the Nook very securely and the M-Edge light fits very nicely inside the cover.  I purchased it directly from M-Edge at medgestore.com.  There is free shipping and if you use the promo code of BACK2SKL you will get a 20% discount.  The code is only good until 8/31/2011 so if you are looking at an M-Edge cover don't wait too long!

Contributor
Roam

I recently purchased a cover from B&N and really dislike it. The problem is that the Nook is only anchored to the cover on the left side so when I use the buttons on the left side of the Nook to turn the pages the unit flops about and requires an extra frim push.

Any recomendations for covers that anchor the unit on both sides?

Wordsmith
elaine_hf
0 Kudos

Roam wrote:

I recently purchased a cover from B&N and really dislike it. The problem is that the Nook is only anchored to the cover on the left side so when I use the buttons on the left side of the Nook to turn the pages the unit flops about and requires an extra frim push.

Any recomendations for covers that anchor the unit on both sides?

Hi! Once again, I'll suggest you check out the Oberon covers. Yes, they're heavy, but they're beautiful and I feel like my nookcolor is well protected. And all 4 corners are anchored. I really don't notice the weight, but because they're thicker leather they do weigh a bit more than some of the other choices.

Elaine

‎"Peculiar travel suggestions are dancing lessons from God." -Bokonon
scotta316
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I bought this one from Amazon the same day I ordered my Nook Simple Touch. To be honest, I wasn't expecting much at this price, but I'm really happy with it. It holds the N2E securely, and has a very nice padded leather exterior. I chose this one because I didn't like the way some of the others covered too much of the bezel.

It doesn't have a cut-out on the back for the power button, but it can still be pushed by pressing on the top of the back cover. The included stylus is actually pretty nice, but it makes the cover fit too tightly, so I don't keep it inside.

EDIT: I'll be darned! It's two dollars cheaper now than it was when I bought it!

Reader 4
SuzzyDA
0 Kudos

I've been looking at covers for a a few days now since hubby is upgrading me from N1E to NST for Christmas. I don't leave home without my Nook (or much of anything else I own, according to him) and my bag or purse tends to get tossed about so I need something heavy duty.

My N1E has always been in a hard crystal case and then in this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0033TB004/ref=oh_o01_s00_i00_details (which was a just a bit more

expensive at the time!) and I've never had a moment's worry. Now I'm finding the crystal cases don't seem to exist for NST so I'm having to research other options.

Right now I'm looking at

http://www.amazon.com/Trident-Simple-Silicone-Protector-AG-NKTH-RD/dp/B005Z2UR3S/ref=sr_1_7?ie=UTF8&...

or

http://www.amazon.com/Speck-Products-SPK-A0648-Fitfolio--Reader/dp/B0065GASXM/ref=sr_1_6?s=electroni...

then I guess I can just slide either one into a padded sleeve for extra protection

Frequent Contributor
Loyd
0 Kudos

I've used three different covers for my NST and the only really satisfactory one is an m-Edge Go Jacket. It uses book cover boards front and back plus having a spine made of book board which prevents it from squishing in my hand or when I press the page buttons on the left side. It has a pouch to hold the eLuminator light, which is the best book light among the 15 or 20 I've tried over the years. All that and it's still quite light weight.

The only drawback is that it only comes in red, pink and black. I have the black one. I don't especially like the pattern but red or pink are not my colors.

You can get a look at them at Best Buy, Target, Radio Shack, Staples and probably more, or see them on the m-Edge website.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0
0 Kudos

I purchased a cover the day I got my N2E.  I returned it the next day since I found that unlike my N1E the device was easier to hold without it in my opinion.

I have a sleeve case for the N2E, though, for when I'm not reading.

►Without order there is chaos◄
Contributor
AmySay
0 Kudos

Why isn't there an Industriell front cover for the N2E like I use with my 1st edition Nook?  I want minimal bulk.