Distinguished Scribe
Schwa

Curious about NGL reviews

The current reviews for the Nook Glowlight on the site show an interesting but disturbing trend and maybe some of y'all can help me to understand.

Question 1:

I can understand if someone is disappointed with specs on the new model.  Specifically concerning the page turn buttons and the SD card slot.  I can't tell anyone what they should and shouldn't like and it could arguably be pointed out as a step sideways (maybe backwards) for the brand.

But why would people one say (paraphrased from numerous reviews) "I'm disappointed in the lack of page turn buttons and SD card slot so I'm going to get a Kindle instead."  If these are important features, why would another brand with the same lack of features be an obvious choice?

Question 2:

Okay, so no page turn buttons.  You can still tap the side of the screen, which does the same thing with less effort.  Why are physical buttons so important when they are actually redundant?

Genuinely curious, thanks in advance for informative insight instead of flames.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

The 'I'm going to Kindle!' folks tend to have not done their research.  Some will end up switching but most likely stay and just post in anger.

As for the folks who like the buttons, I just don't know.  Any conditions that would make reading without gloves (they get in the way of the ir sensors), would likely be uncomfortable to read in.  Some of it may be from using the NST which wasn't as responsive. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Guess it just comes down to habit and preference. I never used them on the 1st original Nook.

As to missing SD card. Well many will find that even more an issue. As the newer 4gb and only 512mb reserved for personal side-loaded content. For some that is a deal breaker.

The other that pops up is only in white issue. And is more an aesthetic issue. Personally I hate white. As mentioned makes the screen appear darker. And my experience harder to keep clean. And feel I shouldn't have to spend another $20-$30 to cover up what should be choices in the first place.

Where people need to tread lightly is making light of other's preferences. Their priorities are not our priorities. And there concerns are just as valid.

I see way too many making or belittling of those concerns. Because it isn't one for them. So therefore not a real issue.

Just because many may think no SD card slot or only in white is not an issue for them. Then must not be a real concern and other's are just being to nit-picky.
"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

For me, the side buttons are really handy for reading while holding the NST left handed. I can hold it and turn pages with the same hand. If holding it right handed or if it's laying on the table I don't use them other than to scroll through the library.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

I never used the buttons on my NST, I found them to hard to press one handed.  With the new NGL, I find it hard to hold one handed, especially in my right hand, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the carpel tunnel/tendonitis/arthritis in my hands, which is worse in my right hand.  I simply can't grip things like I used to.  

bobstro

[ Edited ]
Schwa wrote:

[...] But why would people one say (paraphrased from numerous reviews) "I'm disappointed in the lack of page turn buttons and SD card slot so I'm going to get a Kindle instead."  If these are important features, why would another brand with the same lack of features be an obvious choice?

The Kindle part makes no sense. I think those folks blurting that out are just making it known that they aren't happy, and Kindle is the first big name alternative that comes to mind. I'd never go over to Amazon's ebook format.

Indeed, most of the big-name manufacturers (Kobo, B&N, Amazon) seem to be abandoning buttons. Some are also abandoning expandable storage. The problem for B&N is that, in the absense of those things that make a B&N device unique, I'm as likely to consider an alternative device now. The problem isn't that B&N did anything wrong or different. They're just not unique anymore.

While I like buttons (more below), the lack of expandable storage, and particularly, the severe lack of storage for sideloaded content is the deal killer. My little 4 GB non-expandable Kobo Mini (that I picked up for $40 to use until the new B&N release) does not distinguish between "store bought" and "sideloaded" content. There's just "storage". I have a collection of about 250 epubs on my Mini that I'd have a hard time fitting onto the NGL if it only has 512 MB for sideloaded content, and the Mini still has about 553 MB of space left. In other words, B&N shot themselves in the foot by imposing an artificial technical limitation needlessly. What's sad is that solutions for this very problem have been provided by the dev community (and roustabout here, specifically) for years.

[...] Okay, so no page turn buttons.  You can still tap the side of the screen, which does the same thing with less effort.  Why are physical buttons so important when they are actually redundant?

The buttons are nice if you read outdoors. You can use them to page through a book with your device enclosed in a waterproof bag. I primarily like buttons because you don't have to drag your finger across the screen in environments where sand or grit is likely to wind up on the screen (e.g. the beach). Without the ability to put a screen protector on the NGL (or NST/G) screen, I try to avoid touching the screen outdoors for fear of scratching it. Sand blows off well enough, but dragging it will abrade the display. I'm OK risking my $39 device, but would fret more if I'd spent $119. I've also read that people with some physical disabilities find dragging very difficult, but that they're better able to press a physical button.

Another plus for the buttons is that they autorepeat. To scroll through a long list of items (the library for example) you can just press and hold the button. 

If you want to make the case that the screen is most important, the Kindle Aura doesn't cost much more ($149), and has a capacitive screen so I don't have to worry about dust or sand getting in the IR sensor gaps, in addition to expandable storage (and lots of internal storage). If you want to make the case that cost is most important, and that $30 is critical, the NST is cheaper than the NGL ($79), and also offers expandable storage. The NGL finds itself in a weird middle ground with fewer overall features at the current price ($119).

Any positives (for me) of the nice NGL is offset by knowing that I'll have to go through contortions to manage sideloaded content. The NGL isn't all that compelling at this point. I would imagine anybody with an existing device is dealing with similar choices.

I like the NGL. The white doesn't bug me (much) since it looks sort of like paper. I can hold it one-handed, using a rubber band grip if necessary. If it turns out that they've used socketed flash memory and I can do an unauthorized replacement to expand internal storage, I might still go for one once prices come down a bit. It just doesn't gain me a whole lot today, and adds complications that make it a turn-off.

That said, if it meets your needs, then by all means, go for it. It's a very nice device. I just think B&N needs to get out of worrying only about what the average mythical "Julie" might want. That didn't work out so well last time.

keriflur
0 Kudos

Heh. You said Kindle Aura. :smileysurprised:
keriflur

Schwa wrote:

But why would people one say (paraphrased from numerous reviews) "I'm disappointed in the lack of page turn buttons and SD card slot so I'm going to get a Kindle instead."  If these are important features, why would another brand with the same lack of features be an obvious choice?

Regarding the SD card slot - yes, neither kindle nor the NGL have SD card slots.  But, similar to what Bobstro said about the Kobo Mini, the kindle only has one storage location, not two.  For me, since I have a lot of books to sideload, I'd actually have less issue fitting my books in the kindle's 1.5gbs than on the 2.5gb NGT, because the NGT only allows .5gb of sideloading space.

On previous nooks, the way to get around the limited space for external content was to add an SD card.  Hence the concern about the missing slot.

keriflur
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

I never used the buttons on my NST, I found them to hard to press one handed.  With the new NGL, I find it hard to hold one handed, especially in my right hand, but I'm guessing that has more to do with the carpel tunnel/tendonitis/arthritis in my hands, which is worse in my right hand.  I simply can't grip things like I used to.  

It may also be the lack of a ridge on the back.  This is part of the reason I'm not getting an NGT - I like the ridge.

bobstro
0 Kudos

keriflur wrote:
Heh. You said Kindle Aura. :smileysurprised:

Well... Kobo starts with a K at least. Heh.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

How about a fresh perspective here? The first thing everyone wants to do is compare the new kid to the old kids. Perfectly natural. Now let me tell you my take having come over from "the dreaded" Kindle. First off this is not my first time trying Nook. It is however, the first time I've actually felt ok with sticking with them. I had returned all previous models I've tried.  As for the page turning, I'm for whatever works the best. I've always liked the page turning buttons more simply because they worked the best. Previous Nook models however required a little more pressure than I liked and the screen sensitivity just wasn't good enough to replace it. Back it went. The original Kindle eink devices had keyboards and page turn buttons that worked well. I didn't even have to deal with a touch screen since it didn't have one. Also, the display on the NSTG just wasn't that great to me. Even the older Kindle's were significantly better (the ones without a backlight). Anyway, point here is, I came into this with no particular opinions other than I wanted a decent screen to read on. I am getting up there in age (kinda) so I need something with excellent clairity and GOOD lighting. As you get older, your eyes need more light to read. The NGL is the first eink device Nook has come out with that I really like. No, it doesn't have an SD slot and yes, the shelving is still not great although this isn't that big of a deal for me but the lighting is great and the screen clear. The device is light weight and feels good although they could have put "something" on the back to make it easier to hold one handed. It's a little slick. Oh and the screen sensitivity is spot on for turning the pages with your thumb with very little effort (so long as it doesn't squirt out of your hand) :smileytongue:  One last word, this Nook is MUCH better at keeping in sync with my HD+ (new to that as well). I brought back my NSTG for that reason as well. Just seemed way harder trying to keep them both up to speed. I spend far less time doing that now so I guess I can say I've made my Kindle to Nook transformation complete now and am pretty happy with it. At least the biggest complaints are things that can be rectified with software upgrades.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,257
Solutions: 18

If history is any indication ...

ConnieL4193 wrote:

.... At least the biggest complaints are things that can be rectified with software upgrades.

... but never will be.

Nooks: 2 HD+/16GB & 2 HD/8GB: B&N 2.2.0 (Android 4.0.4) rooted;
    2 Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted
Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 7.0": Android 4.2.2 rooted
LG G3 & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: If history is any indication ...

[ Edited ]

Nor, sadly, can some of the problems be addressed with software. It's great that sync works properly on the GlowLight, but it was also supposed to work properly on the NST I paid for.

Frequent Contributor
geertm

Schwa wrote:

The current reviews for the Nook Glowlight on the site show an interesting but disturbing trend and maybe some of y'all can help me to understand.

Question 1:

I can understand if someone is disappointed with specs on the new model.  Specifically concerning the page turn buttons and the SD card slot.  I can't tell anyone what they should and shouldn't like and it could arguably be pointed out as a step sideways (maybe backwards) for the brand.

Question 2:

Okay, so no page turn buttons.  You can still tap the side of the screen, which does the same thing with less effort.  Why are physical buttons so important when they are actually redundant?

Genuinely curious, thanks in advance for informative insight instead of flames.

Have you noticed that a lot of the people complaining about the 512MB sideloading restriction of Nook Glowlight have so many books they want to sideload (often 1500 or more) that they will not fit on the 1.25GB Kindle they say they will be buying instead?

bobstro

[ Edited ]

geertm wrote:

[...] Have you noticed that a lot of the people complaining about the 512MB sideloading restriction of Nook Glowlight have so many books they want to sideload (often 1500 or more) that they will not fit on the 1.25GB Kindle they say they will be buying instead?
In my case, I can't fit the 228 sideloaded epubs that fit on the Kobo Mini I bought as a temporary solution until the new GlowLight came out. Using my collection, I'd only be able to sideload about 147. About 574 if buying the same as B&N ebooks. Of the 228 epubs on my current eInk device, the average size is 3.48 MB. I'm not talking thousands here.
It's not the Amazon products I'm comparing it to now, but rather the Kobo lineup. I can fit roughly double the amount of sideloaded content onto a Mini that also has no removable storage. The problem is that B&N has continued to artificially split the storage up, limiting both B&N and sideloaded content. If the storage was combined, it'd be a great upgrade.
I sincerely hope B&N has a "pro" version in mind with increased storage for both B&N and sideloaded content. Otherwise, my next eInk device won't be either a Kindle or a NOOK.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716

At this point there is no compelling reason for me to purchase the NGL. My NST and NSTG are actually more useful to me than an NGL would be. The lack of page turn buttons combined with the limited sideloading space and no expandable storage are more than enough to keep me from 'upgrading'. The lack of fixes in the software just makes me wonder what B&N was thinking when developing this unit. It's slightly lighter in weight, but not as easy to grip (the form factor of the NST was big selling point for me). It's got more internal memory, but no expandable memory. It's got a clearer screen and better light (we'll see how it stands up to several months use). Considering the time spent, I'm underwhelmed. It's like a half step up rather than a full step.
http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
keriflur
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:
Have you noticed that a lot of the people complaining about the 512MB sideloading restriction of Nook Glowlight have so many books they want to sideload (often 1500 or more) that they will not fit on the 1.25GB Kindle they say they will be buying instead?

The kindle is 1.5gb for storage, not 1.25gb.  See my post above for the rest of the answer.

keriflur
0 Kudos

kamas716 wrote:
It's got a clearer screen and better light (we'll see how it stands up to several months use).

I did not find an appreciable difference in screen clarity between the NST and the NGL.  I assume that the increased resolution only makes up for the decrease in sharpness caused by the light guide.

If B&N put out a version of the NST (i.e. no light guide gumming things up), we might see some real sharpness and clarity.

Something I haven't seen anyone mention yet - the new fonts for the NGL are all san-serif.  There was only one serif font on the NGL on display in my store.  IMO this is another blow to readability.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Really? I thought there was a significant difference in screen clarity. In fact, that was one of the reasons I returned my NSTG, that and difficulties in keeping it in sync with my HD+. As a person over 40, the crispness of the characters and the lighting are huge things for me. The NSTG was "ok" but I had no hesitation at all once I seen these features on the NGL. Keep in mind that I keep my light up at 100% (another by product of age) and that may play a roll in how it appears but at that percentage, the NGL is much easier to read than the NSTG turned up to it's brightest.  Oh and it syncs much better too.

keriflur
0 Kudos

ConnieL4193 wrote:

Really? I thought there was a significant difference in screen clarity. In fact, that was one of the reasons I returned my NSTG, that and difficulties in keeping it in sync with my HD+. As a person over 40, the crispness of the characters and the lighting are huge things for me. The NSTG was "ok" but I had no hesitation at all once I seen these features on the NGL. Keep in mind that I keep my light up at 100% (another by product of age) and that may play a roll in how it appears but at that percentage, the NGL is much easier to read than the NSTG turned up to it's brightest.  Oh and it syncs much better too.

There is a big difference in screen clarity between the NSTG and the NGL, but the NSTG was significantly less sharp and less contrasty than the NST IMO.

Also, I suspect that the sync issue resolution is not due to the new device, but rather the new registration on your account.  I'd be shocked if all NGLs had perfect syncing, as sync depends much more on the network doing the syncing than on the device itself.