Reply
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
Posts: 900
Registered: ‎01-25-2011

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


Schwa wrote:

The current reviews for the Nook Glowlight on the site show an interesting but disturbing trend and maybe some of y'all can help me to understand.

 

Question 1:

I can understand if someone is disappointed with specs on the new model.  Specifically concerning the page turn buttons and the SD card slot.  I can't tell anyone what they should and shouldn't like and it could arguably be pointed out as a step sideways (maybe backwards) for the brand.

 

But why would people one say (paraphrased from numerous reviews) "I'm disappointed in the lack of page turn buttons and SD card slot so I'm going to get a Kindle instead."  If these are important features, why would another brand with the same lack of features be an obvious choice?

 

Question 2:

Okay, so no page turn buttons.  You can still tap the side of the screen, which does the same thing with less effort.  Why are physical buttons so important when they are actually redundant?

 

Genuinely curious, thanks in advance for informative insight instead of flames.

 


I can't answer question 1 for you other than to speculate that those people liked the Amazon ecosystem better but having the page turn buttons and/or SD card outweighed the ecosystem.

 

In answer to question 2, I prefer the hardware page turn buttons because I've experienced lack of response when the IR sensors are blocked or not working.  I like reading in the hot tub at night -- you flat out can't do this with just the IR sensors.  In addition, I prefer the hardware buttons to swiping the screen; they aren't redundant, the screen swipe is what's redundant (IMO).

 

In response to others, what might have been question 3, why is the SD card so important?  I prefer having my library at my fingertips rather than remembering what I loaded and what I didn't.  This includes academic and work-related papers so more than just ebooks I buy.  I like the fact that I've got them loaded on the SD card so when I have to change out the ereader (I'm on my fourth NSTG with glowhole issues), I don't have to load all the darned books again (except what gets DLed from BN).

 

4GB w/ SD card would have been a disappointingly mild but acceptable upgrade from the NST or NSTG.  4GB w/o SD card is an annoying downgrade and dealbreaker for me.  I could have rationalized loss of the physical buttons or the the feel and color of the NSTG to get the better clarity, improved lighting and lighter weight of the NGL but none of that is as important as the SD card IMO.  I am now in a quandary because of the glowholes on my NSTG -- I'm now 4/4 on getting glowholes on my NSTG but I wouldn't take an NGL even as an even trade so I don't know what to suggest to the store.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, Angel Fire East, Batman Year One, Appleseed
Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

Not sure I'm following your logic there Keriflur. My B&N account has been around for a while (years). I registered my HD+ and NSTG a little more than a month ago (same time frame). I could never seem to get those two in sync without a lot of manual manipulation. I brought back the NTSG and got an NGL the day it came out. From the beginning, it was much easier to keep in sync.  Regardless of the whys or wherefores of that, it's also a much easier device for my tired old eyes to read from.  Most of the issues on these boards are either due to the shelving or the lack of an SD slot, neither of which is a priority for me. As is the case with all devices, you have to choose what suits your needs best. It isn't always because one device is better than another, just that it does what you need better than another one does. This is also why it is kind of crazy how people get into these long drawn out arguments about which smart phone is best. It's whatever works for you. Right now, the HD+ and NGL are working just fine for me.  Cheers! :smileyvery-happy:

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,939
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

Connie, I'm glad you found a combination that works for you. I've been cheering for you as you've experimented with the NOOK ecosystem after being a long-time Kindle user. I'm glad it's working.

 

Please understand, though, that sychronization was always supposed to work. You should not have had to upgrade to a new device to get a basic feature working.

 

Also, you may not have encountered these issues yet, but as publish-to-epub becomes more common (e.g. Instapaper, wikipedia), you may need more storage in the future. For the device to ship on day one with fewer capabilities is the concern. If real-world document limits are closer to 500 for B&N content and 175 for sideloaded, a lot more people may be up against these limits sooner than they expect.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

Quite true Bobstro. Unfortunately I am one of those people who tends to upgrade frequently to that next thing that catches my eye so what I might need in the future probably won'

t matter with this device as I'll probably have moved onto something different (maybe). I admit it, I'm a tech-aholic. :smileytongue:  I've also been around long enough to appreciate when I get a device that almost perfectly suits my needs. It may not be perfect for some people but it's hard to find a device that is just right for everyone.  I had started to lose hope that I could make all this work so I'm just happy that I finally did.  I'm also one of these people who hates to have things on my device (computer, cell phone, tablet, whatever) that I don't really need there. I am SO not a pack rat. I realize that there are many people out there like yourself that have bigger needs so I get that but my only needs when it comes to a simple e-ink reader is the screen and the lighting. I never get books from other sources other than B&N so my needs are pretty simple. On the other hand, my needs when considering a tablet are far more compex but the HD+ works for me for almost everything. I also have a new computer at home for everything else.  Ithey are always trying to make that device that serves every purpose but I'm not sure we will ever get there. You just try to get it down to a precious few.  

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,767
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


ConnieL4193 wrote:

Quite true Bobstro. Unfortunately I am one of those people who tends to upgrade frequently to that next thing that catches my eye so what I might need in the future probably won'

t matter with this device as I'll probably have moved onto something different (maybe). I admit it, I'm a tech-aholic. :smileytongue:  I've also been around long enough to appreciate when I get a device that almost perfectly suits my needs. It may not be perfect for some people but it's hard to find a device that is just right for everyone.  I had started to lose hope that I could make all this work so I'm just happy that I finally did.  I'm also one of these people who hates to have things on my device (computer, cell phone, tablet, whatever) that I don't really need there. I am SO not a pack rat. I realize that there are many people out there like yourself that have bigger needs so I get that but my only needs when it comes to a simple e-ink reader is the screen and the lighting. I never get books from other sources other than B&N so my needs are pretty simple. On the other hand, my needs when considering a tablet are far more compex but the HD+ works for me for almost everything. I also have a new computer at home for everything else.  Ithey are always trying to make that device that serves every purpose but I'm not sure we will ever get there. You just try to get it down to a precious few.  


Alright, have to ask - did you read every single book on your kindle before buying your nook?  Do you have any books sitting over there that you wish were on your new device?

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

[ Edited ]

NO, I'll admit I haven't read every single book but if I really want to, I can read them on my smart phone or computer. Guess it isn't as big of a deal to me (so I'm weird).  Shoot, I could even read them on my Nook with the Kindle app.  Don't let the little things get you down.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,939
Registered: ‎01-01-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

[ Edited ]

ConnieL4193 wrote:

NO, I'll admit I haven't read every single book but if I really want to, I can read them on my smart phone or computer. Guess it isn't as big of a deal to me (so I'm weird).  Shoot, I could even read them on my Nook with the Kindle app. 

 

The funny thing is, I don't consider myself a voracious ebook consumer. I've got a collection of stuff I want to have with me for odd moments I get caught away from network access. For my eink device, that's about 250 various epubs (though growing) -- about 800 MB) on my "want to read" list, or material I want to catch up on while relaxing. I may want access at the beach, on a plane, or any number of other locations where cloud access is not a given. I'd like to just load up my list from Calibre and not worry about shuffling things around. I'm really surprised that the NGL doesn't measure up. There are other things I'm not wild about with it, but inability to have ebooks handy is something I can't get past.

 

For me, it's a question of luggage space, wifi or battery life. I also keep in mind that not everybody has a full-sized tablet, smartphone or computer, nor a full-time Internet connection with which to access the cloud. For some people, the NGL may be their one and only computing device. I've read about owners that mail microSD cards loaded with books to home-bound relatives. Not possible now. Nor can they load it up as much before gifting a device to that relative.

 

The bar to access has now been raised to include Internet access for the cloud storage of your full library, plus a computer to deal with ADE for library books. (unless THAT has been fixed?) "Yes, there may be millions of free ebooks out there, but you can't get access to them, grandma, because you're poor!"

 

 

Don't let the little things get you down.

 

I seriously don't. In the vast majority of cases, I'm posting here imagining a conversation held in normal indoor speaking voices, not yelling or screaming. I wouldn't participate if I thought it was just idle complaints. I can turn on cable news for that!

 

As often as not, discussions here lead to some sort of satisfactory outcome. I just don't see this one winding up with "buy a NGL".

 

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,767
Registered: ‎01-05-2010

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


bobstro wrote:

As often as not, discussions here lead to some sort of satisfactory outcome. I just don't see this one winding up with "buy a NGL".

 


No, it won't, but if we have decent points and logical reasoning, there is that chance that someone will care, and we'll see partitioning options or the like (it's been done before), or the next device will have more space or a card slot.

 

I do agree with MG's statements that they're listening (though I don't agree that they're making good decisions about what they're hearing).

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

Lets also try and remember that everyone has their own set of priorities. All of the so-called "negative" comments brought up here wouldn't even matter to another reader like me. If I'm reading all of these comments, I'm thinking "great, this sounds fine to me because none of the stuff people are compalining about are a factor for me". See you have to realize that not everyone cares about the same things. I bought a NGL and have no complaints at all but only because my priorities and needs are not the same as other people's.

 

As for the arguing and carrying on back and forth, I get more than enough of that at work and watching CNN all day long (tv's at work tuned to that station exclusively).  Give me strength.  :smileyfrustrated:

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,767
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


ConnieL4193 wrote:

Lets also try and remember that everyone has their own set of priorities. All of the so-called "negative" comments brought up here wouldn't even matter to another reader like me. If I'm reading all of these comments, I'm thinking "great, this sounds fine to me because none of the stuff people are compalining about are a factor for me". See you have to realize that not everyone cares about the same things. I bought a NGL and have no complaints at all but only because my priorities and needs are not the same as other people's.

 

As for the arguing and carrying on back and forth, I get more than enough of that at work and watching CNN all day long (tv's at work tuned to that station exclusively).  Give me strength.  :smileyfrustrated:


You seem to be extremely fond of repeatedly telling us what doesn't matter to you.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
Posts: 175
Registered: ‎09-17-2013

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

Apparently being civilized doesn't work any more so here's another thing that doesn't matter to me Keriflur - you

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,767
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


ConnieL4193 wrote:

Apparently being civilized doesn't work any more so here's another thing that doesn't matter to me Keriflur - you


Woohoo!  or, Whatever!

 

If you don't want to be part of the discussion, then don't, but telling others that what they're talking about is irrelevant to you is, well, irrelevant to the discussion.  No one is making you read this thread, yet you continue to do so, and continue to complain about what's being posted.  That's on you.

 

As I said above, I agree with MG that B&N is listening, even if I don't think they're making the best decisions.  If some of us don't like something, we have a right to talk about it.  This isn't the kindle boards, where frank discussion is untolerated.  We talk about things here, we even disagree on a regular basis.  If that offends you, don't read the controversial threads.  But don't go around effectively telling others to shut up just because you don't see the issue as relevant TO YOU, as these boards are for everyone, even the folks who care about things you don't.

Wordsmith
Tim40744
Posts: 536
Registered: ‎07-07-2010

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


keriflur wrote:

ConnieL4193 wrote:

Apparently being civilized doesn't work any more so here's another thing that doesn't matter to me Keriflur - you


Woohoo!  or, Whatever!

 

If you don't want to be part of the discussion, then don't, but telling others that what they're talking about is irrelevant to you is, well, irrelevant to the discussion.  No one is making you read this thread, yet you continue to do so, and continue to complain about what's being posted.  That's on you.

 

As I said above, I agree with MG that B&N is listening, even if I don't think they're making the best decisions.  If some of us don't like something, we have a right to talk about it.  This isn't the kindle boards, where frank discussion is untolerated.  We talk about things here, we even disagree on a regular basis.  If that offends you, don't read the controversial threads.  But don't go around effectively telling others to shut up just because you don't see the issue as relevant TO YOU, as these boards are for everyone, even the folks who care about things you don't.


At the risk of interrupting, I'd like to say that I enjoy the "back and forth" of the conversation. If it ever gets boring, I can always "change channels." There's a fairly well known "xkcd" that fits:

 

duty_calls.png

 

Mousing over the image, you find the additional banter:

"What do you want me to do? LEAVE? Then they'll keep being wrong!"

Marvelous. :smileytongue:

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
Posts: 3,939
Registered: ‎01-01-2012

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

xkcd tends to be brilliant!

flyingtoastr
Posts: 3,041
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,975
Registered: ‎11-11-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

I can never decide if I love XKCD or The Oatmeal more.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,767
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

I'm rather fond of Hyperbole and a Half, though I don't think she's updating regularly anymore.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
Posts: 1,448
Registered: ‎06-07-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


keriflur wrote:

I'm rather fond of Hyperbole and a Half, though I don't think she's updating regularly anymore.


 

She may have been busy working out the details of the book she just released.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
Posts: 6,767
Registered: ‎01-05-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews


Mercury_Glitch wrote:

keriflur wrote:

I'm rather fond of Hyperbole and a Half, though I don't think she's updating regularly anymore.


 

She may have been busy working out the details of the book she just released.


She was dealing with personal issues (hence the posts on depression), and then writing the unblogged content for the book, and now I'm guessing all her time is in promotion.  Hopefully she'll be back to posting soon. :smileyhappy:  Her stuff is great.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
Posts: 3,641
Registered: ‎03-31-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about NGL reviews

There is a great xkcd / what if set of android apps, they let you keep all of both on your device for easy reference and to show people wthout needing to fire up a browser.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.