Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Curious about your Device progressions?

[ Edited ]

Was wondering about your device progress?

How fast? How many devices?

Started with orginal 1st gen Nook Dec. 2009 after about 8 months sold off on craigslist not using.

Went with the Nook Color in Nov. of 2010 and again after about 6 months sold not using. When it had the big price drop came back and bouth 2nd Nook Color Dec. 2012. Rolled my own CM7 SD card and recently rolled JellyBean 10.2.2 and still using the device.

All 3 devices never an issue with device or cables me lucky I guess.

But I notice that many want not need a new device every year?

I find myself desiring new devices all the time. But after applying thought on real world use and needs.Many times the cost justification isn't there for me. And use the cash for other actual needs in my life.

So how does your device progression play out?

How much do you actually use the device?

Just curious and in no way trying to take a stance on any precieved issues. Just wondering how many are still using the original 1st edition or still using a Nook Color?

Or finally found a device that has pretty much filled their needs and been going strong last few years?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

Re: Curious about your Device progressions?

Let's see ....

Summer 2011 - Bought a Nook Color because it was the only device of its kind at the time - at least the only one I was aware of. I was looking for something I could read books on, but the eink readers didn't appeal to me. A 7" tablet did.

Thanksgiving 2011 - Bought a Nook Tablet. I'd been using a dual-boot SD card on my Color so I could read the few Kindle books on it that I had bought before I bought the device (had read those books on a laptop and my smartphone before that). When the Tablet was first released, you could trigger a menu setting on it that enabled installation of 3rd party apps on the device. Once they were installed, you could use them in the native OS instead of having to have them on a separate one. I thought it would be nice to have all my apps in one place (so to speak) so I went ahead and bought one. About a month later, that ability was disabled.

Fall 2012 - Bought an original Kindle Fire. Had had a falling out with B&N a couple of months earlier. Amazon announced that they would be updating their Fires; and since I wasn't sure I would like the new interface, I went ahead and bought one of the originals. (I had already decided that a Fire or a Nexus 7 would probably be my next device. I was not going to buy another Nook ever again.)

May 2013 - Bought 2 HD+s. My husband and I had been wanting tablets with a slightly larger screen for awhile so when B&N added the Google Play Store to their HDs and dropped the prices signigicantly, I decided to go for it. I treated myself to one for Mother's Day and my husband to one for Father's Day. Never say never.

I gave the Nook Color first to my husband and then to my best friend along with my Nook Tablet. Still have the Fire and the HD+ - use both of them on a regular basis.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I bought the original nook when it first came out and use it daily. If a new ereader-only would come out I probably would upgrade at ths point. I bought an iPad last year and basically use that daily as my computer is not doing well. I've only read one book on it as it is too heavy to use to read comfortably.
Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Christmas 2011 got 2 Nook colors-turned one in for credit. Christmas 2012 got an HD+. MY neighbor has the same, we traded our colors so we can read each others books with out going thru the lend-me. We belong to 2 book clubs, she buys for one and I buy for the other. Have about 400 books and lots of games.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Gee, my story is so vanilla compared to some others.  When my eyesight failed to the point that even large-print books became a problem for me, I bought  the N1E in December 2010.  I  liked it well enough until I saw a firend's NST in the summer of 2011.  The green-eyed monster ensured that I bought that one too.  I love it, especially inside a padded cover.  This summer I finally got tired of carting a reading light around with me on my visits to doctors' offices (at my age, something of a lifestyle), so I bought the NSTG.

I've been extraordinarily luck with my Nooks.  Kncok on head, there've been no--xero, zilch, nil--problems with any of them.  The N1E is still going strong at another friend's house, and both NST's are in daily use at mine.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

NST shortly after they were released.  NSTG the day they were in my B&N. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

N1E ordered just after I got to see one in person, November 2009.  It arrived in January 2010.  Ordered an NST on announcement day, and got it June 2 or 3, 2011.

I *would* have ordered a high-res version of the NST if one had been announced this past Spring, but, alas, no.  I'm not bitter about that or anything.

I also own a N7 and iPad.  I did not buy any of the color nooks because I prefer to read on eink and wanted a more jack-of-all-trades tablet for non-reading pursuits.

Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

In August 2010, I got the N1E for my birthday. I saw one in person and fell in love. I did tons of research and then told my husband I wanted one for my birthday. In September 2011, I got the NST. It was another birthday gift, this time from my mom. I love that reader. I gave the N1E to the kids, and it is still in constant use by all three of them. This Mother's Day, I picked up the HD. As much as I love my NST, I also love the HD, though for different reasons. I still prefer reading novels on the NST. I use the HD for cook books, knitting books, and sometimes magazines. I really really like it for all my pdf knitting patterns. I also use it for all my email now. It's easier than turning on my laptop everytime I want to check my email or Facebook. I wouldn't have bought it if they hadn't opened it up to Google Play, though.

I've never had any problems with any of my nooks. The N1E is very well made. It's been dropped numerous times (mostly by me) and still keeps going. 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Thanks and fun to read other's days with their nooks.

Stretching out the Nook Color.

And trying to hold off for next gen of the Nook Glow.

As found the tablet great and all. Majority of the time just want to read.

And the Nook Color gets heavy laying in bed reading at night.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Correspondent
musicmama2010
0 Kudos

Christmas 2010, after lots of research and a couple of high-end 10 inch tab purchse/returns, got a Nook Color for Christmas.  Waited and waited for the app store to be released and ultimately bought an Android card off of ebay when my own efforts to make one failed.   Love the ability to read library books and watch movies and read Word/Powerpoint on it for work.

Spring 2011, purchased a refurbished N1E from ebay/B&N for daughter to use.  She still prefers it for just plain reading.

Spring 2011, purchased a 4g Motorola Xyboard because it had better wireless plus the 4g.  Also faster and 8.2 inch screen and 32gb memory and bluetooth for easier keyboard.  Still reading on my NC, but not quite as much.

Christmas 2011, convince niece to purchase refurbished Nook Color for her daughter and make her an Android card now that methods have improved.  Best gift ever.

Fall 2012, pass the NC to daughter along with a refreshed Android card so she can stream Netflix at college.  

Christmas 2012, convince sister that she wants an HD+ for the size.  Order her an N2A card to play her phone games.

Spring2013, get myself an HD+ 32gb for the improved experience.  Typing this on it.  Still use my Xyboard when there's no wifi available, but it's not my go-to device any more.

Inspired Contributor
MrBanballow
0 Kudos

nook first edition

nook color

nook simple touch

nook HD+

Currently reading: The Complete Sherlock Holmes Vol 1, Grimm's Fairy Tales
GDJ
Inspired Contributor
GDJ
0 Kudos

I bought a Nook color 2 years ago.  I use it almost daily.