Contributor
bookmoth
0 Kudos

Customer service runaround

The short story:  Is there a warranty on replacement USB cables?  How does that work?

The roman-fleuve:  I have to replace my USB cable, which is broken at the mini-jack end -- it no longer charges my NC nor will it sideload books.  I've had my NC since Christmas 2010, so it's out of warranty.  At my local B&N store, I was told USB cable failure is a common problem and I could get a free replacement by calling Customer Support.  I did, and was told although many people have had problems with their cables, because my NC is out of warranty I'd have to buy a replacement cable, which do not come with a warranty; also, the store clerk I spoke with is badly trained and I shouldn't be so rough with my things. I said I have plenty of USB devices, some over 10 years old, and never have had a cable break before.  I then spoke with a manager, who denied the cables have been problematic and insisted replacement cables are covered by warranty, one year from the date of purchase with receipt.  The B&N website does not mention a warranty on replacement cables.

At this point I don't know who to believe.  All I know is I'm going to have to go back to the store and buy a replacement cable.  Without it, I can't recharge my NC -- it's basically an expensive paperweight.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

Re: Customer service runaround

1) The cable should have the same warranty as the original device.

2) Under warranty, you can get a replacement cable by mail through the customer service line.  Outside of the warranty they are under no obligation to provide you with a replacement.

3) Under warranty your local store cannot replace the cable with sale stock, but some stores have been known to replace cables if they have extras lying around from return/exchange device stock.  Outside of warranty you may still run across a nice store manager.  In both cases your mileage will vary.

4) You can purchase a cable by itself for $14.95, or the cable/adapter for $24.95.  A small price compared to replacing a whole device that is outside of warranty.

Hope this helps...

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

bookmoth wrote:

...  Without it, I can't recharge my NC -- it's basically an expensive paperweight.

If you have a lot of USB devices, you likely have a cable with a micro USB connector, in which case you can use that cable and its charger, or connect the cable to your PC/laptop, to slow-charge your Nook.  No need to have it be a paperweight.

Contributor
bookmoth
0 Kudos

Update:  I went to my local B&N, bought a replacement cable, and am operational again.  Happiness!

The clerk who helped me today was friendly, knowledgeable, and efficient.  He said there is no warranty on replacement cables, which is consistent with the website (although different from what the Customer Service manager said over the phone last night).

@Schwa:  Your list doesn't address my questions, which are about replacement cables.

@petesnook:  I do indeed have a number of USB gadgets.  Alas, they all seem to have proprietary micro-jacks = a shocking number of unique cables.  #firstworldproblems

Frequent Contributor
eaglewomanEP
0 Kudos

Last week the cable broke on my NOOK color, had to ge the one out of the car for the car charger, then it broke too(I had the 1st one for over a year) Went to B&Nto buy one, they were out, order 2 so I could have some on hand. The guy tried to find an old one in the back, couldn't find it, but found one the next town over for $14.95. Got it. He told me to go home and call CS and tell them my cord broke and the store didn't have one, they would send me a free one. He said to call right away, because they are going to stop giving the free ones away. It came in the mail yesterday.

Distinguished Scribe
Schwa
0 Kudos

bookmoth wrote:

@Schwa:  Your list doesn't address my questions, which are about replacement cables.

That's the only thing I addressed in my list...   But I'm glad you are up and running again  :smileyhappy:

Contributor
bookmoth
0 Kudos

@Schwa:  To be punctiliously accurate, my questions in the OP are about the warranty, if any, on replacement cables.  Your multi-point reply mentions the warranty on the original cable and general information about replacement cables, but does not address my specific questions.  Then again, when I've gotten on-topic responses from B&N staff, they have conflicted.

Frequent Contributor
Irishelf
0 Kudos

My charger was falling apart where it plugs into the NC. Called CS and they told me they would send me a new one. Waited a week and still didn't get one. Called CS back and they told me they hadn't sent one out, but would now do so. I'll believe it when it actually arrives. Either CS sucks or they are full of you know what and don't send the cables they promise to send, even if the NC is still under warranty. Does anyone know of any chargers you can purchase in any store (I don't live anywhere near a B&N, do not drive, and there is no public transportation I can use to get to B&N) that can plug into the nook? I can't even use my computer to charge the NC as the part that's broken is the one that plugs into the Nook!
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Irishelf wrote:
My charger was falling apart where it plugs into the NC. Called CS and they told me they would send me a new one. Waited a week and still didn't get one. Called CS back and they told me they hadn't sent one out, but would now do so. I'll believe it when it actually arrives. Either CS sucks or they are full of you know what and don't send the cables they promise to send, even if the NC is still under warranty. Does anyone know of any chargers you can purchase in any store (I don't live anywhere near a B&N, do not drive, and there is no public transportation I can use to get to B&N) that can plug into the nook? I can't even use my computer to charge the NC as the part that's broken is the one that plugs into the Nook!

You can use any micro-usb cable hooked to the computer. But charging will be slow from a 50% charge takes 5-6 hrs. From 20% may take 10-12hrs.

The only difference of a nook cable and standard usb mini cable. Is the Nook cable has addtional 2 pins for AC adapter to run power thru for quicker charging. On the computer they are ignored and not connected.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/