Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

Re: CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Builds for Nook Color [OFFICIAL BUILDS]

Thanks! I'll give it a try if I get annoyed enough to buy it.

I'm REALLY cheap!
Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

bobstro
0 Kudos

Flash on CM10?

I realize Adobe Flash is (sometime vehemently) not supported on CM10, but I'm wondering if it works at all for anybody on CM10? I've downloade Flash 11.1 as an APK and have it installed, but on all my flash-capable browsers, it just hangs when attempting any playback. I had understood that sideloaded flash would work. Anybody having any luck?

The nightlies are getting better and better in terms of speed. Browsing with Firefox is pretty good right now. Flash is the only thing I'm really missing from CM7.2. Sadly, a few web sites still insist on it.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Re: Flash on CM10?

As of the 11/29 nightly, even Chrome is working reasonably well. Lots of improvement over the course of a single week. I'm impressed with the CM10 (as always).

New User
Stoic9
0 Kudos

Just installed it.  Now what do we do?  That is, what fun things are recommended to us newbs to have some fun with it?  Or is there a guide for the features of C10?  

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Stoic9 wrote:

Just installed it.  Now what do we do?  That is, what fun things are recommended to us newbs to have some fun with it?  Or is there a guide for the features of C10?  

Well, you've got most anything in the Google Play Store at your disposal. Personally, my first priority was installing and configuring Mantano Ebook Reader Premium to enjoy all my epub (incl. ADE & B&N DRM-encumbered books) and PDFs working in a unified interface with full organization and metadata features, regardless of source.

You can also enjoy having a supported software ecosystem on a device that has now officially been discontinued by B&N, complete with current OS updates and a dedicated developer community bringing you all of these benefits at no cost. Although CM10 is still very much under development, the CM team has a very good reputation for quality. You can expect most issues to be ironed out quickly.

Other than that, it really depends what your interests are.

Frequent Contributor
meteorrock
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I would not recommend using flash, some are trying to use the now outdated flash to work on Jellybean by using supported web browsers, like firefox beta.  NO, its not supported by CM 10. The developers did not want to corrupt that code ported over for Android 4.1 Jellybean for its function, and now that flash is no longer updated against exploits from Adobe itself, you will risk your nook color or any other device using the outdated flash player to find security exploits from hackers over your wifi connection wanting information.

Public wifi hotspots not secured with a firewall on their routers are very suspectable for this exploitation of your nook color. 

You can opt into using HTML 5 for youtube for example. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

Unfortunately, there are a few web sites that still insist on using Flash. It's outside my control. I realize it's not *supported*. I'm just wondering if anybody has had any luck getting it to work.
Contributor
llzingaro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

But Nook app is so so so so so slow opening a downloaded book. No Netflix whats up can this be fixed? Great OS looks good other than these two glitches. If Nook app doesn't work faster my wife will stay with Nook OS reading her books quickly and easily  trumps everything.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

There's a modified version of the Netflix app over on XDA that works on CM10. As far as the reader, I don't use the NOOK app. You could try another (I recommend Mantano Premium). Without a bit of tweaking, I still find the CM10 nightlies a bit sluggish, though they're improving. If you just want a snappy alternative OS, you might want to stick with CM7.2.

Contributor
llzingaro
0 Kudos

Yes 7 is faster but 10 looks better and email is better  maybe over time it will speed up. The Nook reader is really a disappointment. Will check out the Netflix link in xda. Right now I am testing 10 haveing some fun doing it and have to switch back to Nook OS for my wife because reader is so slow in 10. Imac bluetooth keyboard pairs with 10 but doesn't type or do anything I can see? thanks for the info on Netflix I will try it out.

bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

llzingaro wrote:

Yes 7 is faster but 10 looks better and email is better  maybe over time it will speed up.

10 is definitely getting faster, but the NC only has so much hardware to work with. So far as email, you can load up a 3rd party program to get whatever features you need. Enhanced Email remains my overall favorite due to Exchange integration with the native Android apps.

The Nook reader is really a disappointment. 

Before you give up, give Mantano a try. Of course, the free version has ads, but there are ad-free versions for a few bucks that are well worth the purchase price. Mantano can handle B&N's DRM. It'll prompt you for your name and CC# once when you open the 1st book, but otherwise handle B&N books just fine. I use the B&N app for browsing and purchasing, then read in Mantano. I find the organizational features far superior. Performance is fine on CM10. Just spend a few minutes setting it up and your wife should enjoy it.

Web browsing seems to be where NC 10 performance is the worst. I'm trying out the Dolphin Beta browser, and it's pretty good. Firefox is also pretty decent, though definitely slower on CM10.

Contributor
llzingaro
0 Kudos

Mantano keeps asking for user name and password I have tried everything from my adobe account to gmail and nothing works?
bobstro
0 Kudos

Is that when opening a B&N book? Try your name and CC# as listed on your account.
New User
luckymoi
0 Kudos

A thousand thanks for you post, I have managed to buy an SD mobilty kit and use the 16GB u-SD card to run with 4.1.2 but am stuck there.

After booting up with the new level of 4.1.2 I took down the NC and moved the u-SD card back to the PC and copied "not so full of bugs.zip" to the u-SD card.

I then used thar in the NC with the Cyanomod Universal loader in recovery mode.

I was able to see notsofullofbugs (hoping it is 4.2 not 4.1.2) going through extraction, so far so good.

It rolls off the screen so fast I cannot tell if the process went exactly as required but I suspect not.

After it completes boot up I have no apps and the level is still 4.2.1 build JZO54K

I've read thru the XD forum but am lost about what to do next.

Clearly a Newbie here, help would be fabulous.

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

My CM10.1 B1 (installed on emmc) shows Android 4.2.2, build JDQ39.

Can't help you with the SD card install, sorry, I've been using emmc since CM7.