Frequent Contributor
meteorrock

CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Builds for Nook Color [OFFICIAL BUILDS]

Check out this thread here everyone! http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1941247

This is the newest OFFICIAL cyanogenmod Jellybean nightly builds for the nook color! Wow......... this is exciting news. These nightlies are now ""OFFICAL"" cyanogenmod builds that will help strengthen the code and eliminate more minor bugs that will build the way to an ""OFFICAL"" STABLE Android 4.2 Jellybean cyanogenmod build for all of the nook color users using aftermarket software on a rooted nook color.

What does this mean? It means WE won! With all of the help of the developers up in that thread here http://forum.xda-dev...d.php?t=1941247 Start downloading those nightlies!!! Check it out and start flashing those nightlies and help out with your logcats for eliminating those slight bugs for the rest of the users!!

Remember to submit your bug reports along with your logcat reports to the issue tracker for us, guys Here is the link. http://code.google.c...mod/issues/list

We are now on the path to getting this up and stable and having an official build for the rest of us. Remember to thank the developers in the link I gave above.

Enjoy :smileyhappy: 

Inspired Contributor
jimmy1
0 Kudos

Re: CyanogenMod 10 Nightly Builds for Nook Color [OFFICIAL BUILDS]

Great work! I have been using this since the first posting on XDA. It has gone from very buggy to very stable in short time. This is a really nice daily driver. Go ahead, give it a shot.
You laugh at me because I am different, I laugh at you because you are all the same.

Running MIUI 2.4.6
Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

What is this? I bought my grandchildren nook color for christmas last year and thinking of getting them N2A cards. Which are the best ones?

Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61
0 Kudos

CM 10 w/ dual boot on emmc with Barnes & Noble stock 1.4.3 rooted with ManualNooter, the best if you want both. Then you can reserve your uSD card for your data

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Frequent Contributor
trophy57
0 Kudos

where would i get this

Frequent Contributor
meteorrock
0 Kudos

You can get those prebuilt cards through cyanogenmod at the nook color forums. However I would suggest looking into building your own cyanogenmod builds on the card. To update you will have to have some knowledge of how android works. Or you will never be able to update to the latest android build on your card after you have bought the latest card with cyanogenmod on it.

You can check out this link here for help. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/forum/222-barnes-noble-nook-color/

We have women modders that have built cyanogenmod on the card at this link here and we are proud of that fact. Here is a link of one women I have helped along with youtube videos you can follow along with on rooting your nook and putting cyanogenmod on the card. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/55338-new-to-nook/

To get a prebuilt card, you can search though google. I believe the latest Jellybean builds are not up and ready yet on the prebuilt cards as Android Jellybean is still in development, alas at the last stages. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Hope that helps you. :smileyhappy: 

Contributor
Doctordeere
0 Kudos

This is good stuff. The developers deserve hearty thanks from the entire NC community.

CM9 almost caused me to abandon CM altogether and return to the stock rom.

I've used CM since 7.0 and I have been tinkering with CM10 since the 'unofficial' Beta3.

Even as buggy as the B3 and B4 were, they still performed far better than any of the 'unofficial' CM9 builds ever dreamed of.  CM10 B5 worked pretty dang good, and the official nightlies work super.

I have a stock emmc and boot CM off uSD.

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

Thanks for the update, 'rock. I've found CM7.2 to be so stable, I'd more-or-less lost interest in the newer builds. Your post piqued my interest, and indeed, it looks like CM10 is in pretty good shape. I've flashed it to eMMC on my NC and will probably update the rest of the family NCs over Thanksgiving.

Nice to see a device deemed "obsolescent" by the manufacturer being kept up to date and useful by a dedicated development community. I need to go make another donation to the CyanogenMod crew that makes this all possible!

Frequent Contributor
meteorrock
0 Kudos

Thanks bob. :smileyhappy: Jellybean CM10 is allot more stable right now than the CM9 builds ever were. With nightlies being built on the large mainframe computers cyanogenmod has, since the nightlies are now "official" it will help strenthen that code and eliminate bugs. Each nightly will get better.

Hopefully by Christmas CM 10 will be ready for a release candidate. 

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm finding CM 10 a bit slow on my single core NC. It's nice to run Chrome, but I'm not sure the NC is really up to it. For some reason, ALL the Web browsers perform badly. I'm wondering if some of the underlying code assumes at least dual-core processors, as the same apps are smooth on my Samsung. Still, CM 10 is much closer than I'd have expected so soon. Based on the CM team's prior work, I expect it'll be up to "OK for Mom" level soon.
Contributor
Doctordeere
0 Kudos

Did you flash CM10 to emmc or are you running from uSD?

I was also having issues with sluggish performance running from uSD. Was. Not any more.

If you're running from the card, please have a look at this thread...

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1005633

It's a rather long thread, but you'll discover that using the right uSD card makes all the difference in the world. They suggest a program download to test random write speed of the cards (which is the spec that seems to matter most in running CM from a card). 

bobstro
0 Kudos

I'm running off eMMC exclusively. My NC went off warranty a LONG time ago. I'm tracking the posts at XDA, and this seems common. The latest 11/21 nightly was a big improvement, so I'm expecting it to improve quickly. I was just wondering if others here are noticing the poor browser experience.
Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
I'm running off eMMC exclusively. My NC went off warranty a LONG time ago. I'm tracking the posts at XDA, and this seems common. The latest 11/21 nightly was a big improvement, so I'm expecting it to improve quickly. I was just wondering if others here are noticing the poor browser experience.

Ditto. I've tried to browse on CM10 on a couple of different occasions with older nightlies: stock, Chrome, and Dolphin were all basically unusable. I'm hoping it's ironed out before Xmas so I can pass on the NC w/ CM10. I just pulled the trigger a couple days ago on a Nook HD+ and got it rooted with Unknown Sources enabled and Google Apps (including the Play Store) installed, so I'll be setting up the NC for my sister.

Contributor
Doctordeere
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:
... I was just wondering if others here are noticing the poor browser experience.

Just out of curiosity, with which nightly did that start? I'm still running the 18th (I've had the flu bug pretty bad and haven't felt like tinkering too much) and stock, FF & Dolphin run fine. Chrome was a bit laggy though.

Frequent Contributor
meteorrock
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Yeah but for some we can not afford a pricey tablet. Some around the world just being able to afford just the nook color will set them back a months wage.

Students too can not afford more than one device at a time. You can scrub code to look for any lines that utilize any dual processor options just by using a tool. Apps also must be rewritten to utilize a dual processors capability. Only your high graphic games use it on the playstore. As for the UI front, dual processing is overkill for badly written code.

My browser experience with mods are buttery smooth, I would wager money it would beat your other device with a benchtest. Want a go at it lol.?  Check my link here for the mods I use at cyanogenmod to beat high end tablets on benchtests. http://forum.cyanogenmod.org/topic/61744-cm10-discussion-of-nightlies/

Everyone at school wants my nook color just for how I have modded it. They try to steal it and get upset because their ipad minis will not benchtest against it. Got it on a lanyard through the loop just to keep other students from stealing it. :smileyhappy: 

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Nah Meterrock just need to get the Taser App.

If they grab it the app does a fingerprint scan verification.

If fail sends out a taser charge thru the device rendering them unconscious:smileytongue:

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
bobstro
0 Kudos

Chrome remains unusable, but Firefox is usable on later nightlies. I wouldn't foist CM10 on a non-techie yet, but I'm sticking with it on my NC. Everything else seems to be working well. If past history is an indication, the CM team will get performance up soon.
Frequent Contributor
meteorrock
0 Kudos

Hey <bob>

I up flashed to CM 10 11-24. Opera is working for me. With those mainframe computers the nightlies are being built on with it  straighting out the algorithms between the linux kernel and the Java framework on that build for the nook color it will work out for you :smileyhappy: 

That Chrome browser was a tad laggy for me also, if you check the bit size on that app its downloading at a 56 MB. Now that app could be optimized to work better on a dual layer processor, since it was coded up by the Google team itself. I feel these build will work better with that app when it goes stable. 

Frequent Contributor
stolenmoment
0 Kudos

I've been running CM10 since the alpha, and I agree that browsers all perform badly, I suspect that they're memory hogs; their job pretty much requires them to be. Chrome functions OK, but intolerably slowly. I use Opera in special circumstances because I have weird proxy issues (I proxy through ConnectBot to get into work, not to escape a closed net). I use stock Browser mostly, and it's OK. Better since I turned off the slow-to-load google default homepage.

Chrome is blazing fast on my son's Nexus 7. A page that took about 45 seconds to load on my NC loaded without perceptible delay. Perhaps there's something to that multiprocessor idea...
Frequent Contributor
rdut
0 Kudos

I'm running CM10 nightlys and Xscope EX browser seems to run very well,