Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Catalyst: DVD to NC program update 4.0.2.2

:smileyhappy:

for the profile you are using that is definately fast. You should be getting better speeds using the NOOKcolor profile though. (I'm getting 2.4x on a dual-core laptop using the NC profile) Hyper-threading does help with conversions, but real cores work better.

Have a look at this (old) video of DVD Cat 3 running on a Dual-Quad-Core-Xeon system (!!!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CQDXAiT0Mus

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

That is fast!  I have a quad core hyperthreaded xeon ProE station at work.

defenetly getting it.  Did a great job archiving MASH episodes to HD,  Great product, every other program I have tried to convert DVD to PC file, Public domain or premiun, has never worked right. 

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Mash :smileyhappy:

Thats next on my list. I'm almost done with watching Hogans Heroes.

The owner of the dualquadxeon system build the machine for Flightsims, and never seen his system kick into full power. He was worried his fans were not working, until he fired up dvdcat. Now he has the thing sound like a Boeing :smileyhappy:

For the record, you don't need a super-fast system to convert movies for your NOOK. DVD Catalyst uses whatever power your computer can offer, so the faster the computer, the faster the conversions. On most recent computers and laptops (except netbooks, because those are slow to begin with), you will still be able to convert your movies faster than that it takes to watch them, but if you are lucky enough to have a nice dual/quad-core (or more) system, DVD Cat will be able to utilize its power to convert (a lot) faster.

I am using a 4 year old Dell laptop with a dual-core 2Ghz processor, and can convert a 2 hour movie in about 45-50 minutes. I am anxiously awaiting for the new Sandy Bridge systems to be re-released, because I am due for an upgrade. My poor Dell has been worked to the max with all these years of converting movies. When I was working in a computer store before I started software development, I didn't have a good opinion about Dell, always coming in for repairs just weeks after the waranty expired, but this one (Inspiron E1705) hasn't failed me yet.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

dvdcatalyst wrote:
...I didn't have a good opinion about Dell, always coming in for repairs just weeks after the waranty expired, but this one (Inspiron E1705) hasn't failed me yet....

Tell me about it, the reason I'm using a new Asus now is because my Dell laptop fritzed the MB nine days after the warranty ran out! :smileysurprised:

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

Thats how I've seen most of them, but for some reason the one I have now greatly surpassed my expectations, especially the torture I put it through :smileyhappy:

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Get this: I bought an extended warranty, and that was for 3 years! Can't complain really, if the blamed thing had quit the day before the warranty ran out I'd still be on an old laptop instead of the jewel I have now. :smileyvery-happy:

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

True. I kinda gave up on extended waranties though. I seem to have pretty good luck with electronics for some reason. I am grateful I got it on a washer and dryer though.

With everyone here boosting about ther 5x (and higher) conversion speeds with dvdcat, I've been looking for a new laptop myself, but I'm forced to wait a little. I've seen a few reviews of ones with a 2820QM processor, and decided that that would be my main requirement. Unfortunately due to the recall on the mainboard chips on these, its going to be another month yet.

I hate waiting :smileysad:

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

I bought my computer and I got the extended warrantee but one month later when I got my kids computer, I did not.  It died the next day but when I took it back they voided the warrantee because a single bug had found its way into the computer.

So the lesson learned is, clean the computer before taking it in.

I bought an expensive PDA (Palm) once years ago with extended warrantee but it died within the regular warrantee and the replacment was not covered by the extended warrantee.

Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

That 3 yr extended warranty I bought was the exception to the rule, it was basically free. A rare promo not only offered a discount on the warranty, it gave me credit for accessories that I was going to buy anyway. So it came out a wash.

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

Okay, bought the program yesterday (Good work BTW, from an old DOS trained programmer) and gave it a workout today and have a few things to tell you about including one possible bug.

One of the DVDs I worked on was not covered in the web site "how to" page and not covered in the non standard protection popup page either.  Or at least I didn't find it covered.

This was an anime DVD that was encoded in 99 parts, half with 0 or no times.  the rest listed between 1.5 and 4 hours.  Problem is, this is a 7 episode DVD.  The program picked the longest track which was wrong in this case.  Which to choose?

I opened the DVD in VLC player which also treated the DVD as one long video and noted the total run length and found a match in DVDCAT (one second off) and this was the correct file.  I then determined that each episode was 6 scenes long so I used the break by function to get the 7 seperate episodes and one short clip with two scenes of DVD credits and company logo.

However, while encoding episode 6, DVDCAT stopped working.  I eventually concluded it was the DVDs fault and setup to encode the last two episodes starting at scene 31.  That is when I found the possible bug.  To make sure I had selected the correct scene to start on, I started the preview function and even though I had selected scene 31 for a start and the scene selector in the preview screen (lower left corner) said scene 31, it started on scene 1.  I tried this several times and had the same results.  When I clicked up arrow in the preview scene selector, it jumped to #32 and down arrow took it to #31.  Check to make sure that when preview starts up, it looks at the scene selection first.

Just curious, which language do you use?  I've been wanting to learn the modern Windows enviroment programming languages but I have never decided which to try.   I learned Programming pre-windows and have spent the last 20 years as a design engineer, not a programmer.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

DVD Catalyst 4 - DVD & Video to NOOKcolor

I'll put my answers inbetween :smileyhappy:

draksig wrote:

Okay, bought the program yesterday (Good work BTW, from an old DOS trained programmer) and gave it a workout today and have a few things to tell you about including one possible bug.

Thanks. I appreciate the compliment.

One of the DVDs I worked on was not covered in the web site "how to" page and not covered in the non standard protection popup page either.  Or at least I didn't find it covered.

The "Problem DVD" section contains DVDs people mention to be as being problematic, or ones I have ran into myself. I'm sure there are more picky ones, but those are the ones I am aware of.

This was an anime DVD that was encoded in 99 parts, half with 0 or no times.  the rest listed between 1.5 and 4 hours.  Problem is, this is a 7 episode DVD.  The program picked the longest track which was wrong in this case.  Which to choose?

I have some information on that in various places on my website and the manual as well. Here is one of the links for it:

http://www.tools4movies.com/2010/11/dvd-catalyst-4-non-standard-dvd-protection-popup/

I opened the DVD in VLC player which also treated the DVD as one long video and noted the total run length and found a match in DVDCAT (one second off) and this was the correct file.  I then determined that each episode was 6 scenes long so I used the break by function to get the 7 seperate episodes and one short clip with two scenes of DVD credits and company logo.

Good find. This was the scenario I referred to when I mentioned the Dukes of Hazard DVD. Because the process is a little complicated and quite rare, I figured it would be less confusing to not explain it on these forums, unless you would actually run into it, but you already figured that one out by yourself.

However, while encoding episode 6, DVDCAT stopped working.  I eventually concluded it was the DVDs fault and setup to encode the last two episodes starting at scene 31.  That is when I found the possible bug.  To make sure I had selected the correct scene to start on, I started the preview function and even though I had selected scene 31 for a start and the scene selector in the preview screen (lower left corner) said scene 31, it started on scene 1.  I tried this several times and had the same results.  When I clicked up arrow in the preview scene selector, it jumped to #32 and down arrow took it to #31.  Check to make sure that when preview starts up, it looks at the scene selection first.

I'll have a look at it today so it will be fixed in the next update. Thank you for the detailed description of the issue, it makes it so much easier to make it work properly :smileyhappy:

Just curious, which language do you use?  I've been wanting to learn the modern Windows enviroment programming languages but I have never decided which to try.   I learned Programming pre-windows and have spent the last 20 years as a design engineer, not a programmer.

I use Borland Delphi (v7 to be exact) for development. I'll send you an email with how I got started :smileyhappy:

Correspondent
draksig
0 Kudos

Re: DVD Catalyst 4 - DVD & Video to NOOKcolor

dvdcatalyst wrote:
I use Borland Delphi (v7 to be exact) for development. I'll send you an email with how I got started :smileyhappy:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, Borland is still around?  One of the launguages I worked with was Borland Turbo Basic back in the late 80s.  Pretty easy to work with for basic and flexable.  I also learned Fortran, cobol, C and I had to take one class in assembler, never learned any of the visual languages but would not be that hard to learn.  looking forward to the email and will look into it also online. 

thanks. 

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

draksig wrote:

dvdcatalyst wrote:

------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow, Borland is still around?  One of the launguages I worked with was Borland Turbo Basic back in the late 80s.  Pretty easy to work with for basic and flexable.  I also learned Fortran, cobol, C and I had to take one class in assembler, never learned any of the visual languages but would not be that hard to learn.  looking forward to the email and will look into it also online. 

thanks. 

LOL, Nope. They have been bought-out twice. Currently owned by Embarcado. Email should be in your inbox already. With C, you should be good though. GUI programming is not much different from console-programming. In a GUI you just hook code to a button-click event.

Contributor
MDmom23

OMG, Thank you everyone for recommending this program!  In just a few hourse I had 10 of my girls favorite movies converted and ready for their nook colors.  They are using a CM7 card, one is N2A and the other is one from ebay which is similar.  I had trouble getting any videos to play at first so I followed someone's post and removed the card, booted in Nook mode, loaded a movie file and made sure it played.  Then I reloaded the card and rebooted into android mode and voila, all is well!  I ran into a snag with one movie conversion, Tangled, and went to the website to check it out and sure enough, they had posted a workaround.  I didn't have luck with many of the "free" android media players such as Rock Player and Mobo Player as the audio tracks were off.  Once I downloaded the double twist player, it worked fine.  Then I saw a link for movie gallery which comes with its own player and we're using that without issue on their NC's.  Purchased it for both NC's and love it!