Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

DecalGirl skin for NGL

I got the skin I ordered, nice and fast from DG, overall it was a good experience.

I messed up on the front panel install, and I plan to contact them tomorrow to take advantadge of their offer of a free replacement + shipping. 

The back skin went on fairly easily, looks nice and lines up with the edges of the device to where the grey ring meets it. 

The issue I had with the front screen, I believe, can be traced to the fact that the 'n' button cut out did not properly seperate from the skin, and as a result getting it lined up became an issue and I ended up stretching the skin.

For those wondering I pushed the skin down on the back of the device so that the 'n' is visable.  It doesn't lay perfectly flat in that 'n', but it's only around the edges.  I do not think it will be an issue. 

I'd rate the overall experience as a 7.5 / 10.  I may up that to an 8.5 later depending on how the CS is, and how the replacement fron skin panel fits.

Also, YAY first post as a Bibliophile!  Thank you to all the folks who have kudo'd me!  I think it was Kama's kudo's to me over in the thread about someone thinking BN had removed a book from their library.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Re: DecalGirl skin for NGL

Thank you Mercury, I have been so busy I forgot to keep checking for the new skins. I always get the matte skin, it cuts down on the glare a bit. If you order by today, there is a code for 20% off. Either VETERAN20 or VETERANS20. Mercury, I'm sure you will find their customer service fantastic.
bobstro
0 Kudos

Does the rear decal cover the entire rear panel, or is there a gap?

As to the 'n' imprint, with other skins, I've been eable to emboss the skin using a fingernail, or other burnishing tool. So long as doing so doesn't distort the skin and it stretches into the depression and sticks, it should look fine.

Bummer about the front. I tried applying a decalgirl decal to a 10 inch tablet and had the same problem.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TN, just got off the phone with someone in their support group, she was very helpful and spoke clear English, she did have a slight accent but it was an American regional accent and it was clear English was either her first language or that she had mastered it to a point that it was not an issue what so ever. 

She set me up with shipping and told me to email their support a picture of the damaged decal.  I've done so and I have already had an automated email letting me know they're working on it and that the time is usually under 2 hours on regular business days. 

I missed the promo, but I'm glad to support a company that has that level of CS.  Overall I'd give their CS a 9.8 (.2 deduction because it's not 24/7 and they have essentially standard business hours to call in about issues, I can understand why, but it's still frustrating it's the two of those factors so I suppose it's really a .1 per issue).

I'm holding off with an overall score update until I get the decal and apply it.  But I can tell you that the CS certainly will boost it. 

Bobstro

Yes, the rear decal covers from edge to edge until the grey band.

And yes the 'n' on the back is fairly easy to do with the skin provided. 

EDIT

Within 30 minutes I've had an email back saying they have processed my request and that I'll get an email from UPS with a tracking number once the package leaves. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Re: 20% promotion. The code is VETERANS20 and has been extended til 17th. The original cost for the skin is $14.99. Yes, Mercury their customer service is the best I've ever experienced.
Reader 4
Missy823
0 Kudos

I'm so happy I saw this post. This is my first time hearing about this company. I usually use gelaskin, but since they seem to be taking their sweet time to come up with skins for the Nook line, I'm going to give this company a try. I already see one for the NGL that I like. Still going through their extensive artwork to find one for my Nook HD, but I might not purchase that one until Black Friday or Cyber Monday, since they said they will be having a deal on them.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

skin.jpgI ordered one today: I just wish it came along with someone to install it! This kind of thing makes me very nervous--I always seem to foul it up.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

My suggestions for installing it

1) follow their tips (I didn't and I got hosed on the front cover).

2) Take the grey ring off the NGL.  It is totally possible and safe to do this (I say this as a B&N employee AND as a NGL owner who has done it multiple times.

3) For the back you'll likely get a big air bubble due the the 'n' indent, just be patient with smoothing it out.  As I said above I worked the cover in to the indent so the 'n' is there on the back with my decal on. 

4) For the front I can only advise trying to make sure the 'n' button hole actually peels off properly.  Then slowly and carefully aligning the decal.  I'll follow their directions when I get the replacement, and update with any tips if I'm successful.

I haven't gotten an email from UPS yet, which makes me worried that it wont be processed until monday, but I'll live even then of course.

bobstro
0 Kudos

Got a pic, Mercury?

Mercury_Glitch

[ Edited ]

NGL DG Black back decal.jpg

Sorry if this comes out odd, had to resize it several times to get it to the max file size. 

The front is bare right now, since the front decal stretched and it was bugging me.  I did get it on, but not evenly and not without bunching in one of the corners.

bobstro
0 Kudos

The 'n' logo embossed very nicely. That's better than I expected.

Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

That doesn't look half bad.

Do they have a clear or white one (instead of black) to keep the original white aesthetics of the NGL intact?

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

These are more decorative than anything else, though they do have a wide variety of designs.  I do not recall seeing a white/clear one when I looked.  But if you're sure you want to get a decal that doesn't change anything you could always wait for them to allow custom decals for the NGL and make a white one.

I don't know how easy they are to clean versus the NGL itself, which is only one of the many reasons I went with a flat black.

From the pictures on the site, I'll still have a small white trim on the inside, which is fine by me, it'll give the page illusion better than the rather wide bezel does currently.

Mercury_Glitch

photo.JPG

So, it was a harder task getting the front decal on, and it's not even, but I like it more than the white that was there before.  The inner ring of white there is (mostly) the part that dips down toward the screen. 

Things I found annoying

1) the 'n' was hard to get out (and it's supposed to come out)

2) the last corner you do seems to get a small crease.  You can see it in what would be the upper left corner of the NGL if I were holding it upright.  It's slightly more noticable in real life.  It was larger, but pushing down with a fingernail has had some success.

Tips

1) Get the 'n' bit free and clear first.

2) do not press down at all until you're good to go all over

3) try and avoid peeling it back up if you can, air bubbles can (for the most part) be worked out without doing this. 

4) Do not aim for perfection.  Unless you're a machine you're probably going to end up with a less than 100% perfectly applied skin. 

5) Removing the grey ring around the NGL did seem to help.  You're aiming to not get the decal on it anyway, having it on the NGL just presents issues.

So overall I'd rate DG as a 9.  The CS was great, and while the application of the skin has issues it's close enough for me. 

It does make me wish B&N had released the NGL in black, I like the contrast of the light grey ring and the black bezel, and the white 'n'. 

keriflur
0 Kudos

If the material that DG uses for the skins is the same as what Gelaskins uses, the crease will likely work itself out over time.

Inspired Contributor
ConnieL4193
0 Kudos

Congrats on the status change Mercury. I'm looking for a good skin as well. I had a real nice one when I had my Kindle. Hope to find something similar. If someone can provide a link to one, it would be appreciated.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Just curious (as I am awaiting delivery of my skin)--did you place it on the back, "lock it down" (as the instructions term it) and then kind of stretch it into the N?  It looks perfectly done--as if it had been meant to work that way.  Since I ordered a skin with a pattern, I'm not usre if I need to do that; but if it can be done as expertly as you did, I might want to try.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The back was fairly easy.

I tried to line it up as best as I could, and then I worked the air bubles out.  I suspect the back works so much easier because there's more surface to work with.  I'd gotten the back essentially pushed down and I believe I'd started pushing down in to the 'n'. 

I've been reading on it post-skin on the front and I have to say I don't really notice the imperfections I know are there.  I am again happier with the black, and I think you will be happier with the pattern you picked, over the flat white. 

All I can really say is take your time. 

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I really appreciate your posting your experience with the skin.  The only reason I've ordered one is that I know the white will get dirty.  While it looks prety sleek now, this is a device I'm going to USE; and the matte white will certainly not look so elegant in a few months.  I am verh happy with my NGL--my only real criticism is that I do wish it had come in a more practical grey or black.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

I'm happy to provide it. 

I'm sure FT would point out the costs of various color options, but I think it may have been worth it.  They seem to want to bring the eink line on par with how the HDs are set up.  The power button is in the same spot, the settings are accessed in the same way, even the hard reset is the same for the NGL and the HD line.  So it strikes me as odd that they wouldn't release a black version along with the white.

I really hope they're not waiting for something like Discovery Friday* (the 22nd of November so the Friday of this week) or Black Friday to release one.  Though to be honest if they do I'll likely buy it and pass my NGL along to a family member.  Yes the color is that important to me.

*Discovery Friday is a new thing B&N is launching this year, there will be events in every store, with various contests.  One of which is a chance to win a 1,000 shopping spree at B&N you can enter on the 22nd at the Nook desk of your B&N.  I would check it out, and I say that not just as an employee.