Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

Re: DecalGirl skin for NGL

I personally think different colored NGL's are in the works.  The official cover comes in a variety of colors (gray, red, etc) so perhaps B&N's next release in the NGL line will be a new color choice along with some other minor improvements.

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Re: Discovery Friday

Looks like fun...Is it mostly for kids (or for Julie)?  It's all day affair, right?  (The site for our store says it's at 9 AM--I'm assuming tht's when it begins.)  I can't go during the day because I'm working, but if it's not just for kids, I'd like to drop by in the evening.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Discovery Friday

There are a lot of kids events, but most stores should also have teen and adult events.  And the 1,000 gift card thing is open to all but you have to enter in store.

I'd call your local store to find out which events they're doing.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin

Re: Discovery Friday/Skin

Thanks for the information--I'll have to try to get there.

Back to the original topic--my DecalGirl skin arrived today.  I am delighted with how awesome it looks.  I followed your directions carefully (got a little freaked at taking the rubber bumper off, but I took a few deep breaths and did it.)  I'd also watched the videos on the site.  It was much easiler and less nerve-wracking to apply than a screen saver.  It's not quite as tacky, so as long as one doesn't press down hard initially, it's easy to keep re-positioning it until it's placed just right.  I decided not to press down into the N on the back: it feels fine without it, and I think it would detract from the design.  Nook is now perfect!  Looks cool and won't show the dirt. Again, I appreciate your guidance. 

Nook front.jpg

Contributor
Nook_User
0 Kudos

Looks good.  Thanks for sharing.

I'm kind of on the fence about putting a skin on my lovely new NGL

I love the white body design, so I don't want to ruin the original aesthetics just yet. 
I do wish B&N would hurry up and relase a decent travel case for the NGL.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

It does seem like DG has a white skin for the NGL

http://www.decalgirl.com/skins/198031/Barnes-and-Noble-NOOK-GlowLight-Skin-Solid-State-White

Though I can say from having one on my NGL that it's not going to offer much protection.  I think it would probably wipe clean as easily as the NGL itself.

bobstro
0 Kudos

The skins are good for protecting against light abrasions and discoloration from contact (rubbing), but that's about it. The matte skins probably aren't as effective at repelling stains.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

On the topic of the bumper: given how simple it is to remove and put back on, I'm really hoping that BN (or someone else) comes out with colored replacements for it. I loved having a blue rear case for my N1E, and that kind of fun personalization wouldn't be amiss here, in my opinion.

It would also be a pretty decent idea for a marketing program. "A Reader As Unique As You" - lots of different people with customized device bumpers, screensaves, covers, etc. Given how the white device already pops against the sea of greys and blacks in contemporary electronics design, running a "Be Different" campaign certainly could be effective. It worked for Apple.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Given how the 'cases' B&N has for the NGL are currently designed, one would think that they would have those in mind.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I got an email from decalgirl today advertising a 25% sitewide discount using the code "BLACKFRIDAY25", and 35% off decalgirl collective offerings using the code "COLLECTIVE" from Nov 22nd through Dec 1st.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

I'm waiting on my DecalGirl skins for my HD and NGL (and MacBook) -- should arrive tomorrow.  I chose to go with custom skins, using pictures from my travels, and couldn't find a template for the NGL so I went ahead and ordered them with the NST template -- as near as I can tell, it should work fine.  I like using the custom skins even if they cost a tiny bit more because there is NO way anyone can "accidentally" pick them up, saying they thought it was their device.  Sorry, not with my vacation photos on it you don't!

I still have some spray from Zagg that creates a lubricating surface to apply the skins and then evaporates, allowing me to adjust the fit of the skins and squeegee out air bubbles before the adhesive bonds 100%.  I plan on using this spray to help me with the DecalGirl skins.

Thanks to the original poster who mentioned DecalGirl in another thread ... I really missed being able to do custom skins through Zagg.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

The NST skin will fit the NGL but you will have issues if you remove the rubber ring. It may also prevent placing the skin nicely since the rings edge is curved. There are other minor issues like the cut outs for buttons that aren't there but those should not affect placement just that whatever picture you use will have four white lines on the front. Possibly a spot on the back where the old power button was on the NST.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Re: Decalgirl skin/Wallpaper

I noticed your photos of skins do not show wallpaper. I have not had a minute to put skin on yet, but was planning on wallpaper to match skin. I checked table of contents and did a search on user manual and didnt find anything on wallpaper. Am I missing something or can't we use wallpaper on new glowlight? Thanks for your help!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I did not see matching wallpaper as an option with the new glow light.  I do lke my skin for it, but I was disappointed that none of the options seemed to have the matching wallpaper.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

They said there would be a number included in the packaging.  As I got a standard black skin I didn't bother looking since I could just make a black screensaver and load that on my NGL.

I currently have a customized screensaver which I've made, it was inspired by the Wheel of Time series by Jordan and features artwork from the series. 

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Thanks again for always helping. Yes decal girl has the wallpaper, but I couldn't find directions on how to add it to glowlight. (I am the type that has to see it spelled out for me or I am afraid I will mess something up). So when I looked through manual I hoped for step by step directions to add wallpaper. Must be possible if you were able to create one! Life has been pretty crazy lately so maybe I didn't check very well.
Mercury_Glitch

Plug your NGL in to your computer, open the Nook drive that appears.  If there isn't a folder called "Screensavers" make one, open that folder, make another folder and call it whatever you'd like (I would suggest calling it the name of the skin or some such).  Put the image you got from Decal Girl in that folder.

Eject your NGL.

Go to settings - all settings - screen - screensaver and select the name of the folder you made.

I apologize if this comes off as curt, long weekend, and the retail joy has only just begun.  Two more days.

Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

Thank you again so much. I am sure you are swamped and I truly do appreciate all your help, not curt at all. I understand the craziness in life this time of year.
Distinguished Wordsmith
TXAnnie
0 Kudos

I got my skin package out and planned to go to computer to get wallpaper on nook. Looked on skin in package illustration and it did not have wallpaper on screen. I just called decalgirl and they said the New Glowlight does not support wallpaper. How sad, even the original nook supported wallpaper and Mercury you said you were able to customize yours. Glitch somewhere.
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

They're mistaken.  I think you may be able to google image search your way to success though.  If you search for the name of the skin when in image mode on google.com

I haven't tried it, but I have seen screensavers that look like they would have worked for the skins DG sells, at least some of them.