Reply
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011

Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

[ Edited ]
I know there have been some complaints about the nook color and nook tablet not charging properly with another non-nook generic micro USB cables (from another phone or device) when on a computer, but personally, I really like the unique design of the nook tablet power charger and microusb... Not only does it have a unique cool looking power ac box with a folding plug that can be folded in when not in use, but both the box and the USB cable that plug into it are designed with nook brand elements, the curved back of the adapter is the same as the nook "n", and the micro USB cable's head has a glowing LED nook "n" logo that lights up to let you know it is connected... Looks way better than the kindle fire power adapter which is just a generic ac adapter, and *does not double as a USB cable*... with the Kindle Fire, you have to purchase a separate micro USB cable independently to be able to connect the device to a computer...
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
Posts: 1,872
Registered: ‎11-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

Rob I totally agree...I think it's a cool design. I just wish it was easier to insert.

 

Speaking of the charger cable...I noticed on my NT charger, while charging the "N" is part yellow and part orange looking. Then turns bright green when fully charged. Is that how yours appears?

Contributor
jennt721
Posts: 25
Registered: ‎11-23-2011

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

I think that despite the coolness of having the N light up, I would prefer to use the same chargers that I use for my phone and bluetooth speakerphone. This would allow me to charge the device from everywhere. I will be buying the cool charger for this same capability but it costs more money. If only I didn't read so much...

Distinguished Correspondent
AVID-JT
Posts: 185
Registered: ‎06-17-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

Doreenpv wrote:

I noticed on my NT charger, while charging the "N" is part yellow and part orange looking. Then turns bright green when fully charged. Is that how yours appears?

-------

Yes, the N is orange while charging then turns green when fully charged. 

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
Posts: 147
Registered: ‎11-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

My Samsung cell phone car charger has a place on it that slides open and is a usb connection for charging.  My question is---Will my NT usb cord charge on this Samsung cord's usb connection, or do I have to have the nook car charger adapter?  Thank you 

Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

If you use the nook USB cord it can plug into any USB port, and should charge I believe. It's basically the same as plugging into a computer. However if you use another USB cable, while it can be used to transfer data to and from the nook, it wont *charge* the nook, correct me if this is wrong... So you need to have the nook cable to charge (not necessarily the ac adapter piece), any USB socket will work I think... Because I anyway have an iPhone, this is a non issue because the iPhone takes a different proprietary cable...
Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
Posts: 1,872
Registered: ‎11-15-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

Thx Avid. The  "N" on my NC while charging turns a shade of yellow. But on my NT it is more of an orange color while charging.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
Posts: 172
Registered: ‎11-08-2011

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

First, yes the Nook Color and Nook Tablet will charge off of a standard USB charger (including your Samsung). It will be an overnight charge, and the software, unfortunately, reports that it is not charging.

 

The problem is that the standard USB charging doesn't carry enough current to quickly charge the Nook Color/Tablet devices. Rather than going the traditional route for tablets of using a separate, and often proprietary, charging port, the B&N simply tweaked the existing USB. I actually really like that.

 

Oh, and my Nook Color (from launch) was very difficult to plug in. (Almost as difficult as it is for me to remove headphones from the thing!) The Nook Tablet ports seem to have been slightly improved, and plugging in power and headphones both now feel natural and easy.

Inspired Contributor
luny2ns
Posts: 147
Registered: ‎11-05-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

Thank you

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

[ Edited ]

jennt721 wrote:

I think that despite the coolness of having the N light up, I would prefer to use the same chargers that I use for my phone and bluetooth speakerphone. This would allow me to charge the device from everywhere. I will be buying the cool charger for this same capability but it costs more money. If only I didn't read so much...


You actually can charge it using a standard microusb-it just will charge very slowly.  It's also not so good for trying to read and charge at the same time, since the NT will discharge at a rate much faster than it is charging. The reason for the different cord is so that it will quickcharge.  The NC and NT cords both have extra pins which allow for fast charging.

 

You can also use a standard microusb cord to connect to a pc for sideloading.

 

iPads also use non-standard cords and I'd be interested to know what kind of cord the Fire uses and how long it takes to charge.

 

As far as charging in a car-I have the best of all worlds in that I generally like to get the car adapter for each device, but I also have what is called a power inverter that works for a great many things that I don't have adapters for.  The inverter is a little box about the size of a hardcover book that can have usb ports, but more importantly it has 3 prong sockets for you to plug devices into.  I can even plug a laptop into mine.  The other end plugs into the cigarette lighter (or power outlet as they are now called) in the car.  I got mine for about $40.  You just have to make sure that it is rated for the devices you intend to use it for and that you unplug (turn it off and unplug it from the car) when the car is not on.  I've used mine to charge camera batteries, with a laptop on a road trip to New Orleans, to charge 2 nooks at a time, and to charge my cell phone.  With one of these things you never actually have to buy a car charger for anything as long as you have the wall charger.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Inspired Wordsmith
robotecture
Posts: 862
Registered: ‎09-29-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

Currently, the power cord that comes with the kindle fire does not come with a removable USB cable so it doesn't do data transfer with a computer. It is strictly a power adapter that plugs into a wall. In order to connect to a computer you need to purchase a different cable I believe... I believe the intent was that files anyway can be transferred by downloading and uploading to the cloud drive.
Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
Posts: 3,933
Registered: ‎12-28-2009
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter


robotecture wrote:
Currently, the power cord that comes with the kindle fire does not come with a removable USB cable so it doesn't do data transfer with a computer. It is strictly a power adapter that plugs into a wall. In order to connect to a computer you need to purchase a different cable I believe... I believe the intent was that files anyway can be transferred by downloading and uploading to the cloud drive.

I do understand this-I probably should have worded this better-it wasn't well thought out.  My question was meant to be if the Fire's cord and adapter unit provide a quickcharge.  I've seen some charger units being sold that look like they have just a standard microusb end. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
New User
TwoMetreBill
Posts: 2
Registered: ‎03-04-2012
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire AC adapter

I charge my Nook Tablet with my Apple iPhone charging brick, HP XW4300 desktop, Dell Studio 15 laptop and a recent model HP laptop (sorry forgot the model number) at work. They all charge the tablet just fine though when plugged in, the charging monitor says Not Charging. I just ignore that and it charges. I've not run a timing test against the supplied Nook charger but it charges fast enough for me.

 

There are some el-cheapo laptops (probably desktops too) that put so little power to the USB port that it actually won't charge. They won't hurt the Nook, they just won't charge it. An unpowered USB hub probably won't put out enough power to charge it either.

 

It is easy to test whether your USB port puts out enough power to charge it. With the battery below 100%, plug the cable into the port and the Nook, check the charging %, come back in 15 minutes and see if it has increased. If not, you have a low power USB port that won't charge it.

 

So why not just use the supplied brick? For me, it is convenience when at home and the size of the brick when traveling. I travel with 2 of the Apple bricks which combined are smaller than the Nook brick. Also the Nook brick is so large that some hotel outlets won't take both the Nook brick and something else plugged into the outlet. This is rare because the Nook brick is well designed but it does happen to me.

 

Note that I do use the supplied Nook cable, haven't tried a cheaper 3rd party one yet.

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
Posts: 791
Registered: ‎11-24-2011

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter


robotecture wrote:
... the curved back of the adapter is the same as the nook "n", and the micro USB cable's head has a glowing LED nook "n" logo that lights up to let you know it is connected...

That, however, is a failure point, those two LED's inside the plug. It would be less prone to failure if the LEDs were in the device itself next to the plug.

 

And the extra long plug means that one cannot use just any standard to micro USB cable, while with the design of shorting out the data lines to let the device know its connected to a charger would allow any standard USB to micro USB cable to be used to connect to the power brick.

Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
Posts: 1,757
Registered: ‎09-10-2011

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter

I think most of us are just fine with the nook charger design, just concerned with its apparent fragiliy when compared to standard usb chargers. The charging light and speed of charging are real pluses. FWIW I was having issues with my color charger by the time it reached the 4 month mark. My tablet is not having any issues at nearly 4 months. The little bit longer sleeve and maybe a little care on my part hopefully will make a difference. I do believe BN needs to put a sticker on the charger so that buyers are aware that kinking the cord is more likely to damage the cord due to its added features.
Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
Posts: 885
Registered: ‎01-25-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Design of Nook Tablet USB power charger vs. Kindle Fire ac adapter


BruceMcF wrote:

And the extra long plug means that one cannot use just any standard to micro USB cable, while with the design of shorting out the data lines to let the device know its connected to a charger would allow any standard USB to micro USB cable to be used to connect to the power brick.


Mmm ... no.  I can and do use standard micro-USB cables to recharge my Nook Tablet or Nook Color.  What I can't do is use the B&N cable to recharge my Android smartphone.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
New User
iceruam
Posts: 5
Registered: ‎11-22-2011

Buy a Kindle next time

Cool?  Come on!  I just want to charge the nook, I am not caring what the blasted thing looks like.  So I forgot my cable at home while traveling.  I stopped at an electronics store bought a Duracell device that charges multiple items, one of the items listed...Nook.  Great I get back to the hotel only to find out it does not work.

This Duracell mutli charger seemed like a good deal could charge in the house in the car, charge phones, ipods etc. Money hungry idiots get in the way of functionality too often. How difficult would it be to just make these type of devices (mobile phones, mp3 players, tablets) from standard usb power supplies. 

I hate having to carry 4 power adapters when traveling companies should be penalized for not adhering to  a standard power supply (mobile phone batteries included) enough of my unCOOLness rant  functionality over coolness any day!!!! Should have bought a Kindle

 

Wordsmith
TnTexas
Posts: 883
Registered: ‎10-22-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buy a Kindle next time

My understanding is that regular USB cables (like those used for smartphones and what not) will charge the Nook devices (at least the Color and Tablet), they just charge them at a slower rate than the Nook cables do.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
Posts: 788
Registered: ‎12-03-2011
0 Kudos

Re: Buy a Kindle next time


TnTexas wrote:

My understanding is that regular USB cables (like those used for smartphones and what not) will charge the Nook devices (at least the Color and Tablet), they just charge them at a slower rate than the Nook cables do.


This applies to the Nook Simple Touch as well. My cell phone micro USB charger works just fine with my NST. AFAIK it isn't any slower either, but then I don't have a way to compare since my NST didn't come with the charging cube and I see no need to buy one. The cell phone charger is a heck of a lot faster than the USB plugged into a computer.

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
Posts: 1,119
Registered: ‎01-09-2010
0 Kudos

Re: Buy a Kindle next time


iceruam wrote:

Cool?  Come on!  I just want to charge the nook, I am not caring what the blasted thing looks like.  So I forgot my cable at home while traveling.  I stopped at an electronics store bought a Duracell device that charges multiple items, one of the items listed...Nook.  Great I get back to the hotel only to find out it does not work.

This Duracell mutli charger seemed like a good deal could charge in the house in the car, charge phones, ipods etc. Money hungry idiots get in the way of functionality too often. How difficult would it be to just make these type of devices (mobile phones, mp3 players, tablets) from standard usb power supplies. 

I hate having to carry 4 power adapters when traveling companies should be penalized for not adhering to  a standard power supply (mobile phone batteries included) enough of my unCOOLness rant  functionality over coolness any day!!!! Should have bought a Kindle

 


The power adapter isn't really the issue, it's the charging cable. I've used a different power adapters with no problem as long as I use the correct cable. I even have one standard car charger using a usb port that I can use for any of my devices' usb cords for charging on the run. I charge everything at night, at home and on the road. Slow or fast, they are always charged in the morning, so it's not an issue.