Contributor
RossTexas

Dictionary Limited

I wrote support concerning the dictionary with no comments from them. I wrote a review about the dictionary on the nook and they blocked it, saying it violated terms and conditions. Bunch of bs as I did read it. Notice how all the reviews are rather technical/hardware related or things like they can't read in the dark. Nothing about the material things of the nook are posted, as b&n simply censors the reviews!

The dictionary is just embarrassing compared to kindle and sony, 

1. It doesn't select hyphenated words partially ending on one line and continuing on the next.

2. It's limited as many harder words aren't in the dictionary.

3. Many definitions are unhelpful...such as denunciation - the act of denouncing.Since there is no searchable dictionary, you cannot find the definition of denouce, unless you use some other medium.

4. No searchable dictionary.

My sister got a kindle touch. I looked at it and it has a searchable dictionary, and I believe it has choice of 2 dictionaries.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash

Re: Dictionary Limited

The Nook makes three things very simple:

1. Buying books from B&N

2.Reading books from B&N

3.Telling others about B&N books through social networking.

Improvements in other areas seem to be disreguarded, if you look at all the suggestions for the 1.1 release that have been ignored so far.

Others here think adding other features, such as a browser to look up words not in the dictionary, the ability to delete books directly from the Nook, or download  books directly to the Nook from other sources, as making the device too complicated.

Judge for yourself. If these "complications" appeal to you, I suggest you look into rooting your Nook.

Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

I don't really need all the extra features by rooting. My only gripe is the dictionary. But that is an integral part of the reading experience. Plus rooting, i would think, would not allow me to install any future updates released by b&n.

The problems I had written before about are normal things that b&n competitors already have. Making the already installed dictionary be searchable isn't such a hard thing. I haven't asked for some phenomenal new inovation, but telling b&n to fix nook's shortcomings. All nook has is nicer interface than kindle. That's it. You can even lend books on kindles now.

b&n has the opportunity to make its nook a great competitor in the industry. Being the underdog, they have to distribute a better product than amazon, but instead they have produced a lower quality alternative. Sony, on the other hand, has made a better looking e-reader with 12 dictionaries, stylus, etc currently at $99. So compete, they can. Features, they can. No excuses.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Just FYI, it is always possible to bring your Nook back to Firmware 1.0, just as out of the box, rooted or not. The guys that have played around with various rooting techniques have figured this out, because they of course totally destroyed the operating system as they initially bumbled around and bricked their units,

See here:

http://blog.the-ebook-reader.com/2011/11/07/how-to-unroot-nook-touch-to-restore-it-to-original-firmw...

I too drool over the features put in the Sony and would have probably bought it if it existed when I bought the Simiple Touch, especially the dictionaries. However I am not sure if people looking for these features are in the majority. At least the most vocal people here seem to think the NST is one step away from perfect.

Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

Most likely, if b&n doesn't address these issues, I will sell my nook on craigslist and buy a sony. As far as compatibility, there's a free program called calibre that will convert any version to any version.

Inspired Correspondent
MacFlash
0 Kudos

Just be careful about conversions. Calibre does not work with DRM protected books.

Reader
learning2

I'm not hitting problems with hyphenated words, but the "hit rate" for complex words is really low.  I don't get it--what good is a dictionary that doesn't have complex and unusual words?

The dictionary is just embarrassing compared to kindle and sony, 

1. It doesn't select hyphenated words partially ending on one line and continuing on the next.

2. It's limited as many harder words aren't in the dictionary.

Inspired Correspondent
MarkinStLouis
0 Kudos

One thing I've noticed about the hyphenation issue: if you have the font set to the publisher's default, the dictionary will recognize it. I only seem to have a problem when I define myself own font settings, which is most of the time.
Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

It may be that particular ebook it recognizes the hyphenated words. I read all my ebooks in the publisher defaults and most it doesn't recognize. I had run across one book where it recognized it, and that was a free book not purchased from b&n, but found free online.

Contributor
RossTexas
0 Kudos

Interesting. Didn't know that about Calibre. Thanks for the info.