Contributor
Nicole_Lilie
0 Kudos

Differences between new NookTablet and NookColor

Can anyone give me a quick side by side comparison between the new tablet and the NookColor? Is it mainly just the speed and power of the processor or are there new capabilities the tablet will have that the NC does not?

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

Re: Differences between new NookTablet and NookColor

Sound in is probably the big new thing. 

But the CPU push is significant, and the extra RAM and storage upgrades are important as well. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Inspired Wordsmith
TigerShawk

The mic.  More internal storage, better battery life.  Since its dual core they can base the operating system on Android 2.3.  Compared to original NC, which appears to be staying at 2.2.  They don't detail what difference that might make, and I don't know either, but I would say that there could be some apps in the future that will say, "Designed for Nook Tablet."  If not for the OS, at least for the mic.

Here is one websites comparison on the OS.  Again, B&N modifies these OS's, but things like better keyboard and better power management are likely coming from use 2.3.

Android 2.3 (Gingerbread) supports the following features in addition to existing 2.2 features:

New user interface design with new themes (Black themes save power)

Extra Large Screen Size supported

SIP Communication Supported (SIP Video and Audio Calling, In an operator point of view, this is feature will decrease their voice calling revenue where as user can call each other for lower rates or even free if they have good data connection)

Supports for NFC (High Frequency High Speech Data Transfer in short range)

Support for WebM/VP8 video playback, and AAC audio encoding

New audio effects such as reverb, equalization, headphone virtualization, and bass boost

Improved Copy and Paste functionality

Redesigned Multi Touch Software Keyboard

Audio, graphical, and input enhancements for game developers

New sensors support (i.e gyroscope)

Download manager for long running HTTP downloads

Enhanced support for native code

Improved power management and application control

Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

So, is B&N planning on keeping the NC around as a "little brother" or are they just going to sell off whatever already made supply they have and kill it off? 

Wordsmith
TnTexas

roustabout: Sound in is probably the big new thing.

Despite the fact that the speakers are in the same place, does that mean the sound will be better/louder on the NT?

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

Non-programming user question:

Is there any way for a current NC to be upgraded to be identical w/ the Nook Tablet w/ "Nook OS" aside from the microphone & possibly speaker issues?

Or are there truly hardware changes inside the case?

I ask as my NC will only be 5months old when the Tablet is released - and unless I can get landscape reading options, & someway to scoot my downloads into a "my books" folder for when I'm on the road w/o a computer handy, only WiFi connection handy.

Distinguished Bibliophile
roustabout
0 Kudos

@TNT:  No way to tell until folks get hands-on with the new device how the sound quality is.

I am not hoping for much, because the speaker placement and grille are identical;  it seems to me that BN missed an opportunity to revise that placement in this design, which is too bad, given that many of us use cases for our NCs. 

@VA:  yes, if the software platform is the same, having Netflix available to both makes sense.

Until the moment you add in entertainment industry lawyers, at which point common sense, along with the fourth, fifth, tenth and 14th amendments to the constitution all go away rather quickly, except as far as they apply to the industry itself. 

That said, it seems that the entertainment industry has had time to stress test the Netflix distribution model and is satisfied that it is not trivial, even on a device running lots of custom software, to use Netflix to steal content, and so we have the promise that Netflix will be available and supported on the NC.

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
KJRollins

I just talked to one of the sales reps, and they gave me this answer:

Agent: Basically, the NOOK Tablet is a full computer tab device. Unlike the NOOK Color, it's an e-reader with basic tablet features. The NOOK Tablet is faster, longer battery life, lighter and has more features than the NOOK Color.
Here's the summary of the NOOK Tablet specs:
-Dual core processor and responsive 1ghz dual core. -1 GB ram. -lighter than Kindle, 30% lighter that the NOOK Color. -16 GB memory, can hold 10,000 books + free NOOK cloud storage keeps everything safe & secure. -Improved Flash Player. -HD Movies, TV Shows and Music. -Interactive kid’s books. -Battery: Read for 11.5 hours or watch 9 hours of video5 - that's 5 entire movies. All on a single charge. -802.11 b/g/n."
---

Customer: So basically, the nook Color holds less books, and the nook Tablet has more ram as well as a better processor?

Agent: Yes, you are correct.

Hope this helps!
Contributor
Mathias_TheNOOKsalesman
0 Kudos

The NOOK Tablet does support reading in landscape mode and a slightly improved speakers and much better software for sound. The videos on the NOOK Tablet will be a 100 times better then on NOOK Color because of the hardware and software integration. For example, it will support up to 1080p. I have seen the video quality and you won't be dissapointed. Also, they teamed up with Netflix to have it integrated to the device which means it works great on the tablet and there are features built in to the tablet where you can see what you were playing last and then actually click on it and it will load you back where you were. Now the NOOK Color will get a O.S. improvement like the one on NOOK Tablet, but it will not support all the features. There will also be apps only capable on NOOK Tablet. I played with NOOK Tablet for about a hour and it is amazing and I have owned a NOOK Color since day 1.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

SOME MORE POSSIBLE DIFFERENCES 

(Or "A Few Ways Where Nook Color is Better than the Tablet")

Mind you, my plan right now remains the same:  Keep my Nook Color until around March,, my birthday. Then try to get the Tablet for my birthday.  Here, though are a few more POSSIBLE differences (not confirmed until someone plays with it):

1) The Nook Color is cheaper.

2) Personally, I like its looks better than the silver Tablet (It has more personality than the "robot-cold" silver of the Tablet.

3) As of now, we don't know if the Tablet boots first from the SD card, which means we don't know if it's as easily rootable / flashable as the Nook Color.  If it's not, that opens some other significant difference:

*A CM7 or rooted NC has the ability to have Bluetooth.

* A CM7 or rooted NC has full access to the Android Market.

* A CM7 or rooted NC can be overclocked to come close to the speed of the Tablet.

* A CM7 or rooted NC can increase speaker volume by downloading Nook Color Tweaks.

* A CM7 or rooted NC has access to anything you like about Amazon, including books, videos, etc. 

Correspondent
ps56k
0 Kudos

Mathias_TheNOOKsalesman wrote: I played with NOOK Tablet for about a hour and it is amazing and I have owned a NOOK Color since day 1.

I was hoping for a more detailed product comparison matrix, or something like what you have shared as a differentiator - but it seems BN can only write specs with a prose style...

Here is the Nook product line comparisons

Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

* A CM7 or rooted NC has access to anything you like about Amazon, including books, videos, etc. 

Well, the flash player kind of works for Amazon video, but not acceptably so, and Amazon has yet to release a mobile Amazon video program for any platform. With the two download limit on videos, it'll also be important to know whether or not you can copy the video between devices.

Other than that, I agree with your sentiments.

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

A CM7 or rooted NC can increase speaker volume by downloading Nook Color Tweaks.

***************************************************************************************************************************

Hello, richardwrite25  :smileyhappy:

You helped me a lot when I was going through rooting my NC and figuring out how to dual-boot.

Right now, I'm running CM7 (the most recent stable version) on the mSD card.

The only thing that I couldn't figure out was why the volume of avi. files that I play with Vital Player on CM7 was so low.

Could you please help? Where can I download the NC Tweaks? and How can I tweak the NC so that the volume is loud enough?:smileyhappy:

Thank you so much in advance.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

You should be able to just go to the Android Market and search for "Nook Tweaks."  After you download it, there is an audio section on it.

Wordsmith
TnTexas

UrSunshine: How can I tweak the NC so that the volume is loud enough?:smileyhappy:

I'm running CM7 on an SD card as well, and I just found an app called Volume + (paid version for just over a dollar) that has helped the speaker volume on my NC tremendously. So much in fact that I doubt I'll be changing from the NC to the NT no matter how good the NT's speakers turn out to be.

Inspired Contributor
bchau

To me, Nook Tablet is essentially a beef-up NookColor. Faster and more storage. A big feature for me is the addition of mic. I think it should be called NookColor 2 as it is essentially a second generation of NookColor. Calling it a tablet is a stretch though. I wish it came with front-facing camera, TV-OUT (as it already support full HD video playback) and a digitzer pen support. Then it would deserve to be called a tablet.

If I haven't had a NookColor, I would buy NT. But since I have already an NC, my next device would probably be a full tablet like the HTC Flyer which has all of the above features.

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 & TnTexas ~~

Thank you both for your help.

If my work provided WiFi, I'd try both apps now.

Unfortunately, it doesn't. :smileysad:

But I'm definitely going to try them at home tonight.

I'm sooo jazzed. Finally, I can watch something on a plane (where it's....so loud / the engine or whatever, the general airplane sound)

Frequent Contributor
UrSunshine
0 Kudos

richardwrite25,

Just wanted to tell you that the Nook Tweak app worked BEAUTIFULLY!!

Even with my thick Oberon cover on, the volume is big enough for me to hear it fine.

I'm so very happy.

Thanks again.

New User
roochie
0 Kudos

from everyones replies i still don't get the difference...

my biggest is the wifi capabilities, can the TAB access the web on like a 3G network (or similar) or is it still like the NC where you need to have a wireless router connection to get online?

my NC is under a year and it annoys me so much when new stuff comes out like this.  i wouldn't mind paying a few extra bucks to DL the feature onto my NC, and not paying full price for a whole new device.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

No, the Tablet can't access a mobile network. Like the NC, it has to be connected to a wifi connection of one kind or another.