Distinguished Correspondent
cgsmom
0 Kudos

Do you always buy from B&N?

I am considering buying the Amish Suspense series of books by Marta Perry. The four books in the series (Murder In Plain Sight, Lost In Plain Sight, Vanish In Plain Sight and Danger In Plain Sight) cost $21.44 from B&N.  Since they are not "Agency" titles, I looked them up other places.  From Google Play they would cost $19.26. From Books on Board, they would be $15.26.  That is a significant savings. Since I cannot get syncing to work between my Nook Tablet and iPod Touch anyway, there is no real reason to buy from B&N, is there?

I guess I am asking if there is any advantage to buying from B&N that would be worth the extra money.

Thanks

Wordsmith
TnTexas

Re: Do you always buy from B&N?

I used to make an effort to buy only from B&N, but I don't anymore. If you want/need to save some money, I say buy the books fron the cheapest source and don't feel guilty about it.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

I split my purchases between various vendors, but for non-agency titles I pretty much always buy from the cheapest vendor.  That's one of the great things about the nook - I'm not locked into who I buy from.

Reader 4
StickySD

I only buy from B&N when a Nook book is priced lower there than at other sites, which is almost never. Nook book pricing is an insult to Nook owners. Just compare the prices of Nook books vs paperbacks in today's bargain sale. They give us a publisher chosen free book once a week,one bargain book a day and a choice between two books at a "bargain" price for the weekend.Have you ever seen Nook books included in any sales? I've found books on Kindle books on Amazon priced as much as six to eight dollars less the same books on B&N. The Kindle for PC comes in handy here.B&N even raised the price on their own classic series once the Nook became more popular.That's one they can blame the publisher for.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923

StickySD wrote:

Just compare the prices of Nook books vs paperbacks in today's bargain sale. 

So you're comparing something being clearanced out versus something that isn't and are angry about the price difference?

Oy vey.

Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Agency books, yes, especially if only likely to read it once.

Non-agency fiction depends if there is a price difference, how much it is, and whether or not it is something I think my mom would like to read.

Non-agency non-fiction, usually no.  This is where I usually find the biggest pricing variations.  And it's bizarre, you have the "list" price (presumably set by the publisher) then the B&N price (1/3 off.) 

Can't figure out if publishers are truly setting different prices for the same book with different vendors or if B&N just isn't bothering to keep their non-fiction pricing list up to date.  (In fairness to B&N, have come across another ebook vendor that sometimes has the "higher" price like B&N, so B&N isn't alone in this.)  But given B&N's focus on JULIE (and lack of focus on fixing some of the reader functions), none of this surprises me any more. 

cgsmom

Thanks for all the replies.  I want B&N to survive, I really do. That said, I am retired and on a fixed income and books are a recreational expense. I have to save money if I can. I am afraid that B&N will really be in trouble if agency pricing ends. Hopefully, they will find a way.

Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

I have no problem buying from other vendors.  It all depends on the price.  For convenience, if B&N's price is close (within a dollar or so), I'll buy from them.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Frequent Contributor
byter67
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I generally buy as much as I can from B&N assuming the price gap is a narrow one. I am another of those on fixed income, so every buck counts. That said, I still give up 5.5% when buying from B&N because of the Wisc. sales tax which is added to the B&N purchase price. True, I can get 5% of that tax cost refunded by using my B&N credit card, but that’s it. No added rewards. A buy from Amazon using the Amazon credit card on the other hand gains me triple Amazon rewards points and no sales tax at all. Given the fiscal deficits popping up all over the landscape, one can only wonder how long that Amazon sales tax advantage will continue to endure.

I should add that several times during the course of the year B&N does get discount coupons sent my way either by US Mail or via email. I always use these coupons, and that does help a bit to offset price differentials.

Reader 4
paw3pals

Originally, if price was close I chose B&N in order to support them. However, when B&N took away sideloading, I basically stopped buying from B&N. I also do not routinely buy from Amazon. Books on Board, Diesel Ebooks, and publisher websites are where I purchase most ebooks.
Wordsmith
LectorGS

I purchase from B&N, however, the majority of the ebooks on my account are free books.  I think that the most expensive book I have ever purchased was marked at $9.99.  The competition was selling it for the same amount, so I decided to give my support to B&N.  

Lector GS
Frequent Contributor
Irishelf

I was trying to buy only from B&N until I got tired of B&N's lousy customer service and championing the agency model.  It also didn't help that B&N is charging for ebooks that are supposed to be free, raised the prices of ebooks when the lawsuit about the agency model was disclosed, often charges more for ebooks than other retailers, refuses to fix the crappy charger problem, releases updates that don't address common problems/requests and often cause new problems, horrible app selection, no way to block books you have no interest in (I have absolutely no interest in erotica, comics, or romance, which seems to be most of B&N's free books) and not allowing discounts for nonagency titles (as Kobo does).  I decided to try the Kobo Vox, and so far I like it much better than the NC (can download books from any retailer, has Google Play, has true Night choice for reading and has a better speaker).  I'll most likely purchase most of my books from Amazon (because they're usually cheaper there) or Kobo (since they send out coupons that can be used to discount nonagency ebooks).

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Irishelf wrote:

I was trying to buy only from B&N until I got tired of B&N's lousy customer service and championing the agency model.  It also didn't help that B&N is charging for ebooks that are supposed to be free, raised the prices of ebooks when the lawsuit about the agency model was disclosed, often charges more for ebooks than other retailers, refuses to fix the crappy charger problem, releases updates that don't address common problems/requests and often cause new problems, horrible app selection, no way to block books you have no interest in (I have absolutely no interest in erotica, comics, or romance, which seems to be most of B&N's free books) and not allowing discounts for nonagency titles (as Kobo does).  I decided to try the Kobo Vox, and so far I like it much better than the NC (can download books from any retailer, has Google Play, has true Night choice for reading and has a better speaker).  I'll most likely purchase most of my books from Amazon (because they're usually cheaper there) or Kobo (since they send out coupons that can be used to discount nonagency ebooks).

Gave you a laurel tho many of your issues was resloved on my nook color with CM7 card to open up other options like Kindle app for amazon books, Choice of better ereading apps,better browser. Better selection of apps on google play for me.

And no need to deal with B&N's "lack of" any longer. As mostly kicked them to the curb. They could have had some nice green from me. But the points you brought up and B&N ignoring them. Get's In-Like response from me. As they have had years to address many of these issues.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

Gave you a laurel tho many of your issues was resloved on my nook color with CM7 card to open up other options like Kindle app for amazon books,

And people still wonder why BN dislikes rooters...

Wordsmith
TnTexas

flyingtoastr: And people still wonder why BN dislikes rooters...

Just to keep the record clear for those who may not know, using a CM7 card is not the same as rooting the device. Of course, it's also not using the device as B&N would like (which I think was your basic point), but it's still not the same as rooting it.

poiuy

And people still wonder why BN dislikes rooters...

Point taken, but the basic principle should still be to try to find a way to turn that kind of person into a happy BN customer.  That could be quite a coo, but there's not much effort being made there.....quite the opposite in fact. 

Wordsmith
TnTexas

poiuy: Point taken, but the basic principle should still be to try to find a way to turn that kind of person into a happy BN customer. 

Especially since they're oftentimes the kind of person who can help create a positive buzz for the product.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

[ Edited ]

Yep I gave B&N an honest try and crossed my fingers for 2 years and started with the original nook.And acquired many buyers for B&N promoting their e-readers.

I Chimed in on asking about fixes on basic ereading functions fixes and feature additions like better pdf handling,annotating,notes and more powerful organizing options. Now all we get in way of firmware upgrades is Shopping addtions and little in the way of long standing bug fixes.

But the lack of response,lack of fixes,refusing to taking it on the chin and admitting they have their problems and will try to do better. Coupled with a clearly documented unwillingness to chime in. Has me looking elsewhere for books. And different brand of ereader in the future.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX

I PREFER to buy at BN..but ...I buy wherever it's cheapest.

Kobo gives discount codes regularly (sometimes up to 90% off) for non-agency epubs. Fictionwise has sales as well, and many smashwords authors who sell through BN will have promotions at smashwords.

They then win my dollar because BN does not allow discounting on ANY nookbooks, agency or not.

If they did, I would buy BN simply for the fact that books purchased through BN don't need to be sideloaded, and they come with details about the book that aren't always available on side loaded books. But I can deal with a little hassle for significant savings.

And sometimes, book are simply not available here at BN for whatever reason.

Distinguished Bibliophile
shadowcat80
0 Kudos

I buy from BN but only reason is I use giftcards for all my nook content.

Help me down the crooked road. Lead me to the light. I'm not sure I know the way but with you beside me, I'm certain we'll make it through.