Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Docking / Recharging Station for Nook Color

Now HERE'S something I definitely want to get.  It promotes itself as the first docking station for the Nook Color, by Reader Dock.  It's a very slick looking stand for your Nook, that rotates from portrait to landscape mode, and back. It also recharges your Nook, either while you're using it or when it's not in use. Plus it has built-in stereo speakers. Very cool! Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Cwbffw4Vgg&context=C366b622ADOEgsToPDskK1_gxyjaQnL0EnGcDKadmt 

Contributor
Rjs7
0 Kudos

Re: Docking / Recharging Station for Nook Color

That is awesome---I want one!!!!!

Frequent Contributor
Lulugirl28
0 Kudos

I agree!  Looks like a neat device. It seems odd to me that they aren't listing the price. Who would want to pre-order it without knowing the price of it?  I would like to get it but I bet it is expensive :smileysad:

Distinguished Bibliophile
bobstro
0 Kudos

I suppose we could opt to have it "flip" from even-to-odd page transitions and "slide" for odd-to-even! :smileyhappy: THAT would be "realistic". The good news is that these are things relatively easily added on once core functionality is achieved. Make the reader rock-solid first, then work on the gizmos! Please!

Contributor
Rjs7
0 Kudos

Correct me if I am wrong but, BN is not the one working on the dock.

Inspired Contributor
gkaiseil
0 Kudos

That is right. It also looks like B&N is not going to sell it.

You need to click on the link below the video to get an email notice of when it goes on sale.

Contributor
Kel1677
0 Kudos

That looks awesome!!!! I signed up for it. Can't wait to see how much it is lol

roustabout
0 Kudos

This, or something very like it, was mooted around in August or so.  Even now, the website says available for pre-order in January (rather than actually available in January.)

The video shows only stills;  I think we may be looking at an artists' conception in the video.  

If this is the one that was being mooted a few months ago, it looked at the time as if the thing used your regular NC cable to charge.  There was a hole though the armature fo your cable to plug in through.  

The perhaps aspirational rather than operational website for the outfit is

http://www.readerdock.com/ 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Wordsmith
SkinnyDennis
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

On the readerdoc.com page, note the pull-down for "your tablet": Kindle Fire, Kindle, Nook Color, Nook Tablet, Other.

And check this out, a poll on how much you'd pay.

http://polldaddy.com/poll/5752954/

And the petition

http://www.readerdock.com/index.php/i-want-my-nook-dock-petition/#.TwONbPLNmJ4

And back at the readerdoc.com page, check the last line of print at the bottom;

"Don’t fret Kindle Fire owners, ‘FireStation’ is on it’s way! Sign the “I Want My Kindle Fire Dock!” petition to be notified when it’s available."

We're getting ours before the kindling users. :smileylol:

My signature line is better than your signature line.
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Product Update: N-Station will be available for pre-order the last week of January 2012 and will ship mid-February.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
scosgt
0 Kudos

Do they make it for the HTC Flyer?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Well Feb. the 1st and not a peep about it. So thinking it was more of a concept than an actual product?

At least if actual product some updated info changing on front page of availability or delivery date?

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
mocha2009
0 Kudos

All the information is available at readerdock.com.  Pre-order is March 1-15, 2012 @ $54.99 (free shipping) and will ship March 20th.   Afterwards, its $59.99.

There's also a video as well as still shots of the product. It looks interesting and I would love to hear actual user reviews when it does come out.  Sound quality would be a biggie as there is virtually no sound on the NC as it stands now.

Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

While this does look interesting, read everything carefully and look at all of the photos carefully!

It does hold your NC in either orientation nicely, it does have speakers, but.................it uses your own USB cord and charger for the "dock" part.  Not really a integraded dock in the true sense of the word. To me, it seems expensive just to hold your dock with (probably) cheap speakers.

Just my 2cents worth, your opinion probably varies, so buyer beware!

bobstro
0 Kudos

I was originally enthused, but I am disappointed by the high price. Also, it appears you have to remove your device from any case before using. I had the same problem with stands for my Motorola Droid 2. If it's really just a prop and a set of external speakers, I think I'll pass.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Keystoneco wrote:

While this does look interesting, read everything carefully and look at all of the photos carefully!

It does hold your NC in either orientation nicely, it does have speakers, but.................it uses your own USB cord and charger for the "dock" part.  Not really a integraded dock in the true sense of the word. To me, it seems expensive just to hold your dock with (probably) cheap speakers.

Just my 2cents worth, your opinion probably varies, so buyer beware!If

Incorrect.
If you look at photo 6 of 13, you will see that it very definitely is an integraded dock. None of the photos show the dock using the NC cord and charger. There IS a cord in several photos but it is not the charger. It goes into the TOP of the NC which is where one connects earphones so I'd have to guess that is too hook the NC up to the speaker system.
Distinguished Correspondent
Keystoneco
0 Kudos

My apologies,

They have updated the design!  I was on the original panel of NC owners that had input into the original design and it has been updated since then.  Hopefully they listened to owners who asked for a fully integrated dock design.

If it does everything the photos show, I will probably be getting one to use with my bluetooth keyboard.

Thank you for your input!

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI
0 Kudos

I don't like the design. Since I purchased my iPad, I use my NC in the kitchen as a cookbook resource. I was looking forward to this dock, but for $55, I'll stick to the nook color box for my stand.
phoneboy
0 Kudos

My main concern is how well it plugs in. The mUSB on NC/NT can be a bit of a challenge sometimes. From reading posts on here I believe some NC/NTs are harder to plug into. IMO a better design would be a cord on the docking stn and easy access to plug it in

Guess I'll wait for the early adopters and go from there.

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

Personally, I like it. Considering what I spent for docking station(s) for my hubbies Iphone when they first came out, I find the price VERY reasonable. I think setting the price was the main reason for the poll they took earlier so I guess this price fell in with what people said they would pay and still make money for them. New products do have a lot of start up production costs to cover.

It looks very nice and I really like the dual orientation feature AND the speakers. Looks nice and sturdy as well, no worries about accidently knocking it off the stand or putting stress on the chord while trying to read it. I'm extremely clumsy. Anything I can do to protect my gadgets from myself is a plus. My NC snaps in and out of my cover pretty easily so I don't see it as a problem. The NC doesn't fit on the box stand very well in the cover either so I have to pop it out to use that and I live in fear of knocking it off. This will feel a lot safer, I think.

I'm looking forward to getting one.