Inspired Correspondent
Pie-Is-Tasty
0 Kudos

Does NST GlowLight Still Have Screen Problems?

I heard that the GlowLight has/had some "defects" in the screen. If I buy a new model now, does it have a chance of a defect?

Also, should I get the GlowLight now or wait until the holiday shopping season for the possibility that B&N might release a new eInk Nook (even though they usually release tablets in the holiday season)? I just don't want to get the GlowLight and then a new eInk Nook comes out shortly afterward.

"Life is sweet. I like candy." - Confucious :smileyhappy:
Contributor
JackB2398

Re: Does NST GlowLight Still Have Screen Problems?

I don't believe th NST Glowlight still has screen issues, but if I were you I wouldn't buy one just because the product has been out for a long time and is due for an update soon.

Inspired Correspondent
Pie-Is-Tasty
0 Kudos

Thanks for your answer, JackB2398.

But are you fairly certain that BN will release an update to the NST Glowlight soon? Because it seems as if now BN is more of a tablet company (tablets sell better) and Nook eInks are usually released in the spring/summer. BN has missed its eInk product release cycle for this year (it's already almost June). Finally, if the rumor of the update to the NST family on June 1 is correct (add web browser + email client), do you think that BN would update the NST?

"Life is sweet. I like candy." - Confucious :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

The rumor is that the NST/G will be updated, so if this is true, then the NST would be updated. 

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

Looking at recent customer reviews, it appears that the screen defect problem is still there.

Remember, though, you can always sell your NSTG on eBay when a new model comes out.  That eases the pain of the purchase.

Dave
flyingtoastr
Topics: 52
Kudos: 2,855
0 Kudos

FulltimeRVer wrote:

Looking at recent customer reviews, it appears that the screen defect problem is still there.

Remember, though, you can always sell your NSTG on eBay when a new model comes out.  That eases the pain of the purchase.

The process of laminating the diffusion layer has been improved since the first production run, but depending on the device you buy (and how long it's been sitting in a box since it was produced) it is still possible to get a defective unit.

It's covered under the warranty, so who really cares anyway?

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

flyingtoastr wrote:

It's covered under the warranty, so who really cares anyway?

I care.  I would imagine most people do.

I want to buy a device that works, that likely won't have problems, because I don't want to deal with problems.  My life is busy enough without high-maintenance electronics.  Yes, there's always a chance with anything I buy that something could be defective or could develop an issue down the line, but if a device is predisposed to have issues, I probably won't buy it.  So, warranty or not, it matters.