DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,240
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Does anyone use the side buttons?

Having gotten a bit used to the Touch and turning pages by just touching the edges, I don't find myself ever using the side buttons.  It's less effort to just touch the edges.

Does anyone else use the side buttons?

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Contributor
SingingRiver
0 Kudos

Re: Does anyone use the side buttons?

As I read most often with my nook in a waterproof case, heck yes. Every day! :smileyhappy:
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I tried them once when I first got my nook, just to see if they felt as hard to press as some people were saying (they were).  I haven't used them since, but as I'm getting a waterproof case for my nook I'll probably use them more often.

Singing River - Do they have a "break in" period where they get easier to push?

Singing River - Sorry I called you Fran!  I saw the icon and thought I knew who I was talking to.  Post edited!

Correspondent
ilexq
0 Kudos

Rarely, but yes. Usually when I need to do a fast-scroll through my library, since, you know, there's no useable shelving/folder system to eliminate that. :smileyfrustrated:

There have been one or two instances when I need to read completely one-handed and I've used the buttons for page-turning.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

Quite often, mostly to go back a page or two, and when I'm holding it with one hand.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

I've never touched the side buttons--it's just too easy to gently tap the edge of the page--it's an almost unconscious movement, nearly effortless.

Contributor
dynalmadman
0 Kudos

I recently bought the NST, previously I was doing all my reading on my ipad1. One thing I miss is being able to set the action for touching the left hand side of the screen. So you could set both sides to advance a page. Then whichever hand was holding the reader, it could turn to next page (if I needed the rare page backing, a left to right swipe would do that). Since you can't do that on the NST, yes I do use the left hand Next Page button quite often. Michael
keriflur
0 Kudos

dynalmadman wrote:
I recently bought the NST, previously I was doing all my reading on my ipad1. One thing I miss is being able to set the action for touching the left hand side of the screen. So you could set both sides to advance a page. Then whichever hand was holding the reader, it could turn to next page (if I needed the rare page backing, a left to right swipe would do that). Since you can't do that on the NST, yes I do use the left hand Next Page button quite often. Michael

When I'm holding the reader with my left hand I use my left thumb to swipe the page forward.  It works pretty well for me that way.

AlanNJ
Topics: 64
Kudos: 1,518
Solutions: 0

Yep.  Mostly when I'm lying in bed reading and I am petting the cat at the same time... :smileywink:

►Without order there is chaos◄
Distinguished Correspondent
northlite

[ Edited ]
Only when it freezes. Sometimes the screen becomes unresponsive. When that happens I can continue to read using the buttons to turn pages. It goes through spells of freezing a lot, then it won't for a while. When it's in a freezing spell those buttons are my best buddies.
My Nook Touch is named Buzz Lightyear! Together we go to infinity and beyond! B&N, please restore the ability to name our Nooks!
Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

AlanNJ wrote:

Yep.  Mostly when I'm lying in bed reading and I am petting the cat at the same time... :smileywink:

Hey, I resemble that! It's my favorite reading position -- one hand on the Nook, one hand on the cat. :cathappy:

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Scribe
frantastk
0 Kudos

I use them sometimes. So much that I'm glad they're there. I usually use the touch screen, but if I'm reading holding the reader in just my left hand I use the buttons (usually while holding a child in my lap). If I read holding it in just my right hand it's eaier to tap the screen.

I don't really notice how hard they are to press anymore. I know I was surprised how still they were when I got it. I'm not sure if they're easier to press or if I've just gotten used to it, though.

Distinguished Correspondent
RJR443
0 Kudos

Almost exclusively for fast page scrolling, either through my library or to back to my current page when I've backed up and forgottento bookmark before I did.  Other than that, the screen touch gensture has become so automatic that it's no more distracting to me than physically turning a page in a print book is.

flyingtoastr
Topics: 55
Kudos: 2,923
0 Kudos

I almost exclusively use the buttons on my NST. I've always liked having a tactile response when I turn pages.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

I almost always use the touch screen to turn pages, but I will use the buttons when I am reading while eating my lunch because I eat with my right hand.  At those times I will hold the Nook in my left hand and turn pages using the buttons.

bobstro
0 Kudos

I prefer to use them, but unfortunately, my nice leather case makes them hard to press, so I've fallen out of the habit. I do like using them for one-handed reading.

(Rooted, you can re-program them to do other things, which is also handy.)

MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Almost never.  The touch-screen page turn was one of my biggest motivators for moving up from the N1E.  I absolutely love it, can easily swipe my thumb across the screen to move forward or back.

Inspired Wordsmith
gstone
0 Kudos

It's personal preference.

My mom uses the page turn buttons exclusively. I never use them.

If the NST didn't have page turn buttons I would have purchased her a brand\model that did.

Contributor
Roam

All the time. Well the vast majority of the time. The good thing about the buttons being stiff is that I can hold the nook with my thumb over the page forward button and then a firm push will take me to the next page. No need to rearrange my grip to go to the next page.

Frequent Contributor
tonyabionda
0 Kudos

Use them all the time.  I miss them when I use my Nook Color for night reading.  I'm replacing the Nook Color with the NST with GL and one of the perks is having the buttons.