Distinguished Correspondent
Czechboy

Dolphin Browser HD is here!

A big step in the right direction B&N.  The Dolphin Browser was awaited by a lot of people.  It's nice to finally see it available for the nook, and for free no less.  Way to go.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
Frequent Contributor
MarvinQ
0 Kudos

Re: Dolphin Browser HD is here!

Nice, havent use it yet but i need to check it out!

Distinguished Bibliophile
phoneboy

I like it. No more scccrrrroooooling to the top to get to bookmarks and no more missed swipes on the bottom back bar. :smileyhappy:

Don 't interfere with somethin' that ain't bothering you none. ~Unknown
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

Thanks for heads up! Wouldnt have found it otherwise. No clue what category they put it under. Ended up doing a search for "Dolphin hd" to find it! Finally can organize my bookmarks! Whoo hoo!!!!
patgolfneb

I have used this browser on other devices, be sure to go through the settings, there are more options than with some browsers. Allows quote on this forum again, yea, and if this is a separate paragraph, that also.
New User
stevevol
0 Kudos

Dolphin HD is a big upgrade over the stock browser!  Much better than Puffin in my opinion. 

A few questions: Does anyone know what 'add-ons' are? And where to find them? Thanks!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Steve...is it faster than Puffin??

New User
stevevol
0 Kudos

It seems comparable so far.  Although I only used it briefly, mainly to check out features - gestures, bookmarks, how it loads pages and tabs etc. It's free though so check it out.

Frequent Contributor
MarvinQ
0 Kudos

Doreenpv wrote:

Steve...is it faster than Puffin??

It does seem faster!

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Thx Steve an Marvin. I have Dolphin HD on my Droid X. I have been pleased with Puffin, but I may give Dolphin a try to compare for myself.

Frequent Contributor
kalmore

Great job B & N. Hopefully this will be the first step to getting much better quality apps available on your device.

Nook Reader (Tablet) - 4.1.2 SD (Unfunctional)

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Congrats as CM7 my nook color to get alternate browswers. Which Dolphin HD is my browser of choice.

And just saw Google as released Chrome for android also. The more the merrier!

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Reisnice
0 Kudos

Thanks for alerting us. Just for kicks, I scanned through the 'new' apps list for it and got tired somewhere after 'Learn Punjabi'. As always, the search found nothing similar to 'Dolphin HD', or 'Dolphin Browser'. The add-ons might be nice - if we could get to the Android Market to load them. It will take a bit to get used to, but already feels more finished than Puffin.
Reisnice
0 Kudos

Unless there's an option I'm missing, it still won't show paragraph breaks here like Puffin did.
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

When I use my Xoom with Dolphin I can use paragraphs, but not with my nook. It appears to be because I am forced to use HTML to get the keyboard?

Czechboy
0 Kudos

patgolfneb wrote:

When I use my Xoom with Dolphin I can use paragraphs, but not with my nook. It appears to be because I am forced to use HTML to get the keyboard?

Exactly so.  You should be able to show paragraphs by typing in the <p> at the start of where you want a new paragraph to be.  For that matter, as long as you use html tags, you should be able to format it as you wish.  I don't really understand why the posts have to be in html, but at least it works.

nook Tablet - Running CM7

"From the moon we're comedy, from the moon we're really quite a treat."
HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:
Thanks for heads up! Wouldnt have found it otherwise. No clue what category they put it under. Ended up doing a search for "Dolphin hd" to find it! Finally can organize my bookmarks! Whoo hoo!!!!

Is there any way to sort bookmarks by name?
That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Distinguished Scribe
NookGardener

HumbleCorrespondent wrote:

NookGardener wrote:

For individual bookmarks, I haven't found it yet.  But it does sort FOLDERS either alpha or numerically.  I ended up creating folders like this so I could quickly access according to my prioritites. 

1 Weather

2 Daily News

3 Weekly News

etc.

Once you have imported your bookmarks and set up your folders try this.

Hit QUICK ACCESS, then BOOKMARKS, select a FOLDER.  You should see your list of bookmarks.  On the right hand side there is a symbol (sideways bracket?} Hold that symbol and slide your bookmark up or down to change the order that they appear.  (I guess if you didn't want folders, just sliding these around will work too.)  Does that help?

HumbleCorrespondent
0 Kudos

NookGardener wrote:

HumbleCorrespondent wrote:

NookGardener wrote:

For individual bookmarks, I haven't found it yet.  But it does sort FOLDERS either alpha or numerically.  I ended up creating folders like this so I could quickly access according to my prioritites. 

1 Weather

2 Daily News

3 Weekly News

etc.

Once you have imported your bookmarks and set up your folders try this.

Hit QUICK ACCESS, then BOOKMARKS, select a FOLDER.  You should see your list of bookmarks.  On the right hand side there is a symbol (sideways bracket?} Hold that symbol and slide your bookmark up or down to change the order that they appear.  (I guess if you didn't want folders, just sliding these around will work too.)  Does that help?

Thanks, that does the trick.  Although I use bookmark folders on my PC, I don't have as many bookmarks on my NC, so I don't use folders there.  Although a sort option would be nice, this manual method works fine.  It's not like add a lot of bookmarks every day.

I like this browser better than Puffin.  In addition to no Flash, I found the screen sensitivity was erratic.  Some links were hard to activate, others seemed to activate of there own accord, and tabs were hard to close.  I find the Dolphin browser to be dead on, whether I am zoomed in or out.  Things are also a lot quicker to get to than the stock browser, and once you find your way around, to me, it seems easier to navigate.

That's just my opinion, you can take it for what it's worth, or just leave it alone.
Contributor
janzin
0 Kudos

I agree this browser is much better than Puffin, much more responsive. Puffin never redrew smoothly and would sometimes not scale properly, or seemingly redraw on its own. Dolphin has lots of features that I've yet to figure out. The "gesture" looks like it could be useful. And of course, it has Flash!! So I won't have to keep toggling between browsers when I want to watch a video.

I did figure out that you can sort the bookmarks manually, by going into the bookmark menu (under "Quick Access") and dragging them into position.

But what I can't figure out is how to create new bookmark folders. ???

One other thing I can't figure out is how to easily switch between desktop mode and tablet mode. With Puffin and even the stock browser you could just go into the quick configure menu and switch. Here it seems to be buried and hard to find...there has to be an easier way. The main Dophin Feature page alludes to being able to do it with an add-on, but I can't figure out how--or even if--we can get the add-ons on the Nook.

Thanks for any help.