Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

Downgrade Nook Simple Touch firmware from 1.2.1 to 1.1.2

A month ago or so, my nook automatically upgraded me to firmware version 1.2.0 and then later to 1.2.1. Ever since then I've been mourning the loss of my page numbers in the table of contents and suffering from bad ghosting issues that weren't present before. I like the new dictionary but it's not enough to keep me from downgrading if I can figure out how. It's my understanding that there is no official way to go back to an earlier version, however, others on these forums have hinted that there are ways of downgrading. I would greatly appreciate it if someone could help me figure out how to get my old firmware back. Thanks in advance.
Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

Re: Downgrade Nook Simple Touch firmware from 1.2.1 to 1.1.2

If you're at least a little technically inclined you can follow the posts here and revert back to an earlier OS.  Keep in mind if you have the NSTG you will need a different file, if you have a NST you should be fine with the one linked to. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
bobstro
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Be sure to block over the air (OTA) automatic updates, or it may just update on you again without asking. I've kept mine at 1.1.2 for now.

Alternately, you could root and run a different reader. Mantano has no problems showing page numbers in the ToC, even with nested epubs. I intend to eventually update to 1.2.1 and do this as a work-around, since newer firmware may address other issues.

Mercury_Glitch
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

Be sure to block over the air (OTA) automatic updates, or it may just update on you again without asking. I've kept mine at 1.1.2 for now.

Alternately, you could root and run a different reader. Mantano has no problems showing page numbers in the ToC, even with nested epubs. I intend to eventually update to 1.2.1 and do this as a work-around, since newer firmware may address other issues.

I think the 1.2 1.2.1 updates did the following

ToC changes

Slightly enhanced page changes (?) some have reported it's a different look, others say it feels the same. 

Dictionary improvements

Wifi now has european channels

Maybe there's some under the hood stuff we haven't seen but it seems dubious.  Yet another reason B&N should put out proper version notes with each release.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
Inspired Contributor
SirLoyne
0 Kudos

I wanted to do the same thing. I found the answer how, but make sure you know that this will restorte your nook to its original state and firmware. This will delete everything. Make backups of books and screensavers.

Here's my post in another thread

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Simple-Touch-General/Anyway-to-get-rid-of-the-quot-Press...

For method #2 It says 6x, I had to do it 8 or 9, I don't remember... all I care is that it worked in the end.

Correspondent
FulltimeRVer
0 Kudos

bobstro wrote:

1.  How do you block OTA updates? I simply keep Wi-Fi turned off.  Is there a better way?  

2, I want to stay at 1.1.5 to keep the page numbers in the TOC.  When we get back to the States I plan to have B&N replace my NSTG (again) because of the screen defect.  I guess I won't be able to avoid updating at that point, huh?  If not, I'll root the replacement and try Mantano.

Dave
Correspondent
flfarber
0 Kudos

Can't you just restore your Nook to its factory condition...

Can't you just restore your Nook to its factory condition by turning it off and then turning it back on and holding down the two bottom keys on either side of the screen as soon as the boot animations starts. Note that this will completely wide your Nook and you will have to reregister. Also, it will probably jsut upgrade again the first chance it gets.

Fred

Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

Re: Can't you just restore your Nook to its factory condition...

I tried restoring it to factory default and it didn't work. It still went back to 1.2 (which was the latest update at the time). I have a copy of the old firmware but I thought that downgrading took more than just manually installing the firmware the way you do upgrades. Can you really just downgrade it by manually installing it?
Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

Re: Can't you just restore your Nook to its factory condition...

[ Edited ]
Never mind my above post. I was able to restore the firmware to the factory firmware using the power button method (it took more than six tries, though), however, I cannot for the life of me find an "airplane mode" setting to keep the Nook from updating again. I did turn Wifi off. Is that what people mean by airplane mode or is there some other setting I don't know about? Thanks.
Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

Thanks, SirLoyne. Your method worked for me. I'd done method three in the past and also ended up with the same software so I thought it couldn't be done. I'm back to 1.1.0 and will manually upgrade to the last firmware update before 1.2.
MacMcK1957

My experience with the methods listed (here, in case anyone's lost the link: http://nookdevs.com/Nook_Simple_Touch_restore_to_stock).  I recently had some issues with my Nook (wouldn't remember the page number if I was switching back and forth between multiple books) and used Method #3 to reset it.  It did not reset to the original software version; it was still on the latest software release, 1.2.1.  I had to re-register the device, recopy my sideloaded books and screensavers, and reshelve.  This method did reset everything and fix my problem.

In my experience, getting back to the original software took Method #2, and it seems to me, like Withkitten, I also had to go through the steps more than 6 times.

bobstro

Interesting that Nookdevs referes to "6 more times". I've always seen it referred to as the "8 failed reboots" method, and have used it myself. The hard part is that it's sometimes difficult to tell if you've caught it at the right moment, so it can be a frustrating process. It does work, though.

Contributor
witchkitten
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
I can confirm that method two of MacMcK1957's link does work. It did take more than six resets (I think it was 9) but my Nook Simple Touch was reverted to version 1.1.0 without any issues. Method three does not restore the original firmware. I then successfully updated to 1.1.2 from the link posted in another thread. Unfortunately, that link doesn't seem to work anymore. My Nook is now running 1.1.2 and I am incredibly happy. My page numbers in the TOC are back, the text is sharper, the text no longer comes close to overlapping with the page numbers at the bottom, my Nook now remembers what page number I was on when I leave a book, and I no longer have the odd ghosting issue that appeared after 1.2.0. I do miss the new dictionary and the ability to highlight words that have been hyphenated, but these are small issues compared to all of the problems that have been fixed. I never did find an airplane mode but turning off Wifi seemed to do that trick.
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

My NSTG is at the version before the update. I don't turn on wi fi. I sideload the books.
Inspired Scribe
kamas716
0 Kudos

Strayer wrote:
My NSTG is at the version before the update. I don't turn on wi fi. I sideload the books.

I turn on wi fi, but only long enough get my new purchases to download.

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Correspondent
Strayer
0 Kudos

How do you turn off updates? Someone said you could.
roustabout
0 Kudos

I flashed the overclock kernel on my NSTG some time back and have not been able to update since.

From what I'm reading, I'm not missing too much.

There is also a method using sqlite commands which I've never found works as well as making changes to the boot environment.  The tricky bit, of course, is being sure you know what you've changed and can change back or restore from a full backup in the worst possible case. 

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
New User
absoluteZero
0 Kudos

@MacMcK1957
&
@bobstro.

Thank you so so much and to the witchkitten for starting this thread.
I was able to reset to factory settings after '8' failed reboots.
I am very pleased to get back to it.
Apart from dictionary layout (btw the dictionary version is the same with both having 11th edition) nothing is better in 1.2.x. 1.1.2 is the best in my opinion. Sharp and crisp fonts and fast browsing.
Thanks to all helpers.
New User
McSusan
0 Kudos

Re: Downgrade Nook Simple Touch Currently Reading Page # and bookmark HOLD

I found I had the same problem several Nook owners had with the page # resetting to 1  on the Home Page Currently Reading spot.  The bookmarks just would not hold.  I just downloaded a software update 1.2.1  and the problem is fixed!   Just "google" Nook Simple Touch software updates. Follow the instructions. 

New User
Nekitosayuri
0 Kudos

Hi!!!!

I have the same problem. I hate the new software update, 1.2.1 and I want to downgrade to a previous on... hao can I do it?

Please help!!!

Thank you

I tried to download the previous but I don't find it!