New User
theSavallis
0 Kudos

Download MOVIES????

My wife and I are looking to buy a NOOk Color.  I like the idea of being able to read books, newspapers, and kids books for my daughter.  But we do travel alot and would also like to play movies for her (like Finding Nemo, disney type, etc).  Can you download and play full lenght movies on the NOOK Color??????  We are getting conflicting answers.  Best Buy Sales rep said NO.  Barnes and Nobles sales rep, and 1800-the-book said YES.  Barnes and Nobles on line chat tech rep said NO, then said YES. 

So confused!!  If you own a Nook Color, can you tell me if you can play full length movies on it or not. 

Thank you!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
KidneyKid

Re: Download MOVIES????

You can play movies. A great program to convert movies to watch on your Nook is DVD Catalyst. It costs $10 but all you have to do is put a dvd you own in your pc and it converts it to watch on your Nook. Well worth the money and very easy to use. Some people use handbrake which is free but im not sure how that one works. But yes you can definitely watch movies on the Nook.
New User
theSavallis
0 Kudos

KidneyKid,

Thank you!  I'm assuming you OWN a nook and have watched movies on the Nook Color.  Does the battery last long enough to watch a movie.  And how many movies can you store on it???  By puting the DVD on my comptuer, does that mean I can convert DVDs that I currently own??

Thank you again.  You have made me feel more comfortable than any of the rest of the actual support staff.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst

theSavallis wrote:

KidneyKid,

Thank you!  I'm assuming you OWN a nook and have watched movies on the Nook Color.  Does the battery last long enough to watch a movie.  And how many movies can you store on it???  By puting the DVD on my comptuer, does that mean I can convert DVDs that I currently own??

Thank you again.  You have made me feel more comfortable than any of the rest of the actual support staff.

The Nook can play movies. For an idea of what it looks like, you can visit the following link:

www.tools4movies.com/nook

If you visit the link on your NOOK, you can tap the MP4 links to stream (play while downloading) the clips right away, or, if you use your computer, you can download the zip files, extract the MP4 files from there and copy them to your NOOK.

In general, movies end up about 800-1000MB in size, so without adding an SD card, the 5GB space of the NOOK will fit 4 full movies with ease. The battery lasts long enough for at least a movie and a half.

Distinguished Correspondent
peppyauntie121
0 Kudos

theSavallis wrote:

KidneyKid,

Yes you can absoluely convert your dvds thru dvd catalyst onto NC. Its very easy and looks and sounds great on the NC. You can store the movies directly on the NC but i like to save the tv shows i convert onto a micro sd card. Then depending on the GB of the card you buy, you can have lots of videos and remove the card whenever you want, thus freeing up nook space for books, apps, personal documents, etc. One thing about the sd card. Make sure it is a Micro SD . Oh and i would get one with lots of gb!
Correspondent
susgod
0 Kudos

Thank you! I went to www.tools4movies.com/nook . They had a link to http://www.archive.org which offers free public domain classic TV shows. Some of them are in mp4 and other formats: http://www.archive.org/details/classic_tv

dvdcatalyst wrote:

The Nook can play movies. For an idea of what it looks like, you can visit the following link:

www.tools4movies.com/nook

If you visit the link on your NOOK, you can tap the MP4 links to stream (play while downloading) the clips right away, or, if you use your computer, you can download the zip files, extract the MP4 files from there and copy them to your NOOK.

-snip-
Distinguished Correspondent
JohnF76
0 Kudos

Quick question for DVDCatalyst...

You mentioned the NC had 5 gigs for movies...is this still true with the new partitioning? I thought the blue dot NC's only had 1 gig for non B&N stuff.

Scribe
dvdcatalyst
0 Kudos

JohnF76 wrote:

Quick question for DVDCatalyst...

You mentioned the NC had 5 gigs for movies...is this still true with the new partitioning? I thought the blue dot NC's only had 1 gig for non B&N stuff.

You are correct John, for some weird reason, B&N decided that 1 GB is enough for non-purchased stuff now. But there will be a lot less people who are running into storage issues for ther books though.

Frequent Contributor
cokids
0 Kudos

I own  NOok and have used DVD Catalyst to copy movies then watched them on Nook. My problem was that the Nook was not showing up on 'My Computer' in order to sideload movies. Worked sometimes and sometimes not. Finally deleted Nook from Device Manager and reinstalled drivers and it worked!!

Beth

movies are great on Nook! Go for it!

Reader
MeganF
0 Kudos

Hi i was reading your post about catalyst and was wondering what it is and where do i get it? Please help thanks and happy new year
Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

DVD Catalyst 4  will cost you $10 and is a great program.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Wordsmith
JinSC
0 Kudos

MeganF wrote:
Hi i was reading your post about catalyst and was wondering what it is and where do i get it? Please help thanks and happy new year

Megan,

dvd catalyst is the developer of a program sometimes referred to as "dvd catalyst" or "tools for movies."  The program allows you to take your dvds and process them into a format that is playable on your NC.  The end result is a 2 hour movie that takes up about 800mb of space.  The program includes formatting for numerous devices, I have used it on three different ones. 

dvd catalyst the person is a regular in this forum and provides excellent customer service if you pm him or e-mail him through his site. 

Jeremy

Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

theSavallis wrote:

... But we do travel alot and would also like to play movies for her (like Finding Nemo, disney type, etc).  Can you download and play full lenght movies on the NOOK Color??????

It's remarkably easy to stream movies on the Nook Color if you are in reach of a WiFi network with enough bandwidth ~ whether Netflix for ad free, Crackle for movies with ads, the new Ultraviolet system on Flixtser to stream digital versions of movies you've bought on BD/DVD, or etc..

The confusion about downloads is that, Yes, if you download a movie in the correct video file format, it will play on the Nook and, No, setting aside pirate sites, its not easy to find download-to-own sites that download files in a Nook format, and if you find one, its not likely to have an extremely large selection.

That's why all the discussion of handbrake / DVD catalyst ~ for off-net movie watching, buying the DVD's and converting them is more straightforward, at the present point in time.

Contributor
thumbslinger
0 Kudos

thanks for that 'archive' link! Some amazing vintage animations there.