Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

Drop Box - How Do You Use It for Transferring Files to Nook?

In another thread, someone asked about elctronic transfers and the response was they used Drop Box.  My question is - how is this done. 

Thanks.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Re: Drop Box - How Do You Use It for Transferring Files to Nook?

[ Edited ]

For me as wanted to add different files - Pics,Books,Music,Docs

Step 1: Setup a Dropbox account at their site.

Step 2: Create a Dropbox folder on your computer

Step 3: Download and Install Dropbox App and sign in.

Ready to go with it installed on computer then I can just drop files in the Dropbox folder and they will automatically be uploaded to my Dropbox account.

In fact I have Calibre book management database pointed to my dropbox folder. So anytime I add a book to calibre it will be automatically uploaded to dropbox and available for download from my dropbox app on my nook color.

Also can add docs,web links,etc to dropbox and then access them from nook color.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

Thanks for the info.  I went ahead and followed your instructions.  One last question, can you get library downloads this way with Calibre going to drop box or do you have to connect nook to computer?

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

I use both Dropbox and a specific App named Drop2Sync.  I like Drop2sync because it allows me to download to either the main memory or my SD Card.  It also prevents Dropbox from overwriting a document I have edited or changed on my Nook.  I like Dropbox because I have a shared folder that several people have access to for working on projects and sharing common documents.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Use Adobe Digital Editions desktop/program. Then you can drag the book, within Adobe Digital Editions, to the nook icon and it is side loaded to the nook. Or drag to your Dropbox folder for later downloading over wifi.

There is an Overdrive app for library books in the que waiting for B&N approval and then can download directly to the nook.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

thank you.  By the way, have you tried this method of obtaining library books?  Can't wait to give it a try!  With my computer, all the ports are located in the back and it is a chore to move it around.  I am hoping this will work and look forward to having overdrive kick in soon although there is some controversy about that at this time.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

catarific wrote:

thank you.  By the way, have you tried this method of obtaining library books?  Can't wait to give it a try!  With my computer, all the ports are located in the back and it is a chore to move it around.  I am hoping this will work and look forward to having overdrive kick in soon although there is some controversy about that at this time.

Nope haven't yet as still catching up on missed older books first half century of my life. Hope to catch up my second half century. But rolled my own CM7 card and am android land. And with my Aldiko reader app I can import library books. Or so they say tho haven't bothered trying yet. As really don't like being on a time limit with a book.

And wether thru an app or firmware upgrade. B&N has promised library books thru the Nook Color in early part of next year awhile ago. We are now in early part of next year and no word yet.

Inspired Bibliophile
compulsivereaderTX
0 Kudos

orb9220 wrote:

Use Adobe Digital Editions desktop/program. Then you can drag the book, within Adobe Digital Editions, to the nook icon and it is side loaded to the nook. Or drag to your Dropbox folder for later downloading over wifi.

There is an Overdrive app for library books in the que waiting for B&N approval and then can download directly to the nook.

Have you had luck using the dropbox to get your library books to your nook and you can still read it? I've gone to the site and they say that some people have done it, but I can't find out how exactly.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

compulsivereaderTX wrote:

orb9220 wrote:

Have you had luck using the dropbox to get your library books to your nook and you can still read it? I've gone to the site and they say that some people have done it, but I can't find out how exactly.

Hmmm as stated haven't done any library books yet. So haven't tried. Also I'm running dropbox app on CM7 side and not default B&N. And may never get to actual library books procedure. As have plenty for now.

Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

I'm biting the bit anticipating the Overdrive Nook app. Any idea when it'll actually be made available?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

I'm biting the bit anticipating the Overdrive Nook app. Any idea when it'll actually be made available?
Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. ~Groucho Marx
Distinguished Wordsmith
Froide
0 Kudos

Sorry for the duplication! The forum won't let me delete it. Anyone prefer Box to Dropbox?
Frequent Contributor
Zogman42
0 Kudos

Hi, with all of the USB ports being on the back of the PC, I can understand why this seems to be a great solution ~ and it seems like it is.

But just as community "FYI":  there are USB extension cables which can be purchsed.  They seem to cost more than they should for what you get, but like an electrical extension cord, they come in handy at all sorts of times! 

I  use one to bring a port to the front of my desk.. I added a (powered) 4 port USB hub and now have 4 open USB ports to use.

Just a another option.

JIm

Frequent Contributor
Claimdude
0 Kudos

I have OpenExplorer abnd Dropbox. I tried to move a PDF from DropBox with Explorer but it asks for the addess of explorer (some **/** type strings. Anyone know what to type into that field so that Explorer sees DropBox?

Thanks
Wordsmith
BruceMcF
0 Kudos

Claimdude wrote:
I have OpenExplorer abnd Dropbox. I tried to move a PDF from DropBox with Explorer but it asks for the addess of explorer (some **/** type strings. Anyone know what to type into that field so that Explorer sees DropBox?

Thanks

I have a rooted NC, and have installed the OpenIntents file manager which gives DropBox full file manager abilities from inside the export to SD card option, so I don't recall where DropBox stores it without a file manager app that helps it with the "Open" Intent. (BTW, this is on the to-do list for OpenExplorer, but as far as I know, its not yet done).

But, shooting a bit in the dark, have you already exported the file out of dropbox? When you do that, pick the SD card as the target, and look to see if it says what its default directory is.

If DropBox actually saves to the SD card, it will be underneath /mnt/media and if it saves in the internal memory, it should be underneath /mnt/media ~ so if it says something like saved to "Downloads" or "My Downloads", if instead of the full path, look underneath both of those two for the subdirectory with the matching name.