Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos
Accepted Solution

Dropbox Help

I've just started having a problem with books I'm reading via my Dropbox account.  It seems I can only access them when wifi is on.  They load into memory fine but when I move off the book - go to the Nook home screen - the book is gone and I have to go back into Dropbox to reload it.  My page is remembered when I reopen it.  

It doesn't show up in "My Files" or on the "Keep Reading" list or anywhere else.  I know in the past my Dropbox reads were on the home screen and in My Files, etc.  They also showed up in the Keep Reading list.  I had no problems with the last book from my Dropbox account I read which was just a few days ago.

Is anyone else experiencing this?   It's really frustrating not to be able to go back to my book without turning on wifi, starting the Dropbox app and reloading it into memory.  Can anyone help?  Thanks.

Contributor
BookBot

Re: Dropbox Help

You are probably "opening" the file from the Dropbox folder by touching the EPUB file... That's temporary...

You need to "Download" the book from Dropbox (press and hold, then Select "Download" from the popup window). Once you've downloaded the file, go to your Dropbox folder under My Files. You'll find the EPUB file.... touch to open.

After I open the book, I add it to my Now Reading shelf, so I can find it to reopen easily at a later time.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

Yep +1 Nail on the head. I always download the book from dropbox. As Dropbox is out there in internet world and I only go there when needed as like to keep my wifi off as much as possible for battery life.

Also since I use Calibre on my PC for my book organizing,tagging,covers,etc.. And use to hook my device up to it to down books to my nook. I copied my whole calibre library folder to Dropbox folder. Ran the setup wizard and had Calibre use the new location in my dropbox folder. Warning as will take a while depending on size of calibre library to upload to dropbox account. Mine was about 400megs and took a couple of hours before it was done. And right click your calibre library folder and select properties first for total size of folder. As the free dropbox account is only a 2gig account.

Now anytime I add books to Calibre they are uploaded to Dropbox ready for me download to my nook. So makes it easy not needing an actual connect to my pc. And anywhere I have a wifi connection can download whatever book I have in calibre as it's library is now on dropbox.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
http://www.flickr.com/photos/orb9220/
Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

@BookBot,  You are right, I was just opening the file from Dropbox.  However, you jogged my memory when you said to hold down my selection to download it.  That's exactly what has changed.  When I hold down my selection, the pop up menu only gives me the option to save it to either an sd card or email.  It used to save it to my Nook.  I never used an sd card in the past.  It always saved directly to my Nook.  I guess Dropbox has changed its program.  That mush have happened with the last Dropbox update.  I guess I'll have to start using an sd card.

Thank you for you help.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Many readers like Aldiko or Moon+ or many apps for that matter require a SD card to operate properly. As that is where they put there Data files and databases of files used by the app.

"All I Know is...Last Night the Tele-Tubbies came out of the wall and Held Me Down while they put Devices in my Head!"
Contributor
BookBot
0 Kudos

@kayokat... Just wondering if you have the latest Dropbox (v2.01). When I "hold" I get several options including simply "Download". If I select Download, the EPUB downloads to the NC, not to my SD card.
Frequent Contributor
kayokat

I have the same verson (v2.01).  When I "hold" I get the following options:  Share, Favorite, Delete, Rename and Export.  When I hit Export, I get these options:  Save to SD card, Email.

I think I used to get the download option you mention before the app updated.  Maybe the version number stayed the same and only changes to the Nook version of the app were made.  I made a CM7 card a long time ago.  Maybe I'll try it on the adroid side and see if it works differently.

This is very strange.  I wish I had the plain download option.  I preferred that much more than having to use a SD card.

New User
Chris440
0 Kudos

Does anyone know how to "log off" from the Dropbox app? It seems i am always logged on when I tap on the app...is this ok? Thank you!
Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

The constant log in is OK.  It is a design feature so you do not have to spend the time logging in every time you access your files.

Contributor
azk123
0 Kudos

kayokat wrote:

I have the same verson (v2.01).  When I "hold" I get the following options:  Share, Favorite, Delete, Rename and Export.  When I hit Export, I get these options:  Save to SD card, Email.

I'm a new NC user and just installed Dropbox.  I'm also limited to these options, which really disappoints me, since I don't have an SD card yet.  DB was also interfering with the book I'm currently reading...I purchased it right from B&N, but every time I tried to read it, DB wanted to handle the file.  I deleted it right away.  Good thing it was free.  :/

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

azk123 wrote:

kayokat wrote:

I'm a new NC user and just installed Dropbox.  I'm also limited to these options, which really disappoints me, since I don't have an SD card yet.  DB was also interfering with the book I'm currently reading...I purchased it right from B&N, but every time I tried to read it, DB wanted to handle the file.  I deleted it right away.  Good thing it was free.  :/

Well then you could email it to yourself I believe then sign in to your email and download it to your nook just fine without an SD card.

Frequent Contributor
kayokat
0 Kudos

Don't know why I didn't think of this myself!  Just tried it and it works.  Thanks.

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

I just downloaded it and it gives the choice of exporting to either My Media or SD card.  My question is - I exported a picture this way - but where does it go - I could not for the life of me find the file.

Inspired Correspondent
j-andersonjma
0 Kudos

If you purchase Drop2Sync you can direct the DropBox download to the folder you specify.

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

I did buy the app and tried it - pictures go to pictures - but wallpapers go to pictures too.  I did make a folder for wallpapers but it did not find that folder - instead it went to pictures.

Inspired Wordsmith
petesnook
0 Kudos

So the pictures you exported from dropbox to your NC went into your Pictures folder?  Interesting. I found them elsewhere.  See my response in one of your other threads:

http://bookclubs.barnesandnoble.com/t5/NOOK-Color-General-Discussion/Drop-Box-Images-Where-are-they-...

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Let me take that back - I used Dropbox in conjunction with Drop2Sync and my pictures went to pictures file but my wallpapers also went to pictures file.  And I did see your reply and am very much appreciative of your great detective work. 

I am glad I bought the Drop2Sync app and set that up because if files from Dropbox are going to an area inaccessible to find - that is a real problem. Drop2 sends them basically where I thought they would go except for the wallpaper which went to pictures.  I have not tried music or books yet.

I did what you said - went back to Dropbox and located two files that I had deleted (or thought I had) but found them there in a cache file (like a holding file).  Once I clicked permanently delete - they did disappear off the Nook.  I saw them while scanning through the Alarm Clock app and looked exactly where you said - and there they were.

I really want to avoid sideloading because all my ports are in the back of a tower and it is a horrendous job with all the wires to move the tower around to get to the port. 

Eventually I hope to get the nerve up to get an SD card.  I have heard good and bad things with them.  Can you recommend the correct SD card to purchase?

Inspired Scribe
orb9220

"I really want to avoid sideloading because all my ports are in the back of a tower and it is a horrendous job with all the wires to move the tower around to get to the port. "

Well you could install $10 usb extension cord or Usb hub then have usb ports available in front with an easier way to hook up the Nook.

My system has usb ports on front of computer I use for charging and transfering files. Also have a $16 multi-card reader installed in the disk floppy bay on the front for inserting SD cards of all sizes.Nook SD card and my camera cards,etc...

Gives me the most flexible setup.

Inspired Contributor
catarific
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I did buy the USB extension hub BUT it is still tooo short.  When I say the ports are in the back of this tower - I am not kidding - and unfortunately when we connected the extension it didn't really go far enough to really be able to connect the Nook.  I am going to get an SD card eventually - but even with that - I still won't have access to the ports.

Inspired Scribe
orb9220
0 Kudos

Hmmm only option then is a 10'-15' Male/Female usb extension or can install a card reader in an empty bay on front. Yep one of the reasons on my last build a system. Got a mini type case with front usb ports.

Can't believe how many usb ports I ended up using. Between usb external drives,Nook Color,Keyboard,Mouse,external Wifi,MP3 player,Camera,etc... The list goes on and at 8 or 9 devices now.