Contributor
tnolan13

Ebook website to avoid

I just wanted to let everyone know to stay far away from the website ebookbrowse.com. I went there to download a free copy of Angela's Ashes, by Frank McCourt, and I barely had it downloaded when my AV, Webroot, popped up with a notice that it had a malware. So I just wanted to warn everyone not to go there, who knows how many other books are tainted.

Bibliophile
5ivedom

Re: Ebook website to avoid

I guess that's one of the unexpected bonuses of downloading for free books that aren't free.

Distinguished Bibliophile
Mercury_Glitch

This just in, pirating ebooks may cause your computer to get a virus, news at 11!

I also hear there's a certain bay of pirates site that may or may not contain files that also contain bonus viri for your computer.

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

[ Edited ]
Guess what, dude? You want to pirate, then you deserve the virus.
Contributor
tnolan13

Well, I tried both my local libraries, and neither one had it. The only other alternative was spending $12 for it, and I need the $12 more for groceries, at today's prices. The reason I even mentioned it was in case there were others like me, who wanted to read this (or any) book but can't afford it, and their library doesn't carry it. I hope anyone who looks down on me for trying this method of getting a book, always has as much money as they want to buy them, without having to take away from necessities.

RHWright

Sorry. No sympathy on your defense of knowing theft. Food is a necessity. Books (as hard as it is for my bookaholic self to admit it) are not. Thanks for the heads up. We'll file it next to Nigerian princes emailing me gifts.
Contributor
tnolan13
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Sorry if I offended you, but I doubt free copies of anything would exist if I was the only one looking for them - I was only trying to help others. I will not post anymore warnings, and let any others find out for themselves like I did which sites to avoid. Subject closed.

Correspondent
Wulfraed
0 Kudos

No one offers stuff for free unless they can profit from it.

B&N "Free Fridays" typically offers older books that were the first in a series. The intent is that the reader will want to read the rest of the series and will pay for those books.

Illicit sites most likely make their profit by charging server fees to the uploaders; those uploaders in turn are relying on added payloads (virus, trojans) to make them money.

Baron Wulfraed
Inspired Scribe
kamas716

tnolan13 wrote:

Well, I tried both my local libraries, and neither one had it. The only other alternative was spending $12 for it, and I need the $12 more for groceries, at today's prices. The reason I even mentioned it was in case there were others like me, who wanted to read this (or any) book but can't afford it, and their library doesn't carry it. I hope anyone who looks down on me for trying this method of getting a book, always has as much money as they want to buy them, without having to take away from necessities.

I suppose you shoplift, too.  Sorry dude, but you're not likely to get any sympathy from anyone for stealing. 

http://www.goodreads.com/kamas716
Mercury_Glitch

kamas716 wrote:

tnolan13 wrote:

I suppose you shoplift, too.  Sorry dude, but you're not likely to get any sympathy from anyone for stealing. 

Reminds me of the burglars who, upon injuring themselves trying to rob someone, turn around and try to sue them. 

The Wheel weaves as the Wheel wills, and we are only the thread of the Pattern.
keriflur

tnolan13 wrote:

Sorry if I offended you, but I doubt free copies of anything would exist if I was the only one looking for them - I was only trying to help others. I will not post anymore warnings, and let any others find out for themselves like I did which sites to avoid. Subject closed.

Oh, it's the "but others are doing it too" defense.  Well, poor morally deficient you, who can't tell right from wrong, other folks have you confused.  Well then, let me be clear so that you don't get confused.

PIRACY IS THEFT.

Clear enough for you?

If your library doesn't have what you want, READ SOMETHING ELSE.

Contributor
tnolan13
0 Kudos

Had I known my comment would cause so much moral indignation, I would never have posted it. Forgive me for thinking I could relax and just post what I thought. It won't happen again.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Did you try getting a printed copy? You might have had to wait for it, but I'm guessing the libraries have printed copies.
Contributor
tnolan13

I would have tried for a printed copy but somehow they never get read. I'm more likely to pick up my Nook than I am a printed book. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Wordsmith
Sardonicus

Feedback reality to avoid?

tnolan13 wrote:

Had I known . . . Forgive me for thinking I could relax and just post what I thought. It won't happen again.

:smileysurprised:

Actually, Tnolan, you can relax and just post what you think.  Understand, though - others can also relax and just post what they think.

There's no rule that says you have to like what they post

about what you thought. 

Communication is like that.

:smileyindifferent:

The people who live in a golden age usually go around complaining how yellow everything looks.

- Randall Jarrell

Inspired Contributor
emmyk

Tnolan:

Thanks for taking the time to post this info.  Appreciate it.

BN_AlexG
Topics: 68
Kudos: 519
Solutions: 41
0 Kudos

This message has been moved for Violation of Community Guidelines.

bobstro

A good site for malware distribution, no doubt.

MacMcK1957

maramai wrote:

:womanlol:   I have been using this <URL removed> for many days without any problem. First day of my visiting this site I had downloaded a fantastic book. When I was visiting this book list, i saw most of the books was my choosen. after all I downloaded many books. most of the book was in .PDF format.  In my view it is good site.

Hmmmm... A brand new username with terrible English touting an anonymously registered website full of amazingly bad English.  Why does that pattern seem so familiar?

bobstro

I'm reporting it as spam.