Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Engadget article on Nook video store

A little more detail about the upcoming video store. It mentions new video app will be available for other devices. http://www.engadget.com/2012/10/30/nook-video-catalogue-expansion/#continued
Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

Re: Engadget article on Nook video store

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG

I saw this press release yesterday.

I think those reviews that list as a negative that few movies are available missed this . They also rarely take into account the Blue Ray accessibility.

I also saw a negative about fingerprints on the screen????? What the ipad and fire are fingerprint resistant... I think not!
Wordsmith
LectorGS
0 Kudos

@MusicmanGG

I think the finger prints are not a negative when it comes to the Kindles.  They are not finger print resistant either.  Good observation!

Lector GS
Bibliophile
5ivedom

Does anyone else get the feeling the Press and Main stream blogs are more interested in getting you to buy what they THINK you should buy, rather than what's the best choice for you.

One example is with the iPad Mini reviews.

Now ALL the sites and blogs are writing things like:

It just fits in your hand.

It's the right size.

It makes the iPad seem too large.

And these SAME sites 2 years ago when Nook Color first came out were all complaining about not having enough screen size and it being a tweener.

They continued with that same '7" is not a good size' mantra even as Nook and Nexus 7 and Kindle Fire sold millions.

Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

I went ahead and registered our UV digital copies; has anyone heard when B&N anticipates the linkage will be enabled? As of right now, it's not. I'm assuming it will require a software update.

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat

Does anyone else get the feeling the Press and Main stream blogs are more interested in getting you to buy what they THINK you should buy, rather than what's the best choice for you.

Yes they do. It seems that they must be getting kickbacks from Apple and Amazon some days. Nook Color came first! The Fire is just a copy after Bezos found out that people did want to read on a color screen.

Auntykatkat                 

Distinguished Correspondent
auntykatkat
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

I went ahead and registered our UV digital copies; has anyone heard when B&N anticipates the linkage will be enabled? As of right now, it's not. I'm assuming it will require a software update.

I am not an expert, but seeing something on the website about Brave available on 11/13/12. So maybe you don't have long to wait.

Auntykatkat

Inspired Correspondent
MusicmanGG
0 Kudos

I saw in your settings a UV option. Have you set it up from there? I don't have any so i can't try it.
Bibliophile
laurieb52
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

@ Musicman...when you try to set up the UV link option on the HD tablet, it says "coming soon".

@Katkat.... Brave and other videos are already available for purchase and rental on B&N through HD+ and HD. The UV option is for digital copies of DVD's you already own; the UV registration number is on the DVD (for recently purchased DVD's). You have to set up an account online at UltraViolet, register the digital copies according to the instructions on your various DVD's, then link your account to your Nook HD, similar to linking your facebook or twitter accounts. Under "Settings" on the HD device, on the same page as the adobe digital editions registration link, is the place to link your UV account, but the feature says "coming soon". 

Life's a chair of bowlies...and it's all about Plan B!
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

Good to know:-)
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV
0 Kudos

Hearing rumors of everything being up and running by the Holidays.... But, no actual date yet
Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV

If you think about it, if this is all they can come up with as being a negative..., well, you kind of have to laugh at this!  I have this at the very top of my holiday list! I have been playing with the new HD's since they came out on 11/1 and they are amazing! The screen is so crisp and clear.... I downloaded a movie and was mesmorized by the screen it was that beautiful!  Any touch screen that doesn't have a screen protector on it will get fingerprints on it....my friend has a Kindle Fire and it looks like "fingerprint central" 

Inspired Correspondent
emtgirlCV

Absolutely! I kind of feel that they want you to join their favorite "team" . They obviously don't know the Nook product or their services very well then:-( fingerprints on the screen, oh.come.on. That's all you've got! 

Bibliophile
5ivedom
0 Kudos

AuntyKatKat, emtgirlCV,

I've noticed that recently there seems to be a double standard.

Surface and Nook HD and other tablets are getting hammered by the main stream press, for all sorts of strange reasons - like the fingerprints thing you mention (which all Tablets have).

And at the same time iPad Mini doesn't get any mention of no Retina screen and high price.

After seeing

1) A report of how Android Tablets did very well in last quarter.

2) Playing with Nook HD+.

3) Playing with Surface Tablet.

It seems to me that Apple's days of domination in the Tablet Market are done.

Hearing lots of people say that with Office support the Windows 8 Tablets become their first choice.

And anyone who takes a look at the $269 Nook HD+ screens (and the $199 Nook HD screen) and then still buys the iPad Mini for $329. Well, it must be for some reason like keeping their Apple iStore content or something.

Can't see anyone choosing to pay more for what is not the best small Tablet. Even Nexus 7 is better in lots of ways than iPad Mini.

Inspired Correspondent
Nom-de-Nook
0 Kudos

5ivedom wrote:

AuntyKatKat, emtgirlCV,

I've noticed that recently there seems to be a double standard.

Surface and Nook HD and other tablets are getting hammered by the main stream press, for all sorts of strange reasons - like the fingerprints thing you mention (which all Tablets have).

And at the same time iPad Mini doesn't get any mention of no Retina screen and high price.

After seeing

1) A report of how Android Tablets did very well in last quarter.

2) Playing with Nook HD+.

3) Playing with Surface Tablet.

It seems to me that Apple's days of domination in the Tablet Market are done.

Hearing lots of people say that with Office support the Windows 8 Tablets become their first choice.

And anyone who takes a look at the $269 Nook HD+ screens (and the $199 Nook HD screen) and then still buys the iPad Mini for $329. Well, it must be for some reason like keeping their Apple iStore content or something.

Can't see anyone choosing to pay more for what is not the best small Tablet. Even Nexus 7 is better in lots of ways than iPad Mini.

I agree with you except where you said reviewers aren't mentioning the iPad minis lack of retina display and high price.  Every single review I have read has absolutely hammered the iPad mini for the screen and said the high price is only worth it if you want access to the eco system of tablet apps.