Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

Error Dialog: User Not Activated

I have had my Nook SImple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Re: Error Dialog: User Not Activated

CateYuk wrote:

I have had my Nook SImple Touch for about a year now, and I have been using Adobe Digital Editions without a problem. Now, all of the sudden, Barnes and Noble updated my software and I can't read any of my ADE books!! It just says "Error Dialog: User not activated" every time I click on them. I have looked at many other websites and I have tried plugging my nook in to my computer and reauthorizing it, reauthorizing my computer, deleting the digital editions file and .adobe-digital-editions file, redownloading my books, turning my nook off and on, crying, and screaming. The weird thing is, in all the instructions, it says a pop-up box will come up when I delete the files, but it never does. Is that normal? I always have to do it manually by clicking on the gear. I even made sure I "unhid" all the hidden files. I HAVE DONE EACH OF THESE AT LEAST 5 TIMES AND THEY NEVER WORK!!! HELP ME, PLEASE.

Also, a lot of the websites say to make sure your Barnes and Noble ADE I.D. is the same as the one on your ADE computer I.D.. Is the B&N ADE I.D. different from just the Barnes and Noble ID? Becasue I have been using my sisters email for my computer ADE and my email for the B&N I.D.. Are they supposed to be the same? If so, how come I was able to use it without a problem before?? I tried reauthorizing ADE with my email, because I also have an ADE account with my email, but then it wouldn't let me redownload my books onto the new account. Does this mean I have to change the ADE computer I.D. and wait until my books are available again to read them? Is that the way to fix it? UGH!

Help is much appreciated.

P.S. I have ADE version 2.0

Did you delete the digital editions folder and .adobe folder from the Nook or the computer?  You need to delete them both from the Nook.  Your ADE ID and your BN ID are different.  The BN ID is used to log into the BN site, the ADE id is an Adobe ID.  They do not need to be the same.  If you've been using your sisters email, you need to continue using it, you can't transfer the books to another user ID.

After you delete the two folders from the Nook, you need to properly eject the Nook from the computer and close ADE.  Open ADE and connect the Nook, you should get a window asking you to authorize the device.

Did you follow these instructions?

1. Go to “My Computer” (or the equivalent on your PC or Mac) and click on the Nook drive.
  2. Find and delete the “.adobe-digital-editions file.  (I copied my digital editions folder to my PC and then deleted it from the Nook, in addition to delete the .adobe ID.)
  3. Close ADE
  4. Restart ADE
  5. Your Nook should now be visible to ADE, if not
  6. Go back to the Nook drive
  7. Find the “Digital Editions” file and delete it
  8. Close ADE
  9. Restart ADE

10.  Nook will be visible

11.  Click “Authorize Device”

Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

GAH!

I did all your instructions, which by the way have already been tried, again and it still DIDN'T WORK!

I have no problem getting it authorized (a pop-up box still didn't come up) but even though it is authorized, it still says "user not activated"!!

New User
Memaw2Wm
0 Kudos

Whew, this worked for me with the addition of ejecting my Nook after deleting the two files, then opening ADE, then plugging the Nook back in. 

dbe
Reader 2
dbe

I had this issue as well and reauthorizing alone didn't help.  Here's what I did to get this to work (the first part of this is going to look very familiar...keep reading!!):

1) plug in your nook via USB and delete the digital editions folders.

2) properly eject and unplug your nook from your computer.

3) uninstall ADE and then reinstall ADE from the website (surprise! there is a 2.0 version out there...this is the underlying issue, i think)

4) delete any library books from ADE but don't return them (right click on the books and say remove from library  don't use the return feature.  if you return them, you'll have to reborrow.  deleting them doesn't do anything except dissassociate them from ADE. i read somwhere that the next step wipes out the lending info from ADE, so i did this just in case that meant it would return my items.  this step may be entirely unnecessary, but better safe than sorry).

5) once you open the new version of ADE, hit control+shift+d.  it will ask you if you want to erase your previous authorization FOR YOUR COMPUTER. you do, so say yes.  once you remove your previous authorization for your computer, then go to help...authorize computer.  put in your adobeID information.  this will reauthorize your computer to use ADE.

6) plug in your nook via USB.  once you see it appear in the ADE bookshelves, clik on the little gear icon (settings) and click on authorize device.  it'll reauthorize your nook with the new nook software version and the new ADE software version.

7) redownload your library books (if you followed step 4) and transfer them to your nook as usual.

hope these extra steps are what you needed to get it to work!

New User
EllMacSee
0 Kudos

Just tried this method. Did not work.
Reader 2
glow-worm
0 Kudos

this method worked for me
"Glow-worm"
Distinguished Correspondent
msmoonlite
0 Kudos

pRe: Error Dialog: User Not Activated

It worked for me.

Contributor
lfeuln

Re: pRe: Error Dialog: User Not Activated

FYI for those on Macs - you must delete ".adobe-digital-editions" IN ADDITION to the Digital Editions folder, however this file is hidden!!!

I went to a PC to delete. If you don't have one, you'll need to use the terminal to view hidden files.

Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

I DON'T GET IT!

I DID EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND IT . . .

didn't work.

I think I'll just crawl in a hole now and cry my eyes out.

Thanks for trying.

Does anybody know a way to contact ADE and ask them how to fix this problem?

New User
EllMacSee
0 Kudos

Re: pRe: Error Dialog: User Not Activated

This worked for me! Finally! Thank you!
Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

If I were to return my books, connect my ADE with a different I.D. and get my books again when they become available again, would that work?

Frequent Contributor
geertm

CateYuk wrote:

GAH!

I did all your instructions, which by the way have already been tried, again and it still DIDN'T WORK!

I have no problem getting it authorized (a pop-up box still didn't come up) but even though it is authorized, it still says "user not activated"!!

If you do not get a pop-up box in ADE asking you to authorize your NST that means somehow you did not remove the two ADE folders correctly. ADE still detects an authorization somewhere.

If you do not mind dowloading all your B&N content again you could use the "erase and deregister" option in the settings of the NST (make sure you have a backup of all sideloaded content).

This option will delete all data on your Nook, and I assume this will also remove the two ADE folders.

After using this option you will have to register your NST again, and you will have to download all your B&N content again.

After all this when you connect the NST to your PC running ADE you should get the pop-up box asking you to authorize the NST.

New User
SJS14
0 Kudos

This helped me thank you sooooo much!!! i was freaking out a little.

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

CateYuk wrote:

I DON'T GET IT!

I DID EVERY SINGLE ONE OF YOUR INSTRUCTIONS AND IT . . .

didn't work.

I think I'll just crawl in a hole now and cry my eyes out.

Thanks for trying.

Does anybody know a way to contact ADE and ask them how to fix this problem?

Go to the Adobe site.  It's adobes software, but be warned they tend to less than helpful. You should also search their forums for this problem.

Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

TO GEERTM:

When you say, "This option will delete all data on your Nook," Do you also mean the books I've bought at B&N or just the ebooks i've downloaded?

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

CateYuk wrote:

TO GEERTM:

When you say, "This option will delete all data on your Nook," Do you also mean the books I've bought at B&N or just the ebooks i've downloaded?

B&N books and sideloaded books will both be deleted from the device.

Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur
0 Kudos

geertm wrote:

CateYuk wrote:

TO GEERTM:

B&N books and sideloaded books will both be deleted from the device.

If you have books on an SD card, they will likely NOT be erased, but I would eject the card and remove it from the device, just to be on the safe side.

Contributor
CateYuk
0 Kudos

Well, I don't think I wanna delete all the books I've bought also. . .

New User
Rowergirl25
0 Kudos

Urgh, I thought I'd tried everything - this worked great.  Thanks so much for the step by step!