Reader
WusteHase

Extreme lag in cover-browser library view (many sideloaded books)

[ Edited ]

Maybe someone can finally help me out with this issue. I've been scouring the web looking for help but it doesn't seem anyone else is have the same issue as me.

This is what's happening:

I'm currently deployed, so I brought a large number of ebooks on my SD card to keep me occupied. The problem I've having is that when digging through my library in the cover view, it starts lagging very badly once I get up towards the 230th page of the cover view. Anything between the first page and page 234 of the cover browser loads very quickly, as expected. But anything past that 234th page, and it takes a good 10-15 seconds to load a page, and trying to skim by holding down the hard button results in the browser freezing/force closing.

If I use the title-only option for the library browser, I can quickly skim my entire library, no matter what page.

I know some of you are thinking "Why doesn't he just use the title-only option all the time then?" And I understand your point, it's just that I'd really like to be able to use my cover browser (this many books and I can't read their descriptions at all; sometimes it's hard to decide what book to read based simply on it's title, and it's easier to identify sequels with the aid of a cover).

I've tried removing some of the books on the 233rd/234th/235th pages, to see if one of them was causing the problem. I've also tried cutting a large chunk of my library from page 200 to page 300, to see if that would speed things up. So far, nothing I've tried has worked, so I've come here to ask if anyone else has had experience with this issue, or if they know how to remedy it. I appreciate any help.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

Re: Extreme lag in cover-browser library view (many sideloaded books)

I'd guess that very few folks here have enough titles on their NSTs to replicate that issue. If I were you, I'd post it on the NOOK Simple Touch Issue Reporting board, where it may eventually get attention from the developers.

Thank you for your service to the nation. It's good to hear that the NST helps while you're away from home. I wonder whether B&N would consider donating devices loaded with books to the armed services. (Anyone listening?)

Please visit me on Goodreads. Currently reading:
Journey Into Now by Leonard Jacobson
Inspired Correspondent
CyborgQueen
0 Kudos

Sun_Cat wrote:

I'd guess that very few folks here have enough titles on their NSTs to replicate that issue. If I were you, I'd post it on the NOOK Simple Touch Issue Reporting board, where it may eventually get attention from the developers.

Thank you for your service to the nation. It's good to hear that the NST helps while you're away from home. I wonder whether B&N would consider donating devices loaded with books to the armed services. (Anyone listening?)

I second that...

Reader
WusteHase
0 Kudos

I appreciate the sentiments, and I'm happy to be out here. I realized there was a "support" forum shortly after I posted this originally, and had a Simpson moment and went "D'oh!" Would a mod mind moving this to the proper forum please? I don't want to cross post.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

WusteHase wrote:

I appreciate the sentiments, and I'm happy to be out here. I realized there was a "support" forum shortly after I posted this originally, and had a Simpson moment and went "D'oh!" Would a mod mind moving this to the proper forum please? I don't want to cross post.

The mods aren't very active here, and I was actually suggesting the Issue Reporting board rather than the Support board. In Issue Reporting the requirements are more structured (see the right-hand sidebar when you're in that board). It wouldn't be considered a cross post, and it would be more likely to reach the developers' attention. The Support board is mainly peer support.

Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

My guess would be that you're just really pushing the envelope beyond what anyone expected to be stored on a Nook.  Be grateful that the list option works.  You may just have to accept the fact that the 1400th (!!!) book can be difficult to get to in the cover view.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat

MacMcK1957 wrote:

My guess would be that you're just really pushing the envelope beyond what anyone expected to be stored on a Nook.  Be grateful that the list option works.  You may just have to accept the fact that the 1400th (!!!) book can be difficult to get to in the cover view.

My guess is the same. Maybe an image buffer is filling up.
The NST can accept a 32GB microSD card, easily room enough for 50,000 - 100,000 epub books. Yes, I know that's more than any 10 people can read in a lifetime. But if the device can support it, the software ought to be designed to handle it more or less gracefully.
(Another example of where the software doesn't handle more than a few dozen books gracefully is the much-maligned shelving feature. The designers were decidedly not thinking big.)
I have a wonderful mental picture of 10 NSTs, each loaded with 100,000 public domain classics, constituting the high-school library of a village so remote it has no Internet access but does have enough electricity to charge the devices once a week.
Wordsmith
Fred011

Sun_Cat wrote:

Sun_Cat,

Kudos to you for both recognizing the service of one of our country's best, and for an excellent suggestion that I would hope B&N, Amazon and others would strongly consider.

Distinguished Scribe
Sun_Cat
0 Kudos

Fred011 wrote:
Sun_Cat,

Kudos to you for both recognizing the service of one of our country's best, and for an excellent suggestion that I would hope B&N, Amazon and others would strongly consider.

Thank you, sir! I hope so too.