Contributor
ricci427
0 Kudos

Feeling Ripped off by Nook Tablet

does anyone else who bought a Nook Color feel just a little ripped off, Barnes and Noble do what should of been done in the first place and open the Nook Color platform to be used as a tablet.

Seems to me that the Tablet, is a Nook Color being run without restrictions, and in a slightly different colored housing.  Why would any Nook Color owner be excited by the tablet, we are being ripped off, the color is capable of the  same as the tablet if they upgraded the software....in fact BN shouldn't release a new product the should of upgraded all nook colors, but then it wouldn't of been a big press announcement coming right after the kindle fire.

Remember when apple dropped the price of I-phones, and everyone complained, this seems not te same but similar, I spent 249 bucks on my nook color, and less than six months later it is replaced because of BN poor strategy, the could of released the tablet instead of the Nook Color a yr ago.

Don't be fooled people, if you are a current owner of a nook color, you and I are being RIPPED OFF !!!!!

Everyone should mail and complain to BN management.

Distinguished Scribe
normysmom

Re: Feeling Ripped off by Nook Tablet

To put it plainly...nope.
Nothing like a fire, a cat and a good Nook!
Frequent Contributor
efeigenbaum

Wow, build a bridge and get over it.

Frequent Contributor
spud357c

Whow...that's like saying everyone who bought a big screen TV should feel ripped off because some of them are now 3D.

Face it technology changes - get over it and enjoy the best reader on the market today.

Contributor
rlhendrick
0 Kudos

Its no different than going out and buying a new laptop or personal computer and then the company coming out wtih a new and better model a few months later. That's the nature of the world of electronic devices. Be happy that you have the wonderful device you do. Barnes and Noble doesnt owe you a thing. You bought the NC because of what it was when you purchased it, not because of possible things that would come out later.

Frequent Contributor
fenderbender

Don't be fooled people, if you are a current owner of a nook color, you and I are being RIPPED OFF !!!!!

It is easy to feel the way you do about this but that (unfortunately) is the world of electronics. That is how the money keeps coming in. People buy an item and then the new verson comes out and we have to upgrade to it if we want it. There are enough people in the world who want the new version enough to to keep the cycle going.

Having said all that, you may want to wait for the 1.4 upgrade to the NC before you do anything drastic. According to the articles and even the BN website, the firmware update will put the NC almost on par with the new tablet (other than the faster processing power of the tablet).

Honestly I think we all will be quite suprised on how different it will be.

Just my opinion though

FB

Inspired Contributor
slic2007
0 Kudos

Interesting: You registered with this site on January 19th, 2011.  Does that mean you contemplated for 5 months before buying your NC?  If you wanted a tablet that bad, you should have bought one.  I'm amazed at how many people try to save a few bucks by buying something they don't really want.

The NC is a GREAT reader with the added bonus of being able to run applications, play music, display pictures, and cruise the Internet.

Distinguished Scribe
schatzieWI

I bought a nook, then a nook color and now, an iPad. Do I wish I had purchased te iPad from the beginning? Sort of do, but then, I would have had an iPad 1. No matter what you buy, there is always something better coming. I feel ripped off that I bought my daughter an Epson 256k computer in 1986. That thing cost me $1200.
Contributor
ricci427
0 Kudos

The technology didnt change, the tablet is simply an unlocked nook color !!!!

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

The problem here is not just the OP's attitude, but that every verifiable claim made in the post is false. The next update for the NC will purportedly bring the two devices in sync in terms of software, and there are some very significant differences in terms of hardware. If B&N went wrong, it was in overestimating their target demographic's capacity to recognize the benefit of a dual core processor and double the RAM. 

Scribe
dfehling

ricci427 wrote:

does anyone else who bought a Nook Color feel just a little ripped off, Barnes and Noble do what should of been done in the first place and open the Nook Color platform to be used as a tablet.

Seems to me that the Tablet, is a Nook Color being run without restrictions, and in a slightly different colored housing.  Why would any Nook Color owner be excited by the tablet, we are being ripped off, the color is capable of the  same as the tablet if they upgraded the software....in fact BN shouldn't release a new product the should of upgraded all nook colors, but then it wouldn't of been a big press announcement coming right after the kindle fire.

Remember when apple dropped the price of I-phones, and everyone complained, this seems not te same but similar, I spent 249 bucks on my nook color, and less than six months later it is replaced because of BN poor strategy, the could of released the tablet instead of the Nook Color a yr ago.

First of all - no. I don't ever feel "ripped off" when newer technology comes out. If you've been around at all for the past 30-40 years, you know that's just the way things work.

Secondly - you are way off-base when you say that the NookTablet is a NookColor run without restrictions. Where did you get that? It will have exactly the same operating system once the 1.4 update is available for the NC next month. It will do all the same things - the difference is in the hardware. They just simply made it better, faster and with more storage. The NT will NOT be an open Droid tablet able to do everything a Galaxy, for example, will.

And third - they couldn't have come out with the NookTablet a year ago because they didn't have the technology then! They've been working on it for the past year. And I applaud them for making such nice advancement in the technology and software AND making the update available for NookColor owners. 

Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read. ~Attributed to Groucho Marx
Contributor
ricci427
0 Kudos

To Slic2007,

Yes I registered in Jan, and I bought my first NC in Jan, and I bouight a second one as a gift, your point in my registration date is what exactly?

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

If you'd never bought the NC but waited for the Tablet, I have no doubt that you would whine next year because they upgraded to a Tablet 2.  Let's look at some of your gripes:

>> Seems to me that the Tablet, is a Nook Color being run without restrictions<<

Although I plan to buy a Nook Tablet sometime next year, I should point out htat it is NOT "without restrictions."  So if it makes you feel a little less "ripped off," relax:  They get the exact same app marketplace that you get. Nothing more. Does it please you that they will be just as "ripped off"?

In fact, I would contend that in one very important way, the Nook Color owner is better off than the Tablet owner.  You have the ability to easily root your Nook or flash a new Rom to get full access to the Android system and Android marketplace.  There are some very serious questions about whether this will be possible on the Nook Tablet (One analyst I read yesterday highly doubts that Barnes & Noble can sell such a high-end tablet at $249 at a profit.....which means they need to keep everyone on the stock interface and not allow rooting).

>> Seems to me that the Tablet, is a Nook Color being run without restrictions the color is capable of the same as the tablet if they upgraded the software..<<

If you had done any research, you would know that the Nook Color is about to get its most significant software upgrade yet, in time for the holidays.

>>..in fact BN shouldn't release a new product the should of upgraded all nook colors, but then it wouldn't of been a big press announcement coming right after the kindle fire.<<

OR they can do what they did.....BOTH.  They announced a major software upgrade for the Nook Color, a new product called the Nook Tablet, and aprice reduction on the Color.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

taosaur wrote:

The problem here is not just the OP's attitude, but that every verifiable claim made in the post is false. The next update for the NC will purportedly bring the two devices in sync in terms of software, and there are some very significant differences in terms of hardware. If B&N went wrong, it was in overestimating their target demographic's capacity to recognize the benefit of a dual core processor and double the RAM. 

Yep.  I want the Tablet version because of the capacity, processor, and so on.  I like browsing the web on the NC and reading on it and all.  It isn't a true tablet, depending on your definition of what a tablet must be.  I don't need more of a tablet in many ways, but a souped up ereader with more tab capabilites suits me fine. 

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Darkkin

[ Edited ]

Technology always updates, upgrades, and outdates.  If you don't want to pay full price for a new piece of technology wait a year and buy it on clearance.  I've had my NC since March and I have hauled the thing to heck and back, completed most of my homework for my master's course on it, read way too much, kept in touch with friends, and became addicted to Angry Birds.  Do I need the added features of the Tablet no, but I am pleased with what B&N turned out.  Why can everything else always upgrade with no whiff of whining, (or maybe there is, I just don't go hunting those boards), but if B&N should do the same thing, it is the End of the World as We Know It!  (Thank you R.E.M.).  Reality check: Technology always updates, upgrades, and outdates.  Self entitlement is not a pretty thing to witness...But we see too much of it everyday.

An excercise all should endeavor to complete before embarking on rampant whining:

Take a step back from your device and ask yourself the following questions:

Have I enjoyed my device?

Have I used it regularly?

Will it be upgraded?

(End Rant...Steps off soap box and walks away.)

'Of wings and words and dancing milkweed seeds...'

Contributor
arby44
0 Kudos

If you really feel that you need the Nook color to be a tablet and you don't want to "root" it, you could do what I did a little while back. You can buy a SD card and put the Andriod system on it or buy a SD with N2A on it and then reboot.  You now have a dual boot Nook. let the reboot alone and it comes up as a tablet or hit a key in the first 5 seconds (there is a count down at the top of the screen) and then you would boot up as a NOOK.

Distinguished Correspondent
DaveAvl
0 Kudos

ricci427 wrote:

The technology didnt change, the tablet is simply an unlocked nook color !!!!

I'd really be interested to know where you learned that... could you point us to a spec sheet showing no differences in the "technology" (hardware)?

roustabout

"The technology didnt change, the tablet is simply an unlocked nook color !!!!"

Ok, time to fess up.  Clearly, this poster knows about what I'd thought was the super-secret colony of ETs that BN is holding in lockdown to design a single chip that magically sprouts extra cores and is able to grow double density memory right in place. 

It's true.  I'm already running Nook OS 1.6 on my quad core Nook Color - I followed the instructions in the super secret xda IRC channel. 

The coolest thing is that I was able to sneak my NC into a linear accelerator for a bit, so not only am I running a 3 ghz  quad core monster, it's starting to grown the nanotube limb buds, and by Christmas it should be bringing me drinks when I get home - after vacuuming the place. 

And all without paying a cent for an upgrade. 

What I'm really looking forward to is the day it's got the optical sensors grown, and I can have it start doing my job down at the circus, while I stay home, watch infomercials and cash my paychek, all without leaving the comfort of my '63 Barcalounger Supreme. 

<Muahahahahahaha>

"no warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized." Fourth Amendment to the US Constitution.
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

Roustabout, not sure how you got that, but I'm definitely looking forward to the software upgrade that will give me a dual-core processor and double my RAM.

Contributor
Nathander_Von_Eric
0 Kudos

I don't feel ripped off at all.

I looked the Nook Color specs, decided it would suit my purposes and bought it.

So they are comming out with a new one? So what?

That's business.

Should I be upset that the Commodore 64 I bought way back when doesn't match up to the latest PC's on the market?

Get a grip. They were selling a product. You made the decision to buy it. No one forced you.

Enjoy what you have.