Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

Re: Feeling Ripped off by Nook Tablet

THE POINT he is making is that B&N is handlinig the release of the NOOK TABLET badly. I bought my Nook Color less than 2 months ago .. and i am feeling VERY ripped off. I KNOW that B&N already knew they were dropping the price but wanted to squeeze as much as possible out of us. Now they are not offering a trade up or discount to Nook Color owners for the Tablet. That is not only unfair...but greedy as well. And I for one will be looking else where for my next tablet which is being relesed 3 days before the Nook Tablet and for 50 bucks less. O_O

Contributor
ricci427

wow, seems I upset more than a few pin headed people....

There are plenty of other posts on the boards of poeple saying they feel cheated !!!!!

Sorry, if the term "ripped off" was more offensive than cheated.

Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

LOL   They all probably work for B&N  :smileyhappy: 

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

>>THE POINT he is making is that B&N is handlinig the release of the NOOK TABLET badly. I bought my Nook Color less than 2 months ago .. and i am feeling VERY ripped off. I KNOW that B&N already knew they were dropping the price but wanted to squeeze as much as possible out of us. Now they are not offering a trade up or discount to Nook Color owners for the Tablet. That is not only unfair...but greedy as well. And I for one will be looking else where for my next tablet which is being relesed 3 days before the Nook Tablet and for 50 bucks less. O_O<<

If you bought yours less than 2 months ago, then a little research would have told you that a "Nook Color 2" was imminent.  It was so imminent that the original date was rumored to be September.  Barnes & Noble did not just drop this on us with no warning.  By the way, where was the pre-announcement from Amazon not to buy a new Kindle yet, since they had the Kindle Fire coming up soon? 

Trade-ups, in the manner you suggested, are typically offered for owners of products that are at the end of their life cycle when the new product comes out.  They are NOT offered when an entirely different product will be sold alongside the one that you bought. That's the case here. The Nook Color is still around and about to get a hefty firmware upgrade.  Should Apple have offered purchasers of the iPHone an upgrade toward the iPad? 

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

The OP was simply wrong. Sorry that offends you, but he was. He said the devices were exactly the same except for the software.  In point of fact, the one thing that will be THE SAME between the two is the software.

Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

Should'a, woulda, coulda, .... all you said is true and pointless. Since the bottom line is money and whether or not you stay loyal to a company/product or not. The Kindle Fire is a better product at a cheaper price.

I LOVE my Nook Color. Please do NOT mistake my post as being negative toward the product. I would recomment it to anyone that has a lot of money to spend...or that does not live check to check like a lot of us do. My feelings are toward the comapny... not the product. And yes you are right i SHOULD have researched it further. and i HAVE done that this time comparing the Kindle fire to the Nook Tablet...as well as all the off brand tablets out there. and the Fire is now the best value for MY money. Peace.

Contributor
Gun_Shy

"If you bought yours less than 2 months ago, then a little research would have told you that a "Nook Color 2" was imminent.  It was so imminent that the original date was rumored to be September.  Barnes & Noble did not just drop this on us with no warning."

And yes they DID tell me that .... and said it would be in the form of a SOFTWARE UPGRADE not a whole new unit. Please do not sound so condescending in your responses when you do not know the entire story.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4

I will never understand how anyone ever feels cheated, ripped off, whatever, for paying what they felt was a fair price for a product they thought was worth paying for when they bought it. I paid $259 for my original NOOK (more than the NC ever cost) inks February 16, 2910. A couple of months later, the price dropped and the wifi only model was released. Was I ripped off? Of course not. I paid a price I was willing to pay for it. If I hadn't been, I shouldn't have bought it at all.
Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

>>And yes they DID tell me that .... and said it would be in the form of a SOFTWARE UPGRADE not a whole new unit. Please do not sound so condescending in your responses when you do not know the entire story.<<

And there IS a software upgrade for the current device....and an entirely new device, that will not replace the one you bought. 

Contributor
ricci427
0 Kudos

Not sure of the spec's on the two, I runa  rooted Nook Color, can't a rooted Nook Color do pretty much what the Nook Tablet can? 

Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

Yes it can, however the Nook tablet is a dual core processor with twice the resident ram which should make it much faster and it has a better battery life expectancy.

Inspired Contributor
VAharleygirl
0 Kudos

Ripped off by the introduction of Nook Tablet? Not really.

I feel more "ripped off" that B&N has introduced a new model based on the NC when they haven't (yet) addressed 2 (IMO) major issues: Landscape mode for non-rooted Colors - per their advertising for the first 6 months of sale, and the poorly-made charging cables.

But the Tablet HAD to come out as a response to the Fyre. Otherwise, B&N risks losing what more-or-less equal market share they have. Yes, Amazon has a LOT more eBooks available. But B&N does have the option for most folks, to visit a brick & mortar store for assistance or just to get a free hour of reading. And B&N addressed the "need" for some eReader users (like myself) to have a back-lit option.

If 1.4 for the NC does indeed bring it up to equality w/ the NT, barring things like the mic & possibly streaming videos due to internal hardware differences, than I think I'll be rather happy w/ my NC for a while longer. Otherwise, I'll be getting the N2A card for sure. 1.4 has gotta have the landscaping, and should have some method to allow me to scoot downloads from one folder to another or otherwise be able to read while on the road & not near my personal computer (a lot of what I read would likely get me fired if I routed through my work PC ^_^ )

But feeling "ripped off" for a new product coming out? It's the nature of the beast. Tech does that. Sucks, but it's the way it goes.

Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan

In all honesty, I cannot imagine anyone feeling "ripped off" because a newer device came on the market. Good grief! It happens ALL the time. A computer is obsolete by the time you take it out of the box and set it up. This is not a "new" concept!!

If you are upset with anyone, it should be with yourself. Do some research before you buy a piece of electronics. The rumors of a new device always get leaked and Google is your friend.  All you have to do is wait for the newer device. And if you don't want to wait, then buy what's out there and be happy with what you bought!! I bought my NC (refurbished because I knew a newer model was soon to appear) about a month ago.........do I feel "ripped off"? Absolutely not. I read the rumors and felt the NC as is  with a n2a card suited my needs just fine.

How long do you think companies would actually stay in business if they never changed their products? Or if they told customers, "Wait. Don't buy that item now, because we are going to bring out a newer, improved version next month!" how many current devices do you think they would actually sell?  By the time you figure out all the stuff on your Motorola smartphone, I can guarantee you Motorola has shipped a "newer, faster, better" smartphone to their dealers. It's a fact of life. Deal with it. If you don't like the rules, then don't play the game.

Frequent Contributor
Nookie_Nookerson
0 Kudos

No, that is the point that everyone is trying to make to you two - a rooted nook color can do more then the nook tablet can do. It does it, however, slower and with less memory.
So I got that goin for me........which is nice.
Distinguished Correspondent
MDD73

I got mine 2 days before they made the announcement that the big announcement was coming.  I do not feel cheated or ripped off (though they did give me a $50 refund when the price dropped).  With the 1.4 upgrade and Nook Comics the Nook Color will do everything I want it to and more.  Faster, lighter, microphone, that's fine.  I don't have a regular WiFi connection, so I need my books stored on the device, not in a cloud.  I just want to read books and comics, on my device, when I want.  I can do that.  Thank you.

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure

[ Edited ]

In a perfect world all retailers/manufacturers would only ever make exactly the amount of products consumers will buy and they will run out before consumers get mad about a new product being announced. 

In a perfect world all products created would be perfect as is and need no upgrading or newer version because they far exceed the needs or desires of a shiny-hungry marketplace.  Such products will not become obsolete until the purchaser's far in the future demise so that neither will outlive or outlast the other. 

In a perfect world all competitors would agree never to release anything with features that surpass another's product so that consumers will not ever have to make a decision whose glitter they will go with and consumers will no longer run around with a glazed "I got this, now I want that" look in their eyes.

In a perfect world as soon as any product is due to have a release announcement, potential buyers will have the information beamed to their brains just before they hand a cashier their credit card to purchase an item that is now obsolete.

Several truths here of course.  Perfection is limited to a beautiful poofy cloud on a sunny day and a product is obsolete as soon as it has been manufactured or even announced.  Manufacturers are already planning the next gen just as they are set to let loose with the current gen.  And always, always there will be bigger, better, faster, newer, and shinier.  I am adding this addendum to Desiderata.

I once bought a camera, barely had the box open when I read the company was releasing an upgrade in a month.  I paid $799 for it-the new one was going to be the same price.  I ridiculed the camera I owned and asked it why it couldn't be like the new one I had been cheated out of.  I demanded to know what it was going to give me that that one that hadn't been released could not.  Once I pressed the shutter button I knew the answer.  It gave me pictures in that moment.  It provided the here and now that the future camera could not. 

I apologized to my camera and we've gotten along well since then.  Had I known about the new camera to be released I might have waited, but then I wouldn't have gotten some awesome pics of the sun setting in my front yard, or the rainbow that seemed to start or end in the middle of the pond out back. 

Once you decide to wait for a newer, better product you begin to chase your tail and with the way things are today, you just end up waiting and never doing.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Contributor
Bronxsta
0 Kudos

I was upset at first too.  Then I read about the Color's 1.4 update and all the awesome features we'll be getting (finally real Netflix, not just that queue manager!!!!!) and I was happy again.

But really they should change the way that Tablet looks. Compare the Kindle Fire to the older Kindles, do a remodel like that.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

You have to remember what the market was like when the NOOKcolor came out. Unless I'm mistaken (and I very well could be), the NC was a game changer in a lot of ways. At the time it came out, it was unique as far as the ereaders between the two giants (B&N and A) were concerned. Amazon only had e-ink, not computer-type screens. I also think there weren't very many 7" tablets on the market at the time; were there? I think the NC helped to create a demand for them. If that's the case, at the time it came out making the NC what the NT is purported to be wouldn't have made much sense at all.

Distinguished Scribe
Omnigeek
0 Kudos

Gun_Shy wrote:

THE POINT he is making is that B&N is handlinig the release of the NOOK TABLET badly. I bought my Nook Color less than 2 months ago .. and i am feeling VERY ripped off. I KNOW that B&N already knew they were dropping the price but wanted to squeeze as much as possible out of us. Now they are not offering a trade up or discount to Nook Color owners for the Tablet. That is not only unfair...but greedy as well. And I for one will be looking else where for my next tablet which is being relesed 3 days before the Nook Tablet and for 50 bucks less. O_O

The original poster didn't have a point, he had a whine.  Why is B&N handling the Nook Tablet release badly?  You bought your NC less than 2 months ago -- 10 months after it was released.   People have been speculating since July or August that a new Nook might come out this fall.  I personally didn't think B&N HAD to come out with a NC2 as some people were saying but it was certainly possible.

Does Dell offer you a trade-in discount when they announce a new product 2 months after you bought your PC or notebook?  How about Apple?  My mother didn't get an offer of a trade-in or discount when they announced the iPad 2 a month and a half after she bought her iPad 1.  If you're going with the Smoke 2 days AFTER the Nook Tablet, can I have your Nook Color?  I'll even pay you half the cost of your Smoke for your nearly new Nook Color so I can root it and have a better (or equivalent without rooting) tablet than the Smoke for half the cost.

Currently reading: Destiny of the Republic, The Heritage of Shannara, Lonely Planet: Melbourne & Victoria
Frequent Contributor
LoganK
0 Kudos

I was upset at first too.  Then I read about the Color's 1.4 update and all the awesome features we'll be getting (finally real Netflix, not just that queue manager!!!!!) and I was happy again.

Absolutely agreed. On the one hand, they certainly aren't doing much to differentiate the Nook Tablet from the Nook Color. On the other hand, it's because they aren't leaving the Nook Color owners behind.

But really they should change the way that Tablet looks. Compare the Kindle Fire to the older Kindles, do a remodel like that.

For people like me that will (probably foolishly) upgrade, I am actually happy that I can use the same accessories (like the cover and the charger) with my new product. I also really like the distinctive look and styling of the Nook Color.