Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67
0 Kudos

Re: Feeling Ripped off by Nook Tablet

Nope. I love my NC! The new tablet isn't unrestricted BTW. Instead of whining, if you want an NC free of restrictions, root it! You can do it via the SD card so your device will dual boot into your choice of the NC stock or Android 2.3, warranty intact. That's what I did and I have full Android Market access, Netflix, Hulu, the Kindle app, etc on mine. 

Really, you need to chill.

Distinguished Correspondent
SIGal67

[ Edited ]

Gun_Shy wrote:

THE POINT he is making is that B&N is handlinig the release of the NOOK TABLET badly. I bought my Nook Color less than 2 months ago .. and i am feeling VERY ripped off. I KNOW that B&N already knew they were dropping the price but wanted to squeeze as much as possible out of us. Now they are not offering a trade up or discount to Nook Color owners for the Tablet. That is not only unfair...but greedy as well. And I for one will be looking else where for my next tablet which is being relesed 3 days before the Nook Tablet and for 50 bucks less. O_O

Oh cry me a river! I read the same crap over on the Amazon boards once the new Kindles were announced. You people who throw tantrums and whine and scream about being ripped off and demanding discounts and freebies and all that really need to get over your entitlement complex. You're the ones being greedy and unreasonable, not BN.

Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

Ummm YES dell DOES offer a trade up Discount on ALL their Laptops !!! O_o 

Contributor
Gun_Shy
0 Kudos

"Oh cry me a river! I read the same crap over on the Amazon boards once the new Kindles were announced. You people who throw tantrums and whine and scream about being ripped off and demanding discounts and freebies and all that really need to get over your entitlement complex. You're the ones being greedy and unreasonable, not BN."

And so we should ALL think like YOU of course ... yes thats right lets not let ANYONE else have their own opinions... lets all FOLLOW and do just like this moron !!! How about getting over YOUR superiorty complex !!! O_o

Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Gun_Shy wrote:

When I bought my Dell, they offered some type of trade in program, but I had to opt in at the time I bought the laptop and determine when I would be trading it in, 2, 3, 4 years.  And I believe there was a cost to it.  Since I don't have a crystal ball as to when I'm going to need (want) a new computer, I opted out.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

Gun_Shy wrote:

I bought my Nook Color less than 2 months ago .. and i am feeling VERY ripped off.

All you had to do was look up how long the device had been on the market, then get the gerbil upstairs to run maybe half of one lap on his wheel to provide you with the likely timing of a new model. 

Gun_Shy wrote:

The Kindle Fire is a better product at a cheaper price.

The only advantage the KF has over the NT is more apps in its walled garden, and a cross-promotion with Amazon's existing Prime membership. Those factors are balanced in both the NT and NC by the "enhanced" reading materials and alternatives to the Prime services.

The only hardware advantage the KF has over the NC is a dual core processor, which is balanced by the NC's expandable storage. The NT has multiple hardware advantages over the KF: double the RAM, double the storage, expandable storage, a microphone, and very likely the ability to boot first from external media.

If you've already set up camp in Amazon's walled garden, the Fire may be a better value for you personally, but it is not in any sense a "better product."

Reader 2
Salido165
0 Kudos

But for some of us it is different. I bought my Nook six weeks ago. I had not read or heard of Barnes and Noble moving into the Tablet PC realm. The Sale Rep did not mention that in a month there would be a new version.

I also feel ripped off, I can not believe B&N would have kept a new product under until nearly the day it launched. Intel, AMD, MS, Apple, they all annouce Months in advanced that a new version will be available. If the information had been available 2 months ago I would have waited. The information was purposfully withheld, that is why many people feel duped, cheated and outraged..

Inspired Wordsmith
BFCoughlin
0 Kudos

Actually, no, I don't feel ripped off.  I've had my NC to enjoy since March.  Just stock, it does eveyrthing I want it to do; but now that it's dual booted with CM&, I have everything the NT offers and then some...I can, for example, read Kindle books if I wanted to.  Technology advances, prices drop, new stuff is offered.  I try to buy relatively early in the cycle, so I have nine months or so of having the Latest and the Greatest if it's a product for which I have a need (or perceived need...)  And then, eventually, something will leapfrog what I have. Such is life.  Most of the time, what I have suffices and I can live with its no longer beig the Latest and the Greatest.

Inspired Wordsmith
taosaur

Apple invades people's homes in the company of sheriff's deputies if they suspect information about their hardware is being leaked ahead of launch date. People know when new Apple products are coming based on rumors, the timing of past releases, and general expectations regarding the production cycle of electronic goods. 

It is easier than ever to do consumer research.

At no point in history was it a good idea to rely on salespeople for product information. 

As past posters have said, you determined at the time of your purchase that the Nook Color was worth the amount of currency you exchanged for it. If your research was sufficient and your reasoning sound, the release of a new product should not impact that decision. If your experience buying the Nook Color taught you something about what you should consider when making an electronics purchase and what kind of information you should gather beforehand, then write Barnes and Noble a thank you note. 

Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

bklvr896 wrote:

Gun_Shy wrote:

When I bought my Dell, they offered some type of trade in program, but I had to opt in at the time I bought the laptop and determine when I would be trading it in, 2, 3, 4 years.  And I believe there was a cost to it.  Since I don't have a crystal ball as to when I'm going to need (want) a new computer, I opted out.

Best Buy will something similar to this for some products. They will buy back after 31 days.  Great deal-they pay you half after that time,   And it goes down from there.  For a NOOKcolor the buy back program costs 20 bucks.  After 31 days they will buy it back for $99.50.  From 6 to 12 months-$79.60.  12 to 18 months-$59.70.  18 to 24 months-$39.80.  And people think B&N is ripping them off.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Distinguished Bibliophile
patgolfneb
0 Kudos

Warning, smart aleck response.:manwink: So I am wondering just what is the cutoff for how long you have to own something before you have been ripped off by a new model upgrade or price reduction.  Did I get ripped off because I bought a car last week and they announced new incentives this week? Certainly a much bigger purchase.  What about grocery items, clothes, TVs. If anything I buy now is on sale on black friday have I been ripped off?  Of course not.  You bought when you bought based on what you knew. Lacking perfect knowledge we all get lucky sometimes or sometimes not. I think one important point is that I have received enjoyable use of my CNK for 5-6 months.  If I had waited till now I would get an updated product but have lost that opprotunity.  Certainly upgrades and rewarding customer loyalty has value and each will factor that in future purchases, but you were not ripped off. Besides anyone who has done any research at all in the past 6 weeks should have been able to figure out a new model was coming.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK

Salido165 wrote:

But for some of us it is different. I bought my Nook six weeks ago. I had not read or heard of Barnes and Noble moving into the Tablet PC realm. The Sale Rep did not mention that in a month there would be a new version.

I also feel ripped off, I can not believe B&N would have kept a new product under until nearly the day it launched. Intel, AMD, MS, Apple, they all annouce Months in advanced that a new version will be available. If the information had been available 2 months ago I would have waited. The information was purposfully withheld, that is why many people feel duped, cheated and outraged..

So many painful comments there.

The Nook Tablet is not a Tablet PC, it is not a generic tablet, and it is not significantly different from the Nook Color other than being faster and, possibly, offering Netflix HD support in addition to Netflix support.

They did announce the new product before releasing it, about two weeks in advance, in fact. The Kindle Fire certainly had a bigger lead time, six weeks (but, to be fair, they also didn't have a previous product to compete with the new one). What amount of time is sufficient notice?

Apple keeps the tightest secrets in the industry. You are kidding yourself if you think they announce anything ahead of time. Intel, AMD, and Microsoft are better, but not by much.

The sales representative had no idea a new product was coming, so they are not to be blamed.

I'm an "industry insider" in that I work for a company that releases products. Let me give you a tip: about one month after the Nook Tablet releases (if not sooner), B&N is going to start working on a new product. They don't know when it will release yet, but they will announce it as soon as they are finished, and then release a couple of weeks later as manufacturing builds up stock and ships units where needed.

How would you have done better?

Mark_OB1
Topics: 23
Kudos: 1,358

[ Edited ]

richardwrite25 commented:

> (One analyst I read yesterday highly doubts that Barnes & Noble can sell such a high-end tablet at $249 at a profit.....which means they need to keep everyone on the stock interface and not allow rooting). <

Complete nonsense. I guess that HTC won't be making any profit on their even more capable Flyer at 50 bucks more.  I wonder where their secondary revenue stream is that allows them to sell their 7" tablet "at a loss".

Honestly, an "analyst" these days is anyone with a computer and a willingness to spew dreck.  Give them a soapbox and they'll come up with something to say to drive traffic.  Idle speculation that no one will remember or care about, two minutes after it's determined to be incorrect.

The exact same thing could have been said, with just as much certainty, about the original NC one year ago. 

- Mark

Inspired Scribe
Doreenpv
0 Kudos

Nope

I have had my NC for 1 yr.

I preordered my NT on announcement day.

A year is a long time when referring to technology.

Contributor
RustyAZ

I don't feel ripped off at all. I've had my NC almost a year, and I've enjoyed it every single day, I can't imagine life without it now. Especially with the n2a card. If it imploded today I'd feel like I got my moneys worth. :-)
Contributor
fanmynook
0 Kudos

I have had my Nook Color just since the middle of summer, but I don't feel at all ripped off! I have enjoyed all that time with my Nook Color tremendously. The Tablet isn't all that different (I have a huge memory card in mine anyway). I am very pleased with the fact that although they came out with a new product, they are still continually upgrading my slightly older model, and it is about to be 2 upgrades better than when I bought it, and it was worth the money then. When I wear it out, I will buy the next one, which I am sure will be a bigger step up than the current Tablet.

Frequent Contributor
cindylee60
0 Kudos

I'm curious....for all the people who feel ripped off, will you take your business elsewhere? And are you prepared to be "ripped off" again? Because that's how the industry works.

This same conversation goes on in nearly every other forum for every other tablet/cell phone/what-have-you. (over in the Droid forums, people are pissed off becuase the Motorola released the Droid 3 a few months ago and now Droid 4 news has leaked)

I guess I'm not saying you're wrong to feel ripped off exactly, just that this is a fact of life in electronics that you have to get used to.

I rarely buy first releases of small electronics....but in the case of the Nook Color, last year I was at a point where I wanted a tablet....I'm a reader, one of those weirdos who won't buy anything "Apple", and hell, it was my birthday! The Nook Color, which was the best buy on the market at the time, totally filled the bill. I've been extremely happy with it since....rooted and then unrooted.

I don't feel ripped off that something new is coming out, I'm HAPPY! I'm glad that B&N has been successful enough in the Tab field to continue on.

Contributor
pastnooker
0 Kudos

I don't understand the "ripped off" arguement either. When I had my NC I was very happy with it, but it just did not do everything i wanted it to. No hard feelings, I just sold and got what I wanted. Now when I got my iphone 4, and the iphone 4S came out, I felt a little out in the cold. One call to AT&T CS and I was able to exchange my phone for the newest and bestest, and that was 51 days after my original purchase, I am a happy camper. Will I stay with AT&T? of course, they realized that a customer of over 12 years is an important asset.

I was looking at the Kindle Fire, now I think the Nook Tablet deserves a second look, now that i have my ipad, I don't need a do-it-all reading tablet, just a good e reader.

Contributor
Trankster
0 Kudos

Had mine nearly a year, so I don't feel ripped off or mislead.  I wanted it for the ePub ereader and touch screen.  The other features and limited Android tablet functions were a nice plus but not my reason for purchasing. 

Change and keeping upcoming product releases quiet is just a fact of life.  If it really bothers you, you could sell your nearly new NC on eBay (used are going for around $150) and buy the Nook Tablet or AZ Fire.

Nallia
Topics: 125
Kudos: 3,263
Solutions: 4

[ Edited ]

Salido165 wrote:

B&N has done this since the launch of the first NOOK in late 2009.  There has been no advanced notice for any new device or software update (after the first estimate of the first software update for the original NOOK came and went and there was a huge outcry over it) in two years and four new devices.

Outraged?  Really?  Wow.  How ridiculous.  It's a toy.  It isn't a necessity.  Some people really need to put some tihngs in perspective if they're becoing outraged because they made a choice to buy a toy before the newer toy was announced.  Talk about a first world problem.