Wordsmith
gandalf1369

Re: Feeling Ripped off by Nook Tablet

I find it amazing that so many children have purchased nooks and NookColors in the past.  Then when a new product is introduced they all come out of the woodwork and whine, cry, complain, and throw temper tantrums because "they were ripped off" or "they were cheated".

My advise to them is to NEVER buy anything electronic but to WAIT until the ultimate all-doing electronic gadget is introduced.  If they can hold off till to at least 2025 I'm pretty sure that B&N, Amazon, Dell, Samsung, and all the other technology vendors should be able to satisfy them. :smileyvery-happy:

**** He Who Dies With The Most Toys Wins ****
Frequent Contributor
Bluepen61

My reply to the original post: no.

Not all who wander are lost. ---J. R. R. Tolkien
Nook HD 8 GB, Stock Root and Other Mods
Inspired Contributor
BeachCatFan

Salido165 wrote:

But for some of us it is different. I bought my Nook six weeks ago. I had not read or heard of Barnes and Noble moving into the Tablet PC realm. The Sale Rep did not mention that in a month there would be a new version.

I also feel ripped off, I can not believe B&N would have kept a new product under until nearly the day it launched. Intel, AMD, MS, Apple, they all annouce Months in advanced that a new version will be available. If the information had been available 2 months ago I would have waited. The information was purposfully withheld, that is why many people feel duped, cheated and outraged..

GOOGLE is your friend. Use it before making that electonics purchase and 9 times out of 10 you will find that the newer product has been leaked. Do your research, especially after any electronic gadget has been out on the market for over a few months (maybe days, in some cases!).

If you are constantly chasing the newest, latest, and greatest product out there, you will either be waiting forever for it or you will go broke buying gadgets! Of course, you could just buy something and then choose to be either happy with your purchase or miserable because you THINK you got ripped off a few weeks later!!

I bought mine about a month ago. Trust me, by coming to this forum and by using GOOGLE, I already knew that B&N was planning on releasing a new product. Did I care? No. The NC did what I wanted it to do and I ordered it. After Monday's announcement was I sorry I didn't wait? No. My NC does what I want it to do. I had installed an n2a card in it anyway. If I want a faster experience, I will use my computer. I have not found the NC to be slow and I'm not in that big of a hurry, anyway :smileyvery-happy:

Reader 4
JerseyGirlNJ

I had been thinking about getting a nook since the summer, but I looked at the information available and saw that it had come out last October and new that some kind of an upgrade would be coming out, so I held off on my purchase waiting to see whatever the new product was going to be. If you did not do your research, there rep behind the counter has no obligation to tell you that a newer model is coming out. I have friends who work at BN and they all assumed that something was coming out but had no real information before the middle of October, so they couldn't have told you anything anyway. This is a simple case of Buyer Beware. As the buyer it is your responsibility to do you research and make your purchase decision.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,253
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Where do these people come from?

[ Edited ]

I would like to know what world some of these complainers live in.  Some have said that what B&N has done is typical for the technology world.  I submit that this is typical for the entire consumer world:

Haven't any of these people bought something at the supermarket (or mall, or whatever), and found out the day after their "return privilege" expires, that the same product is now on sale for less?  Like a new car, for instance.

In my mind, this isn't a question of maturity;  it's a question of being in contact with reality.

I also wonder if these people complain when they buy a product, and find out the next day that the price of the product has gone up ...

LG G3 phone & G Pad 8.3 Android 4.4.2 rooted
2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.
Distinguished Bibliophile
keriflur

Re: Where do these people come from?

Googling isn't even necessary.  Simple math will suffice.  When did the product come out?  If it was more than 10 months ago, odds are good a new product is going to come out soon.

To the OP -

Yes, you were absolutely ripped off.  You only got to use your NC for 10 months before a new product was released.  And you're getting an upgrade so that your software matches that new product.  You're right, B&N has TOTALLY SCREWED YOU.

You should leave B&N and go buy a kindle.  That'll show 'em.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

[ Edited ]

Actually, it's even more absurd than that supermarket example.  In the supermarket example, it's the same product that goes on sale the next week.  This is more akin to me buying Corn Flakes at $3.00 this week, and then complaining that the following week, new Cocoa Corn Flakes came out at $3.49, and I feel "ripped off," because Kelloggs never told me that Cocoa Corn Flakes was coming out this week, and saying that if I had known,I never would have bought regular Corn Flakes.

keriflur
0 Kudos

richardwrite25 wrote:

Actually, it's even more absurd than that supermarket example.  In the supermarket example, it's the same product that goes on sale the next week.  This is more akin to me buying Corn Flakes at $3.00 this week, and then complaining that the following week, new Cocoa Corn Flakes came out at $3.49, and I feel "ripped off," because if Kelloggs never told me that Cocoa Corn Flakes was coming out this week, and saying that if I had known,I never would have bought regular Corn Flakes.

Or in the OP's case, cocoa cornflakes come out 10 months later...

Reader
mhrzxzxa
0 Kudos

Let me tell you something. Barnes and Nobles has been very following a very reactive approach to answer the threats raised by e-book selllers like amazon. Perhaps, the only exception to this would be nook simple touch.

I have contacts with people (though I am afraid I cannot disclose the names) who were present in both kindle fire and nook tablet press events and word to mouth it has been communicated that Kindle fire is much faster than nook tablet because of the way in which it is designed. 

Multiplying the processing power and memory is not neccessarily going to multiply the performance or zippiness of the device in a directly propotional manner.The OS has to have the capability to utilize it.

Personally, I have tried all the 3 nooks and today I am dis-satisfied with all except Nook simple touch. Also, B&N is really pathetic in revising their products both in software and price actively rather than waiting for some competitor to show up their cards and finaly they tweak their products to respond.

Hence, after careful consideration I would switch to KF rather than NT. Again, this is my personal opinion based on the facts I have gathered. Moreover, it is always good to be associated with an organization which tells them what value add their products offer rather than an organization who looks around what their competitors are offering and then make adjustments to their policies and finally critize the competitor's product that they are using to create their own baseline.

Good luck and all the best which ever side you are on!

Distinguished Correspondent
Wild_images

They make Cocoa Corn Flaks?   

keriflur
0 Kudos

Wild_images wrote:

They make Cocoa Corn Flaks?   

No, but they should.  And when they do, I think we should all complain about how cheated we are that we've been eating the regular kind all these years and why didn't anyone tell us the cocoa ones were coming out?  I could have gone my whole life waiting to taste a corn flake if I'd only known when the cocoa ones would launch.  :smileywink:

Frequent Contributor
geertm

mhrzxzxa wrote:

Let me tell you something. Barnes and Nobles has been very following a very reactive approach to answer the threats raised by e-book selllers like amazon. Perhaps, the only exception to this would be nook simple touch.

I have contacts with people (though I am afraid I cannot disclose the names) who were present in both kindle fire and nook tablet press events and word to mouth it has been communicated that Kindle fire is much faster than nook tablet because of the way in which it is designed. 

Multiplying the processing power and memory is not neccessarily going to multiply the performance or zippiness of the device in a directly propotional manner.The OS has to have the capability to utilize it.

Personally, I have tried all the 3 nooks and today I am dis-satisfied with all except Nook simple touch. Also, B&N is really pathetic in revising their products both in software and price actively rather than waiting for some competitor to show up their cards and finaly they tweak their products to respond.

Hence, after careful consideration I would switch to KF rather than NT. Again, this is my personal opinion based on the facts I have gathered. Moreover, it is always good to be associated with an organization which tells them what value add their products offer rather than an organization who looks around what their competitors are offering and then make adjustments to their policies and finally critize the competitor's product that they are using to create their own baseline.

Good luck and all the best which ever side you are on!

Let's see:

- B&N was first with a Color tablet ereader, Amazon releases the Fire a year later.

- B&N was first with an e-ink touchscreen ereader. Amazon releases the Kindle Touch half a year later.

- B&N was the first to offer lending of books. Amzon introduces this a year (?) later.

- B&N had public library suport from the first Nook on. Amazon recently introduced this.

A very following and reactive approach indeed!

Bibliophile
bklvr896

mhrzxzxa wrote:

Do you really think that Amazon announced the Fire and other Kindles in late September and B&N said, oh we better do something and they were create and test an update in about 5 weeks??? The update had to have been in the works for a while now, they don't create updates in a matter of weeks, not a reaction to new devices by Amazon.

Frequent Contributor
LoganK

mhrzxzxa wrote:

(The original Nook Color did need some work on responsiveness, but B&N addressed it fairly quickly.) I guess we'll all know next week when the Kindle Fire and the B&N Nook Tablet can be used by actual people and not merely demonstrated by company staff. For my part, I'm expecting the Nook Tablet to be mostly like the Nook Color ... which isn't a bad thing.

mhrzxzxa wrote:

Yes, but they are using almost the same version of Android OS on the same hardware platform (in fact, the Nook Tablet uses the exact same chip as the new Google Galaxy Nexus). Considering that the B&N is less flashy and more functional (no carousel spin through my books, thank you very much), I'll be especially surprised if it feels sluggish.

mhrzxzxa wrote:

Eh, I own all of the existing Nook products, and the first edition was a little slow (but it made up for it with a nicer display among other features), but they are all good (especially when compared against what was available at the time).

B&N has been way ahead of Amazon for at least a year with the Nook Color and later the Nook STR. B&N dropped the price on the original Nook first, forcing Amazon to respond. Even so, I can't say I blame them for not wanting to get into a race-to-the-bottom price war while trying to bring premium products to the market.

Amazon has released some decent products, but that doesn't mean that B&N has to release bad ones. Amazon has better computer infrastructure, but that doesn't mean B&N isn't offering the features most people care about. And really, if you want to be honest, Sony has been kicking everyone's butt for years when it comes to customer-friendly e-Ink products.

Wordsmith
TnTexas
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

mhrzxzxa: Let me tell you something. Barnes and Nobles has been very following a very reactive approach to answer the threats raised by e-book selllers like amazon. Perhaps, the only exception to this would be nook simple touch.

Ummmm. I have no idea which was released first - the Nook Simple Touch or the Kindle Touch (I've only recently become interested in ereaders). But the NOOKcolor was definitely released first with the KF being a response to that - about a year later. I'd say in this particular case, it was Amazon that was being reactive - not B&N.

keriflur
0 Kudos

TnTexas wrote:

mhrzxzxa: Let me tell you something. Barnes and Nobles has been very following a very reactive approach to answer the threats raised by e-book selllers like amazon. Perhaps, the only exception to this would be nook simple touch.[/quote]

Ummmm. I have no idea which was released first - the Nook Simple Touch or the Kindle Touch (I've only recently become interested in ereaders). But the NOOKcolor was definitely released first with the KF being a response to that - about a year later. I'd say in this particular case, it was Amazon that was being reactive - not B&N.

The Nook Simple Touch was announced in May and started shipping June 1.  The Kindle Touch was announced last month and doesn't ship for another 10 days.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

Well, I could believe you, who have never posted here, and your anonymous sources, or I could believe PC World, which compared the two and called the Nook Tablet "the value tablet to beat."

http://www.pcworld.com/article/243308/first_impressions_nook_tablet_is_the_value_tablet_to_beat.html 

deemure

mhrzxzxa wrote:

No Barnes and Noble has not been following Amazon other than to create an ereader after Amazon did.  Which came first the NC or the Fire?  Which came first the N2E aka the Simple Touch Reader or the Kindle Touch?  Which came first, lending and library lending on the nook or lending on kindles?  It actually should be pointed out that Sony had many of these features first. 

If as you assert B&N was following Amazon then it would take several months for the NOOK Tablet to be released.  It is by and large Amazon that has been following others including Sony, Apple, Kobo, and Barnes and Noble.

Your whole premise is flawed.  And while maybe not always doing the best thing right away with updates and all, they do try to incorporate user's wishes into the updates and do try to address needs.

It is very easy to also assert something is true (like inside information) when not being able to provide facts to back the assertion up.  Please take a look at who has been reacting to whom.

And it's a case of whatever floats your boat.  I personally do not like the Amazon (Apple lite) ecosystem for kindles.  If you do, more power to you.  But both Amazon and Apple all but require you be tied to them with software that must be installed on your computer and so on.  In order to even simply download an mp3 you purchase at Amazon, you must download their Amazon Cloud Player.  Even if you already have a suitable mp3 player.  Bloatware.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Frequent Contributor
LoganK

I'm going between "attacking" and "defending" Amazon so frequently that I might have to invest in a neck brace.

deemure wrote:

And it's a case of whatever floats your boat.  I personally do not like the Amazon (Apple lite) ecosystem for kindles.  If you do, more power to you.  But both Amazon and Apple all but require you be tied to them with software that must be installed on your computer and so on.  In order to even simply download an mp3 you purchase at Amazon, you must download their Amazon Cloud Player.  Even if you already have a suitable mp3 player.  Bloatware.

You are right that B&N seems to be leaning toward user-controllable content while Amazon is leaning toward the Amazon experience.

However...

You do not have to download the Cloud Player to get MP3s. You do not have to download Amazon Downloader to get MP3s (which the Cloud Player actually utilizes). You can download your music directly from an Amazon Digital Library web page. It is less than ideal when purchasing albums because you have to download each track individually, but it works.

Inspired Wordsmith
yocalif

DeanGibson said: "In my mind, this isn't a question of maturity;  it's a question of being in contact with reality."

Actually this is the "victim" mentality that is so prevalent today at many levels.  Failing to take personal responsibility for their own lives/decisions and actions blaming everyone else, with no common sense or connection with reality.

Frankly there would be no Nookcolor 2 or "nook tablet" if it wasn't for us who bought the original Nook Color, we paid to help B&N advance the product line, many of us will gladly pay again because we liked our NC so much, we are not victims, we applaud B&N's effort and hope it makes even more improvements.