Distinguished Bibliophile
deemure
0 Kudos

Re: Feeling Ripped off by Nook Tablet

You always have to consider what fits you in the moment and is worth it price-wise.  Many people opt for DTB versions as being the best bang for their buck and they are right.  Many people opt for digital everything as being the best bang for their buck and they are right.  Tomorrow it may be that we will all have instant access to almost every bit of content ever created by man in a micro-chip embedded in our skulls for 100 million dollars.  That might seem like it's the bestest thing ever, but are you going to wait for it, can you afford to buy it, and would you really want to or need to have it?  Especially when a year later they will have made it available in more colors and will include all Sweatin' to the Oldies videos at no extra charge.

For me, the thing is I tend to buy what is right for me at the time I buy it and when I can afford to do so.  Within the time I have owned ereaders I have begun to become spoiled.  I play video games and sometimes get the guides that go with them.  I recently got one that has a horrible index so I can never find anything.  I really want it in an ebook so it could be searchable.  So, the fact that many of the other technical books that I own (mostly on learning software) are now searchable and readable on my NC is a big plus for me and I've been able to do this for about a year now on it.

"I still believe in spite of everything that people are good at heart." Anne Frank.
Correspondent
tuck229
0 Kudos

I could understand feeling frustrated if I bought a NC over the weekend, and then the new weeks starts, B&N makes their NT announcement, and the device I just bought dropped $50 in price.  But, being that I was still in the refund/return window, that's a non-issue.  Three weeks earlier, maybe frustrated.

I bought my Nook Color in September.  Honestly one of my favorite purchases in years.  I love this thing.  Of course, I bought mine refurbished.  I had a strong feeling what happened this month was going to happen.  Had B&N not sold refurbished devices, I would have waited before paying $249 for an almost year old design.

I'm amazed at how people buy stuff without doing their homework, though.  A new version of the Nook Color should have been expected right before Thanksgiving.  Cars, bicycles, DSLRs, etc. are on a cycle of offering a new model a year, traditionally.  People knew Amazon was about to release word of their tablet.  People should have expected B&N to answer with a new one of their own.  Do a little educating and you should be able to predict things like this.  Talk of the newer Nook Color has been floating around for months.  Many people just buy stuff without researching.  Go on eBay and daily you will see folks bidding on a used Nook for more money than you can buy a refurbished one from B&N with a one year warranty.  Duh! 

The new 1.4 update will really make an improvement to our NCs, I think.  It's not like B&N is pooping on us NC owners.  If I were Nook shopping TODAY, I would still buy the NC instead of the NT.  So, nope, I don't feel cheated at all.

Contributor
roninkokomo

I agree.. We were NOT ripped off. Happens all the time with electronics and cars , etc. etc.

Contributor
geek123
0 Kudos

Before feeling 'ripped' I would want to know if people can run CM7 on Nook Tablet as easily as they can in Nook Color. 

I brought  refurbished a NC and  I think it is the best value tablet on the market. The biggest worry  for NC owners should be : will there be an S/W update after 1.4 !!

On the brighter side, code for Android ICS has  been open sourced recently. So  exciting time ahead for those running CM7.

The only reason I might really feel 'ripped' is, Nook Tablet has a microphone and NC does not.

[ Someone.... please gets voice input via bluetooth working with CM7 on NC :smileyhappy: ]

Contributor
The_Shook_Family
0 Kudos

Thats life, you buy a car and 1 year later there might be a new one same model, but it has all sorts of new doo-dads thats doesn't mean you got ripped off, you bought what was available at time, same with computers, TV and just about anything we buy these days.  

The difference when looking at the specs side by side is negligible, certainly not enough to warrant coming unglued over or running out and buy a Nook Tablet when you already have a working Nook Color.  I believe it is simple as asking yourself if you really need the limited extras of the Nook Tablet versus your Nook Color or if you just want the shiniest new thing.

Just a couple of thoughts, to each their own.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25
0 Kudos

>> I brought refurbished a NC and I think it is the best value tablet on the market. The biggest worry for NC owners should be : will there be an S/W update after 1.4 !!<<

Yep, there will be.  If there's not a 1.5, then there will still be CM9, with Ice Cream Sandwich (Android 4). 

Reader 2
Salido165
0 Kudos

A flaw in the Car logic and to a lesser extent the usual electronic arguments is that B&N did not advertise that the Nook Tablet was eminent.

My only reason for feeling cheated is not because a new device was made, I am grateful that continued development on the product line is being done. My issue is that less than two months ago with all the information B&N allowed the public to have I bought the device that best suited my needs. Which was rendered inadequate a few short weeks later. If my NC was 4, 6, 12 months old. I would be happy about the Tablet. I view the company's decision to withhold information about the Tablet, as fraud. And not the fact that they release a new product.

In fact I agree wholeheartedly with those of you who content that people who have had their devices for months should not be upset.

Frequent Contributor
geertm
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]
Deleted
keriflur
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

Am I the only one that's seeing this thread backwards, with the newest posts on the top of page 1 instead of the bottom of the last page?

I looked at a couple of Nook Color threads and they're all backwards for me.  The Nook threads are going the usual way.

ETA - Nevermind, figured it out.

Inspired Correspondent
japerry

When I purchased my NC for $249 I felt it was a good investment and I still think so.

Owner of a Nook Color and a Nook Simple Touch

My First Short Story
Correspondent
moogs

Salido165 wrote:

A flaw in the Car logic and to a lesser extent the usual electronic arguments is that B&N did not advertise that the Nook Tablet was eminent.

My only reason for feeling cheated is not because a new device was made, I am grateful that continued development on the product line is being done. My issue is that less than two months ago with all the information B&N allowed the public to have I bought the device that best suited my needs. Which was rendered inadequate a few short weeks later. If my NC was 4, 6, 12 months old. I would be happy about the Tablet. I view the company's decision to withhold information about the Tablet, as fraud. And not the fact that they release a new product.

In fact I agree wholeheartedly with those of you who content that people who have had their devices for months should not be upset.

Next time any company begins working on a new product, they are hereby ordered to inform you in writing in case you have or are about to purchase any new device....happy now?
Bibliophile
bklvr896
0 Kudos

Salido165 wrote:

There is always going to be someone who bought a device just before an announcement.  If they had announced it 3 months before shipping, there would be someone who bought their's 4 months ago.  No matter when the announcement is made, someone is going to be upset because they "just bought" theirs.  

keriflur
0 Kudos

As I said above, you don't need an annoucement to figure out when a new device is coming out.  Just simple math.  A new device will come out approximately every year to year and a half.  New devices often come out just before Christmas.  So, if it's August and the device came out ten months earlier, it's pretty easy to figure out there's probably a new one coming in the next few months.  Especially when the company you're buying from has released a new device before Christmas every year since it started releasing devices.

Distinguished Scribe
richardwrite25

I'm not even going to comment on what you said. Instead, I'm going to repeat back to you what you said, and see if you feel just a LITTLE bit silly about it.  You said that you bought one product from a company and then, because they released another entirely-different product, without discontinuing the one you bought, you feel they've committed fraud because they didn't tell you that they were going to release another product that you might like even better.

Do you really want to stick to that position? 

Contributor
MLR3
0 Kudos

I agree with Nallia.  I bought the original Nook 3G (which I absolutely love) in April 2010 for $259.00 plus the replacement contract.  Both the warranty and the nook were more expensive than this Nook Tablet.  But, I was thrilled at the time.  When the Nook Color came out I was tempted , but didn't buy it.  Then I bought the N2E when it came out for $139.00.  Now it is $99.00.  Sure, I would take a refund of the difference (I'd just buy more books!), but I have definitely used my money's worth in both cases.  There are things about each that I like better than the other (3G on the N2E will never happen, but one can dream!).  However, I get that this is the way business is.  My dad worked for IBM for 36 years, and the first computer he ever  worked on was as big as a room and had less memory than my camera.  I actually find the differences in cost and hardware impressive.  Now I am thinking about the Tablet.  I am not going to freak out if I get it and something new comes out next year.  One plus for you NC owners who are buying a NT, it looks like they take the same covers and accessories, which is rare in technology changes.

I hope everyone just appreciates the benefits we have in technology and the ability to read so many varied genres and authors right on our ereaders.

New User
alexg_nook
0 Kudos

My nook color is literally 2 months old!....if only i knew that the tablet was coming out....well it was a gift so cant blame anyone........THEY SHOULD ALLOW A TRADE IN

Wordsmith
mbratch
0 Kudos

[ Edited ]

alexg_nook wrote:

My nook color is literally 2 months old!....if only i knew that the tablet was coming out....well it was a gift so cant blame anyone........THEY SHOULD ALLOW A TRADE IN

Welcome to the world of technology. There's always something better out tomorrow. I don't know any company that allows a trade-in if you miss the next wave, outside of, perhaps, a 30 day unconditional satisfaction guarantee which B&N has had in the past (maybe they still do). That's generous enough as it is, frankly. Look at the bright side: you've got a great color eReader and you're 50 bucks richer than if you had the NT. :smileyhappy:

Most electronics companies don't do much forward, specific pre-announcing of new product versions. If I don't think, for example, that Apple gave 2 months notice of their iPhone 4S.

I thought all parents taught their kids that life doesn't seem fair? I reckon not. :smileywink:

New User
alexg_nook
0 Kudos

well mbratch that true :-/

Frequent Contributor
kalmore
0 Kudos

I'm feeling double ripped off. I recently purchased the NT because it was cheap and rootable. After the 1.4.1 update. They removed sideloading and root access. Which was on of the few good things about the tablet. Oh, well it their sales on tablets affecting the company not mines.

Nook Reader (Tablet) - 4.1.2 SD (Unfunctional)

bobstro
0 Kudos

kalmore wrote:

I'm feeling double ripped off. I recently purchased the NT because it was cheap and rootable. After the 1.4.1 update. They removed sideloading and root access. Which was on of the few good things about the tablet. Oh, well it their sales on tablets affecting the company not mines.

The NT can still be rooted, it's just more work now. More options are on the horizon.

I always viewed anything beyond sideloading outside of B&N's fault. Few manufacturers actually make their stuff easy to hack on purpose. The removal of app sideloading was an unecessary kick in the teeth to the community, in my opinion. Sure, disallow some apps running and voide the warranty if it's done, but don't go out of your way to unilaterally disable it.