Frequent Contributor
tiniree
0 Kudos

Few questions from a "non-techie"?

I would like to upgrade from the very first Nook to the Glowlight but have some questions? I am NOT a techie so please don't laugh if these questions sound very basic... OK? First I would like opinions on the clarity of text between the ORIGINAL Nook & the Glowlight. Is the difference enough to make the purchase? Secondly I have read a lot about the amount of memory on the Glow. I get most of my reading from B& N with a few from the library. If I unregister my Nook to get rid of all the sideloaded books I put onto my Nook when I went a little crazy when I first got it, will I still be able to pull my B& N stuff from the nook library on the website, or will I lose them too? And lastly, if books are archived on the B&N website, do they take up memory space on the Nook? Marie
Distinguished Bibliophile
MacMcK1957
0 Kudos

Re: Few questions from a "non-techie"?

The original Nook and the NST have about the same clarity level. Some say the new glow is less clear, others say it's not enough to be significant. You'll need to judge for yourself. As for your B&N library, it will download pretty much automatically to the new one. Your archived books will not take up any space. If you want to keep any side loaded content you'll need to copy it manually to the new one. HTH
Distinguished Wordsmith
sygram
0 Kudos

If you have your sideloaded content on a microSD card in your current Nook you can just move it to the new one.  I had no problems with that when I went from my 3G 1st gen to the N2E/NST.

Correspondent
lindajm22
0 Kudos

You will see all of your B&N books as soon as you register to your account but you may have to download each of them by clicking on them from the new Nook.  They will have a "download" banner on them if they need to be downloaded.  Not sure why some books download automatically and some you have to click on, but it only takes a couple seconds for each one.

Text clarity seems to be very subjective and personal to each reader.  I don't think you'll be disappointed.  I am one of the ones who doesn't see much difference and I've had all three e-ink Nooks. 

I recommend getting a micro SD card and sideloading all of your non-B&N content onto it so that you don't have to do it again if you get another Nook in the future or if you have to return the new one for some reason.  You just take the card out and insert into the new Nook.  So easy.  I don't use the internal memory for any of my sideloaded books.

Good luck!  You're going to love it.

DeanGibson
Topics: 92
Kudos: 2,321
Solutions: 18
0 Kudos

Clarity: sharpness vs. contrast

[ Edited ]

MacMcK1957 wrote:
The original Nook and the NST have about the same clarity level. Some say the new glow is less clear, others say it's not enough to be significant.

There are two aspects of "clarity":

1. A reduction in sharpness.  No one has claimed that (and I checked for it in detail).
  2. A reduction in contrast.  This is where individuals have differing opinions.

Note that a reduction in contrast can appear (depending on one's vision, lighting, etc) to be a reduction in sharpness.  I used the screensaver images to compare sharpness (where there are fine lines displayed), and found it to be the same.

2 Nook HD/8GB + 2 Nook HD+/16GB: B&N 2.2.0 rooted
2 Nook Touch (one Ltd. Ed.): B&N 1.2.1 rooted; Dell Venue 8 Pro: Windows 8.1
2 Nook 1stEd/3G: B&N 1.7.0 rooted.; Acer Iconia A500: Android 4.0.3 rooted;
Nook Color: B&N 1.4.3 rooted; Samsung Galaxy Tab2 (7.0"): Android 4.2.2 rooted
Customer loyalty is earned, not commanded or deserved, and easily lost.
Never suspect intent where incompetence will do.